Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 10:08 AM

772 posts, read 1,060,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Where are you from originally? It seems you may not be that familiar with how heating systems function most effectively.

Heat rises, so it's usually better to have the heat on the first floor and less on the second. I wouldn't recommend turning the heat off on the first floor overnight, the furnace is having to raise the temp 5 degrees each morning during the peak cold. Also, having the bottom floor off could possibly cause pipes to freeze at night when the weather is coldest.

Consider keeping bottom floor constant at 68, top floor off during the day and at 69 at night. I suspect your bill will be a little lower. Our HVAC person said the bottom floor should only be 1-2 degrees lower than the top floor or the uneven heating will cause bills to skyrocket.

I've always lived in a house with heating all my life but typically just 1 unit and 1 thermostat you set that for the whole house and 1 boiler .. I just never seen or lived in a house with 2 units and just not sure of what to do most effectively.

Thanks for the suggestion. we will try this out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 10:11 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COCUE View Post
I've always lived in a house with heating all my life but typically just 1 unit and 1 thermostat you set that for the whole house and 1 boiler .. I just never seen or lived in a house with 2 units and just not sure of what to do most effectively.

Thanks for the suggestion. we will try this out!
Running the ceiling fans in reverse during the winter helps spread the heat around and reduces the run time on your furnace. Because it redistributes heat trapped at the ceiling. You have to flip the switch on the fan motor.

Steve

Old 01-27-2014, 11:03 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,278,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COCUE View Post
We have 2 HVAC units. We are not used to that. We turn off the one downstairs at night and keep the one upstairs at 70 degrees overnight. Our house is really cold and when we wake up in the morning, downstairs is usually freezing at 63 degrees or thereabouts.

Thanks for any insights
I would recommend you look into the Nest thermostats. Yes, they are pricey. But given our weather, the extremes will drive you crazy. The Nest are "learning" thermostats - after you initially program them with temp ranges, they "learn" how quickly your heater will bring a room up in temp. So if you turn the one off at night, but origami it for 68 at 6:30, it will start heating in tine to have it at 68 on time. Plus, they know when a zone is unoccupied, and shut down then.

Take a hard look - might be just what you need.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:05 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,278,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
That OOMA landline sounds interesting. Free Home Phone Service | Ooma
Absolutely the way to go. Besides the cost advantage, the ability to block telemarketers (after they get through once) and the fact it doesn't require you to dial 512 if calling from a 512 number - is the icing on the cake.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:37 PM

543 posts, read 1,741,147 times
Speaking of utility bills, Austin Energy is late mailing statements this month. Only reason I care is that I recently installed a Nest thermostat and am anxious to see my first month's savings.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:18 PM

625 posts, read 1,134,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmiguel View Post
Speaking of utility bills, Austin Energy is late mailing statements this month. Only reason I care is that I recently installed a Nest thermostat and am anxious to see my first month's savings.
Why wait for the paper statement?

https://coautilities.com/wps/myporta...vUU5RSy9ZRllB/

Or better, just track it.

https://austinenergyapp.com:8444/AE_...i-state=dialog

Old 01-29-2014, 09:32 AM

543 posts, read 1,741,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair44 View Post
I misspoke. I should have said posted rather than mailed. My statement usually appears on the website the 24th of each month and I pay it the following day. This month showed up online yesterday. That is a pretty cool app you posted. Another I use is the ios app Check to track COA, Verizon, Grande, Texas Gas and other recurring bills. It not only shows amounts due but breakdown for the various services.

Last edited by sanmiguel; 01-29-2014 at 09:44 AM..

Old 01-29-2014, 12:31 PM

625 posts, read 1,134,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmiguel View Post
I misspoke. I should have said posted rather than mailed. My statement usually appears on the website the 24th of each month and I pay it the following day. This month showed up online yesterday. That is a pretty cool app you posted. Another I use is the ios app Check to track COA, Verizon, Grande, Texas Gas and other recurring bills. It not only shows amounts due but breakdown for the various services.
Yeah, I saw something similar that COA/Nest pushed, but I don't feel the need for a secondary site to tell me how much my utility bill was. Something that I can use to check actual daily usage is better. Energy efficiency tools keep evolving. Did you get your Nest rebate from the city?

Old 01-30-2014, 02:58 PM

249 posts, read 492,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
I would recommend you look into the Nest thermostats. Yes, they are pricey. But given our weather, the extremes will drive you crazy. The Nest are "learning" thermostats - after you initially program them with temp ranges, they "learn" how quickly your heater will bring a room up in temp. So if you turn the one off at night, but origami it for 68 at 6:30, it will start heating in tine to have it at 68 on time. Plus, they know when a zone is unoccupied, and shut down then.
I have 2 of them, they're great.. I don't think mine have learned my patterns much, but that's probably because I am enough of a control-freak that I use the website and mobile apps to set temps, Away, etc.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:29 PM

180 posts, read 267,221 times
Lubbock has really cheap utility costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin