Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 12:04 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrone2k View Post
Wow, 10s! Does this mean I need to avoid Z Tejas when I visit Austin? I've enjoyed smoked dove from Mexico, but I may not be adventurous enough for what u mentioned! ;-:
Nah...the hidden jalapeno is my BIL's trick on the birds shot on his property. Our late holiday meal was quail and dove along with deer all supplied by his 9 year old son. I remembered to remove the offending pepper/chiles from most items... a little flavor goes a long way!

Z Tejas has to make their food 'southwestern', so they end up putting some sort of peppers or seasoning in most dishes. Ancho chocolate pie is killer! But don't be puttin that green sauce on my breakfast quesadilla !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 11:24 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,874,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
A nice plate of carnitas, no salsa needed...and sure as heck DON'T sprinkle cilantro on my food and ruin it!!! Cut the beans and rice down to half portions...NO raw onions, please!

If I have to eat some sort of chili pepper to maintain my resident status, you may serve me some ancho chili chocolate pie from Z Tejas! And don't be hiding slivers of jalapeno under the skin of the little bitty birds you shot out back and grilled up. Thank you!
LOLOLOL!! Too funny.....I love cilantro, but it is definitely an accquired taste. I've never met anyone who is that neutral about it. They either like it....or they hate it.

I have to have something spicy/hot (as in picante) every day, or I've missed something. I can't stand bland food!

Old 01-23-2014, 01:28 PM

2 posts, read 1,944 times
I'm not familiar with the enchiladas you describe, but it seems like a lot of people from California really like Chuy's. It's not really TexMex.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:11 PM

43 posts, read 152,335 times
If anyone is curious about what I was referring to, this was one of my regular places in Cali... if you look at the 3rd photo down, it will give you a good idea of what the sauce looks like. This is what is served most everywhere, at least in Northern California and in Las Vegas too.

senor taco, san jose, California serves excellent mexican food including tacos, burritos

Old 01-24-2014, 05:51 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,874,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyssey13 View Post
If anyone is curious about what I was referring to, this was one of my regular places in Cali... if you look at the 3rd photo down, it will give you a good idea of what the sauce looks like. This is what is served most everywhere, at least in Northern California and in Las Vegas too.

senor taco, san jose, California serves excellent mexican food including tacos, burritos
That all looks delicious.....!

The last time I had CA Mexican (Cal-Mex??) food was in the 1980s. It was good, but considerably less spicy than Tex-Mex. Is that still generally true?

Old 01-24-2014, 06:10 PM

269 posts, read 428,279 times
I had enchiladas with red sauce at Gloria's the other night. Not sure why there are so many pretending that they don't exist in TX.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:41 PM

43 posts, read 152,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
That all looks delicious.....!

The last time I had CA Mexican (Cal-Mex??) food was in the 1980s. It was good, but considerably less spicy than Tex-Mex. Is that still generally true?
It depends on where you go. In general, the 'restaurants' (with wait staff, booths, etc) are less spicy, but some of the hole in the wall taquerias made me feel like I was breathing flames after I was done eating.

PPP, are you talking about the Gloria's in Cedar Park? That's the only Gloria's I've heard of. I've never been there, but I saw it on Yelp.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:50 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,277,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyssey13 View Post
PPP, are you talking about the Gloria's in Cedar Park? That's the only Gloria's I've heard of. I've never been there, but I saw it on Yelp.
Pretty sure he was talking about Gloria's at the Domain.

1. Dallas export
2. Salvadorian more than Mexican
3. the Domain

Old 01-24-2014, 07:04 PM

269 posts, read 428,279 times
Actually its the Glorias on 6th Street and since when does something only qualify as "TEX/MEX" if its in Austin?

Old 01-24-2014, 07:09 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,277,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppp38 View Post
Actually its the Glorias on 6th Street and since when does something only qualify as "TEX/MEX" if its in Austin?
Same chain. Same menu. Same city of origin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin