Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2006, 01:06 AM

546 posts, read 3,104,505 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on relocating to Austin in the next year, and was wondering if anyone can recommend a realtor that specializes in historic homes? I'm hoping to find something primarily in a "transitional" area, since Hyde Park and the well-established historic districts are pretty much out of my price range.

If anyone is familiar with San Antonio (where I currently reside), I live in Monticello Park and would like to find a similar area in Austin (i.e., full of great old bungalows, as well as historic mansions, all reasonably priced, and in a, well, um, funky but slowly up-and-coming neighborhood), if it exists.

Also, any advice or information on historic districts in Austin would be very much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2006, 01:02 PM

122 posts, read 180,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by googie2525 View Post
I'm planning on relocating to Austin in the next year, and was wondering if anyone can recommend a realtor that specializes in historic homes? I'm hoping to find something primarily in a "transitional" area, since Hyde Park and the well-established historic districts are pretty much out of my price range.

If anyone is familiar with San Antonio (where I currently reside), I live in Monticello Park and would like to find a similar area in Austin (i.e., full of great old bungalows, as well as historic mansions, all reasonably priced, and in a, well, um, funky but slowly up-and-coming neighborhood), if it exists.

Also, any advice or information on historic districts in Austin would be very much appreciated.

Historical Homes are few and fare between. The areas that you are referring to are $ in and around downtown. I have sold historical landmark homes is a couple of different areas. With the amount of tax benefits and the jumping threw hoops that is needed to gain a historical landmark most of those homes are highly priced. I can only think of one area that might be undiscovered and has that older early 1900 feel. Remember that when your looking at these older homes to make sure you have a inspector that deals with pier and beam houses on a regular bases.

Old 11-25-2006, 09:09 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,333,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by googie2525 View Post

Googie: also known as populuxe or doo-***, is a subdivison of futurist architecture influenced by car culture and the Space Age, originating from southern California in the late 1940s and continuing approximately into the mid-1960s. With upswept roofs and, often, curvaceous, geometric shapes, and bold use of glass, steel and neon, it decorated many a motel, coffee house and bowling alley in the 1950s and 1960s. It epitomizes the spirit a generation demanded, looking excitedly towards a bright, technological and futuristic age.

Wouldn't your search be more specific to Mid-Century Modern's?

Old 12-01-2006, 02:56 AM

546 posts, read 3,104,505 times
MCM's in Austin seem to be practically non-existant in my scouting endeavors, and when and if you do find one, they're mega-expensive (as is Austin in general, well, the parts I like anyway, ugh). In any case, I decided to stay put in San Antonio for awhile (logistical and business-related, as I would have to commute until I could liquidate my business, etc. - forget it, Austin traffic is a nightmare), but I'm looking for a MCM here now (since I dumped my old Monticello digs), way more selection in SA for sure. Terrell Hills has some great MCM's, as I've said before...just need to win the lotto and I'm set!

Old 12-06-2006, 09:14 AM

2 posts, read 2,432 times
Yeah, if you want a "historic" home in Austin you are going to have to fork up some $$$. There are plenty of charming neighborhoods with older homes that are reasonably priced, but don't expect mansions on the cheap.

Last edited by austindub; 12-06-2006 at 10:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin