Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 03:42 AM

2 posts, read 4,329 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I'll be moving to Austin in late Feb 2014 for my new job and I stumbled across this forum and there seems to be a lot of helpful people here sharing their experiences and advices. I was hoping get some advice from people on renting apartments, buy/hire furnitures, cost of living etc.

My company has hired a relocation company to help me get settled, because I don't know anything about Austin, I have just specified the location to be within 15 mins of drive from my company (located in Oak Hill) and monthly rental fee of around $1100 for a two bedroom OR $700-800 for one bedroom (not decided which yet), I was wondering if anyone could let me know what kind of area Oak Hill is, is it safe? Also the rent which I'm planning on paying, is it too low, too high or it's average? Is it worth hiring furnitures or should I just buy some basic instead? What's the cost of living like over there, for example how much do you need to be earning in order to live comfortably there, because my wife has to give up her job in the UK to come to Austin and she's pregnant now, so I imagine that she will stay off work for a good couple of years, so I'll be the only provider of my family.

If you guys have any other advices such as where to live in Austin etc, please let me know.

Appreciate your help in advance.

Thanks,

Jiang
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 04:51 AM

320 posts, read 486,943 times
You might be able to find a basic unfurnished apartment in your price range. From what I have seen, in the more desirable areas of Austin within a 15 min commute of your work, your budget is on the low end. If it's just for you as a single guy with minimal needs, just go to IKEA for furniture, they have delivery. Unless your company is paying for furniture rental too.
Use the search feature on this board and see the sticky thread at the top on the New Comers guide. Lots of good info here.
Because everyone's definition of "living comfortably" is different based on their own perception, that's hard to answer. Austin is a big place and spread out. Traffic/Commute has a major impact. Best thing to do is rent for 6 months to a year and spend weekends driving around and figuring out what feels right for you and your family. This is a very car dependent city, like much of America, so you should take that into consideration too.
Good luck!

Old 01-27-2014, 04:34 PM

2 posts, read 4,329 times
Thanks for your useful feedback, I'll do some more research on this forum like you've suggested, hopefully I'll be a bit more clued up soon!

Old 01-27-2014, 05:06 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,100,287 times
It is great that your work is in Oak Hill because you can live in the area, and not have to take the commute into town as so many do. Oak Hill is, however, close enough to downtown that you can take advantage of cultural and events activities easily (if you are not going during rush hour.) There are quite a few apartment and condo buildings around, some fairly new. The Oak Hill area is not really huge, so it would not be too difficult to look around for what is available. You can go to each complex and inquire, but they don't put vacancies in a newspaper, so short of visiting each complex, it is pretty hard to find a rental without a realtor or rental agent to help you. They can go into specifics about what you want, where you want it, and what is available. I'm sorry, I haven't rented in a long time, so I don't really have a reference for you. One thing to watch out for: try not to make your drive into work going through the "Y", which is the intersections of highways 71 and 290, and highway 290 with William Cannon. It is a terrible bottleneck which is going to be under construction for years, so you don't want to be driving that every day.

Old 01-27-2014, 05:52 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Grasshopper and I both live near Oak Hill, in SW Austin. She gave you good advice above. It is a great part of town to live in, very low crime. See my comments here: //www.city-data.com/blogs/blog2...gend-oaks.html

Quote:
monthly rental fee of around $1100 for a two bedroom OR $700-800 for one bedroom (not decided which yet)
Adding $100 to each of those prices will give you a lot more options, otherwise the choices are slim if you go by Apartments for Rent - PadMapper Apartment Search for Oodle, Apartments.com, Rent.com, Kijiji, and Craigslist Apartments Rush hour traffic in Austin is pretty bad so it is desirable to live near where you work. Definitely avoid commuting through the Y, where Hwy 290 and 71 split in Oak Hill. You will probably need a car to get around, as bus service is thin in the outlying areas of Austin.

Depending on where you work, it might be possible to bicycle from one of the apartment complexes to work. https://www.google.com/maps/preview/...1295!3e1?hl=en

Not many apartments come furnishes in Austin, but there are furniture rental stores.

Demographics and other information such as cost of living, average apartment cost, house cost, average income, etc, are addressed here. There are also some photos of the area //www.city-data.com/city/Austin-Texas.html

Last edited by CptnRn; 01-27-2014 at 06:02 PM..

Old 01-27-2014, 06:56 PM

71 posts, read 167,847 times
freescale or amd? if you want to be <5mins away, try AMLI or Lantana Ridge apartments

Old 01-28-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squatt3r View Post
freescale or amd? if you want to be <5mins away, try AMLI or Lantana Ridge apartments
^^^^^ Yes if you worked there or close by you could walk to work.

Here are a few the OP should look at. Most one bedrooms appear to start in the $900's. Some two bedrooms are available starting in the $1,000's.

Walk to work at the West end of William Cannon:

Lantana Ridge Apartments: Photos, Floorplans, Availability and Pricing. Address: 6636 W William Cannon Drive, Austin, TX. Luxury Gables Apartments for Rent.

Estancia Apartments - Luxury Residences

AMLI at Lantana Hills Floor Plans

Farther away but walkable to the West end of William Cannon:

Austin Apartments | Texas Apts | Floor Plans

Apartment For Rent - Austin TX - IMT Monterey Ranch

Park at Monterey Oaks Apartment Rentals

Farther away :

Nichols Park (Aka Convict Hill Village) Apartments for Rent - Austin, TX Apartments | Apartment Finder Not sure how good a shape these apartments are in, they renovated the exterior last year. Considerably less expensive ($700-800 for one bedroom) but within bicycling distance of work. Great location, Next door to a City library and park, walking distance to a large shopping center with restaurants. Close to bus stop for routes 333 and 111, 333 goes very close to Freescale & AMD. Bus Route Map http://www.capmetro.org/uploadedfile...System_Map.pdf

Deerfield Apartment Rentals

Old 01-29-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
^^^^^ Yes if you worked there or close by you could walk to work.

Here are a few the OP should look at. Most one bedrooms appear to start in the $900's. Some two bedrooms are available starting in the $1,000's.

Walk to work at the West end of William Cannon:

Lantana Ridge Apartments: Photos, Floorplans, Availability and Pricing. Address: 6636 W William Cannon Drive, Austin, TX. Luxury Gables Apartments for Rent.

Estancia Apartments - Luxury Residences

AMLI at Lantana Hills Floor Plans

Farther away but walkable to the West end of William Cannon:

Austin Apartments | Texas Apts | Floor Plans

Apartment For Rent - Austin TX - IMT Monterey Ranch

Park at Monterey Oaks Apartment Rentals

Farther away :

Nichols Park (Aka Convict Hill Village) Apartments for Rent - Austin, TX Apartments | Apartment Finder Not sure how good a shape these apartments are in, they renovated the exterior last year. Considerably less expensive ($700-800 for one bedroom) but within bicycling distance of work. Great location, Next door to a City library and park, walking distance to a large shopping center with restaurants. Close to bus stop for routes 333 and 111, 333 goes very close to Freescale & AMD. Bus Route Map http://www.capmetro.org/uploadedfile...System_Map.pdf

Deerfield Apartment Rentals
P.S. Don't let the name "Convict Hill Village" throw you. There is an area in Oak Hill called Convict Hill because that is where some of the stone was quarried for the State Capital Building in Austin 125 years ago, convict labor was used to quarry the stone, so a work camp was set up there during that time. It is long gone now, no convicts or prisoners in the area anymore.

history---convict-hill - Community Impact Newspaper

Old 01-29-2014, 11:33 PM

9 posts, read 12,974 times
I've lived in Austin for 6 years. I would stay away from South side of Austin as it could be dangerous. The rent sounds fine, I would live in Hyde Park or Lake Austin area it is a lot safer.

Old 01-30-2014, 04:58 AM

269 posts, read 428,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k70821 View Post
I've lived in Austin for 6 years. I would stay away from South side of Austin as it could be dangerous. The rent sounds fine, I would live in Hyde Park or Lake Austin area it is a lot safer.
SW Austin (78735, 78736, 78749) are some of the lowest crime areas of the city. Hyde Park actually has a higher crime rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: