Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 02:11 PM

440 posts, read 714,622 times

Advertisements

I didn't have an exterminator come round in 20 years until last summer, when every bug in creation moved in to share my water supply. Before I had cats, I had more balance - geckos and spiders and even - scorpions! help keep the other bugs in check. The geckos moved out when the cats moved in.

When I lived in deep south Texas, we regularly had cans of Raid out, and the city's mosquito fogging trucks sprayed DDT everywhere when I was a kid. The reason we are more concerned about mosquitoes in Texas than people in, say, Minnesota are, is because we are very close to countries with dengue fever and the like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 10:03 PM

174 posts, read 311,913 times
Mosquito's aren't too bad here. However, they will get you if you stop "moving". You can get West Nile virus anywhere there are mosquito's (had a friend get it in Iowa of all places). Just like I got Typhus 11 months by walking by a planter on campus and ended up being hospitalized for two weeks. If you want to avoid bugs move to southern california thats about the only place that doesn't have biting insects.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:12 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koomaga View Post
Are you sure it's me? Most of my posts were regarding a property in Charlotte when we considered moving there. We run a web design company -- pretty much as far away from being an exterminator

We moved from NYC/high-rise where there were no bugs, so moving to a suburban house was a bit of a shock. Especially when we saw our first live scorpion (scorpian!) inside our home.

There were springtails everywhere, spiders in our garage, you name it. I talked to one of our neighbors and they suggested hiring a regular exterminator and we've been very, very happy with our decision.

When we had to go on an extended business trip for 5 months, we were pleasantly surprised to find absolutely no trace of any insects inside the home -- I think it's because we had the exterminators come around regularly when we were away.
Sorry, I did confuse you with another person who was reviving old threads about bugs.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:57 PM

45 posts, read 60,103 times
Does anyone here have experience with the company MosquitoNix Austin Mosquito Control | Mosquito Misting Round Rock | MosquitoNix

We are considering having a treatment program for our back yard (we have no standing water), but lots of trees.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,168 times
Default Mosquitoes Gone!

It really depends where you live in Austin that will determine your degree of mosquito problems. I live in Shady Hollow and the mosquitoes here are horrible. If you live near a greenbelt or any standing water, you're going to deal with mosquitoes, period. My parents live in Dripping Springs and they have very few issues, but they have a few acres and they are nowhere near water. Everyone in residential communities overwaters their lawns and they are breeding grounds for the little buggers.
I've tried everything. The stupid candles, the organic sprays, fans, magnets, electronic repellants--all a total waste of money. I've soaked myself and my kids in the foulest smelling ointments/sprays, only to discover several mosquito bites as I'm trying to rinse that garbage off of my myself or my kids afterwards.
I've hired a few mosquito specific companies who wanted to sell me expensive mosquito systems and nothing worked consistently. Can't they see that I already have a $3000 broken down misting system in my backyard?!
This year I went to my neighbors house for a barbeque and once the sun started setting, I grabbed my kids and headed indoors. But everyone else was outside enjoying the party. What? No mosquitoes outside, zero. They live 3 doors down from me! They told me they use this local pest control company who also treats for mosquitoes. Their name is Spott Pest Prevention and they are my new best friends. Once a month, their guy comes out outfitted with this ghostbuster backpack and power mists my entire property. It smells like an Italian restaurant after their done outside for a few days, but the mosquitoes are GONE! My kids start going crazy inside the house, and voila, "Go outside and PLAY". Life is good. I also like that its all natural. I took all my mosquito paraphernalia and threw it in the garbage this week.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:47 PM

48 posts, read 70,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillcountryheart View Post
When I lived in deep south Texas, we regularly had cans of Raid out, and the city's mosquito fogging trucks sprayed DDT everywhere when I was a kid. The reason we are more concerned about mosquitoes in Texas than people in, say, Minnesota are, is because we are very close to countries with dengue fever and the like.
We had the same thing where I grew up in Florida. It was so exciting because we'd be out playing every evening in the neighborhood streets when the mosquito truck would suddenly show up with a loud buzzing noise and bright flashing strobe lights, and then we would smell the unique, mildewy bug spray smell of the mosquito truck.

Old 07-03-2014, 04:11 PM

743 posts, read 1,372,240 times
It depends where you live and it depends on the amount of rain/moisture.

Last year while at Boy Scout camp in Bastrop, I was struck by how few mosquitoes I saw compared to normal (I've camped there many times). But it was really DRY last year and the drought had been underway for a long time. Last week I was out there again camping, after all of the June rains we had, and I came home with loads of mosquito bites. Completely different experience in the exact same location.....the difference was we've had a lot more rain this year and that brought out more mosquitoes.

But in general, I don't find them a problem where I live in Austin.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:12 PM

997 posts, read 1,312,534 times
I despise mosquitos and bamboo and have plenty of both. They won't leave me alone and never go away!

Old 07-03-2014, 09:35 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
My mosquito magnet kills a ton of them

Old 07-05-2014, 10:04 PM

653 posts, read 1,794,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
My mosquito magnet kills a ton of them
If you are referring to one of those electric zappers, those rarely kill the bugs that do the biting, and attract far more of the harmless and beneficial insects.

But maybe you are referring to yourself, and that you squish the bugs when they land on you.

I have been bitten a few times this year already, and in the past mosquitoes did not like me.
So maybe they are more hungry this year, or maybe I have become more tasty.

I have always considered the protection sprays more harmful than the bug bites. But with West Nile virus cases showing up in the area, I am reconsidering my stance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin