Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2014, 10:57 AM

1,430 posts, read 2,375,758 times

Advertisements

LOOK AT THE GRAPH.

There are NOT "lots of people in Hyde Park with kids." There are fewer children of ALL AGES than a single-year cohort of students--and note that the number of children shrinks after five or six.

When I bought my bungalow only one bungalow on the block was student rentals. In ten years three have flipped to student rentals (and another from owner occupied to rental). Or take, for example, the Christmas light street--or what was ONCE the Christmas light street because it is dead. And the reason it is dead is that virtually all of the owner occupiers left in the last decade and the street turned virtually all student rental.

You haven't a clue what is actually going on in the neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 11:35 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,736,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpurcell View Post
LOOK AT THE GRAPH.

There are NOT "lots of people in Hyde Park with kids." There are fewer children of ALL AGES than a single-year cohort of students--and note that the number of children shrinks after five or six.

When I bought my bungalow only one bungalow on the block was student rentals. In ten years three have flipped to student rentals (and another from owner occupied to rental). Or take, for example, the Christmas light street--or what was ONCE the Christmas light street because it is dead. And the reason it is dead is that virtually all of the owner occupiers left in the last decade and the street turned virtually all student rental.

I agree that W.37th St.(Btw Guadalupe St. and Home Ln. alley) is a shadow of its former self. However, you must admit that your street is an outlier.

Those tiny bungalows cannot support a modern family of 4 and with the extreme small lots, the buildable lot area is not ameliable to additions, rather they are more competitive as tear downs, but many or those bungalows are near historic and the Hyde Park NA would have massive protests if they were ever torn down. If I wanted to rehab older homes, sorry I wouldn't chose your street, so I'm not surprised the homeowners haven't been able to sell.

Last edited by ImOnFiya; 01-26-2014 at 12:03 PM..

Old 01-26-2014, 11:58 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,760,924 times
Quote:
LOOK AT THE GRAPH.

Seen it - and, given the fact that it's located next to one of the largest universities in the entire world, seems appropriate. I would hope downtown would have similar spikes in professionals such as lawyers and accountants. Live/work/study/play in close proximity makes a lot of sense in a city where traffic is becoming a nightmare. In fact, I would definitely and do definitely support MUCH MUCH higher densities of students in Hyde Park and NUNA - this is where they SHOULD be living.

However, that doesn't preclude a single family of leaving Hyde Park - lots and lots of opportunity for infill development if the neighborhood would just stop fighting sensible student housing.

And since I lived in Hyde Park for a number of years, and NUNA throughout grad school and since I have a ton of friends in Hyde Park and I spent 3 or 4 days a week there, I have a pretty good clue as to what is going on there.

Oh, BTW - I also know a folks who lived and participated on Christmas light street in its heyday. They were renters. In fact, I'd say the vast majority of that street back then was rentals, not owner occupied. So you have no clue as to what you are talking about.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:31 PM

The core people on the Christmas light street WERE owners. When they sold and left, the tradition basically ended. The "vast majority" were certainly not rentals--there was a group of rentals at the time close to the Groovy Lube but the rest were mainly owner occupied.

What you're demanding is the end of any families in the neighborhood. So you can't be too surprised when families in the neighborhood disagree with you.

And, no, you clearly haven't a clue.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnFiya View Post
I agree that W.37th St.(Btw Guadalupe St. and Home Ln. alley) is a shadow of its former self. However, you must admit that your street is an outlier.

Those tiny bungalows cannot support a modern family of 4 and with the extreme small lots, the buildable lot area is not ameliable to additions, rather they are more competitive as tear downs, but many or those bungalows are near historic and the Hyde Park NA would have massive protests if they were ever torn down. If I wanted to rehab older homes, sorry I wouldn't chose your street, so I'm not surprised the homeowners haven't been able to sell.
37th Street is a bit of a special case (it was actually built out as a separate platted district and was called "ANZAC Place") but the point is that it illustrates the shift from owner-occupied to rentals of all types. While some specific avenues in Hyde Park proper and Hyde Park Annex are still reasonably coherent, the chipping away at the edges is consistent and constant.

Old 01-26-2014, 01:14 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,288,897 times
Quote:
The core people on the Christmas light street WERE owners. When they sold and left, the tradition basically ended. The "vast majority" were certainly not rentals--there was a group of rentals at the time close to the Groovy Lube but the rest were mainly owner occupied.

What you're demanding is the end of any families in the neighborhood. So you can't be too surprised when families in the neighborhood disagree with you.

And, no, you clearly haven't a clue.
I didn't know that these students were forcibly removing families from their homes by gunpoint. Someone should call the police!

Old 01-26-2014, 02:02 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Well, Hyde park or not, the bane of many a homeowner is an abundance of rentals. Suburban areas had to deal with the problem for years.

Old 01-26-2014, 04:22 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
How many then? 3? 4?
Income does not make an area diverse.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:25 PM

This discussion on Hyde Park illustrates EXACTLY the problem in Austin. We have too many people giving too much deferential to inflated and somewhat hysterical NIMBY, er Neighborhood, concerns over increasing density and the horror of renters - a very odd position for a majority renter city to take.

Austin would could be perfectly affordable. . .unfortunately we're going on 3 decades of extreme zoning restrictions that have severely crimped the ability to add supply to a market more in demand every single day. The result is entirely predictable - very accelerated price increases and many folks completely left out.

And - here's the really tough part - there is no easy fix to 3 decades of regulatory interference with the market place. It will take decades to add much needed supply beginning if and when we regain our senses and allow it to happen. Every day that goes by and we don't makes the problem worse and will take much longer to fix.

The solution to a demand problem is supply.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:27 PM

And the answer to one obvious retort - yes there was bad development that NIMBY's reacted to. But the solution to bad development isn't no development - it's good development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin