Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 10:55 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times

Advertisements

//www.city-data.com/forum/austi...on-2014-a.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 10:57 AM

861 posts, read 1,147,192 times
Let the prices rise!!! My house goes on the market in late July.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
Uh, how about land? What if the OP has a small lot or noisy dogs next door? What about space, maybe they need more space. There are so many reasons for moving up so I don't agree with your assumptions.
Well, he did say "unless you need to". Seems clear to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20
I don't understand the logic in 'moving up' unless you need to. You will pay more in taxes, closing costs, utilities, etc. Save 'cashing out' that appreciation until you have to move or are retiring, whatever.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I don't understand the logic in 'moving up' unless you need to. You will pay more in taxes, closing costs, utilities, etc. Save 'cashing out' that appreciation until you have to move or are retiring, whatever.
If you have money to invest, given the low interest rates available on CD's and other investments, 'moving up' in property can be one of the safer investments one can make these days, as long as home appreciation after costs is exceeding the inflation rate.

Currently the interest one can earn on a CD is not keeping up with inflation.

Last edited by CptnRn; 02-14-2014 at 11:23 AM..

Old 02-14-2014, 11:15 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysmiling View Post
where was said property? just curious...
It was in the '04.

By the way, I met the buyers (I was listing agent) after closing, who had lost out on 8 consecutive multiple offer attempts prior to this one and were determined not to have a 9th. They were delighted. I don't think they paid "too much", but rather gave up about 1 year of appreciation. No big deal if holding long term.

Some buyers figure this out and end up with a house. Others get discouraged and leave the market, remaining renters, only to pay more a year or two later than they would have been required to to come out on top in a competitive multiple offer situation. And perhaps a higher interest rate later on compounds the folly of giving up.

We are in that sort of market again now in many areas, including Central and SW Austin. Buyers with an "A Game" win. The others are simply attending real estate market school with each successive lost deal.

Steve

Old 02-14-2014, 11:29 AM

1,430 posts, read 2,374,893 times
I am so glad I bought when the market was down in 03. That is an appalling situation to be in as a buyer!

Old 02-14-2014, 02:36 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
I really don't see things being like this forever, so I am not worried about it. I am definitely not going to drastically overpay on a house.

Old 02-14-2014, 03:52 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,286,495 times
Not every house is homeowner-occupied. There are a lot of investors sitting on homes in this city. If the wind blows a different way and Austin becomes less desirable for whatever reason, these people will do what investors do and go where the most money is to be made. Has anyone heard of the term, "boom and bust"? It is most likely to happen where a boom has occurred.

Old 02-14-2014, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
Not every house is homeowner-occupied. There are a lot of investors sitting on homes in this city. If the wind blows a different way and Austin becomes less desirable for whatever reason, these people will do what investors do and go where the most money is to be made. Has anyone heard of the term, "boom and bust"? It is most likely to happen where a boom has occurred.
Good point. S*** happens...

According to City-Data, For Austin: Houses: 276,611 (265,409 occupied: 119,191 owner occupied, 146,218 renter occupied)
% of renters here: 55%
% of renters State: 54%
Read more: //www.city-data.com/housing/hou...#ixzz2tLVFEQ6z

But S*** happens everywhere. I can't think of many foul winds that could blow a different way across Austin that would not also effect the rest of the state and much of the US. So the question is:

How is Austin likely to fair compared to those other places?

In my opinion Texas' good fortune in this last recession was largely because of location (central in USA), natural resources, climate and a low cost of living, which makes it a desirable place for businesses to locate, producing jobs.

Even though costs have risen in Texas and especially Austin, the region still has enormous advantages when compared to most of the rest of the USA.

So even with costs rising here, I predict that Texas and Austin will continue to be a desirable place to live for an extended period of time.

In my opinion the worst that could happen for Texas is for global warming to continue, flooding large parts of the TX coast such as Houston and other parts of the US. Heat will make Austin summers worse, but people will still move to Austin rather than stay around partially flooded Houston and other flooded cities in both the East and West coasts of the US. And our winters will be milder, resulting in 9+ months of nice weather.

Our biggest worry should be providing enough water for everyone who lives here, if current droughts continue. We probably need to invest more into desalination plant research.

Last edited by CptnRn; 02-14-2014 at 05:48 PM..

Old 02-14-2014, 05:58 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,274,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
% of renters here: 55%
That renter percentage hasn't changed in thirty years. The two declines I've seen in Austin RE in that period were both tied to job losses - not because investors moved on to the next big thing. Low demand for owner occupied at the same time vacancies rose and rents softened. But eventually, prices started right back up. Watch the jobs numbers - that will tell you what RE here will do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin