Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 12:40 AM

9 posts, read 33,521 times

Advertisements

We built here in Manor in 1993, and have made the decision to move to Pflugerville, mainly because we have five acres and taking care of it when you're in your thirties is one thing, and another when you're in your fifties..... Also, husband is getting ready to really retire, and he'd rather do other things than mow grass. But, I have lived in this house for fifteen years and it's been great out here. It's always quiet, and we have never had any problems. We're lucky that our neighbors are good and watch out for the area which is always good, but at the same time, this is just a good area. I've felt safer here than I did when I lived in town over in Gracy Woods. I really wish that people would reconsider Manor when they are looking - we were out in Lago Vista and Jonestown this past weekend, and honestly, for the prices the houses are costing out there, I can't believe it. You have a horrible road in, and traffic and then NO amenities at all (well hardly) and you're a long way from things. Out here even though we don't have any stores, it's only about a 15 minute drive to all of the major areas especially since 130 has gone in. You can get to downtown Austin in 30 minutes or so, and out to far North Austin in RUSH hour in 30 minutes as well. This isn't a perfect area, but it's not what everyone says it is. I wouldn't live in the city of Manor, but the area outside of Manor is gorgeous. There are so many things fixing to happen out here with Villa Muse, new schools coming in, the Planetarium coming in, that I can't imagine why people wouldn't be out here looking for property. As for the schools; when we first came out here, the schools were fair. They are having growing pains right now, but I wouldn't be surprised if in the next 3-5 years that they are in super condition. There is the money out here as well as the interest from the community to make that happen. You get the small town "feeling" along with the proximity of large employers and closeness to Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 08:23 AM

52,683 posts, read 47,932,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
The 130 Toll Road, and more to come, are really going to open up Manor. I am worried that, at present, most of the new housing is starter housing. There are some mid-range projects in the works though. Lots of flat farmland to build on. Schools have been given a boost by donations from Samsung, which would like to groom some future employees I'm sure.

I spent about 4 months remodeling an old farm house on Hogg Eye Rd. in 1995 in Manor. We ate almost every day at Donn's BBQ on FM 969. It was still very rural then. I wonder what the crowd at Donn's looks like today? Probably still blue collar, but I'll bet it changes a lot in the next 5 years as Manor booms.

For pure investment property, I'll still stick with South Austin though.

Steve

I predict there will be lots of growth, and some of it might actually be unexpected. Every other visit I make to Austin, I always check Manor's progress. It's a matter of time before land will be set aside for a freeway/tollway on U.S. 290 to come right through town, because it's going to eventually, and I'm surprised that hasn't already happened. And you can also bet there will be more barbecue, too. Stay tuned.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:24 PM

1 posts, read 5,083 times
I own land in and have lived in Manor (near the village of Webberville). It is a nice place to live. I have a 14 yr old son who spent a great deal of his childhood there. There is a difference between lilving in downtown Manor though and "out in the country". I believe I would feel comfortable in either area but thankfully I was able to afford acreage. My neighbors are all good, hard working people, many are retired. The cost of land is very reasonable. My son attended Del Valle middle school for one yr because of where we fell in the zoning district. The teachers/staff there are the some of the very best, most caring individuals who have worked with my son. However, some of the student there are a little "rough". Some may even be more than "a little" rough. We moved to Austin because of a family illness but I miss the sunsets out there, the red-tailed hawks, my pond full of fish, being within 5 miles of the Colorado River where I frequently went canoeing, the new park (on Blake Manor near Burleson-Manor Rd) with baseball, football, and soccer fields, swimming pool, and hike-n-bike trails, and seeing cows on my commute instead of bumper to bumper traffic. I am moving back out there as soon as I am able. And for those who think that Manor is a backwards little place, check out what may be in store for Manor in the future. Austinist: Villa Muse: A New Dawn for the Austin Creative Industry?

Old 02-02-2008, 06:02 AM

2 posts, read 8,940 times
Default How about just down the road in Elgin?

Do you know if the problems are worse or just about the same?

How about the schools in Elgin?

Old 02-26-2008, 08:35 PM

1 posts, read 4,946 times
Talking Everywhere you go

My wife and I moved to Manor almost three years ago from San Diego and bought one of the "starter homes". We bought the house because the company I work for is close to Manor and I was tired of sitting in traffic for two hours trying to get home in the evenings. What I've experienced with everyone I've met in Manor, and I've met a lot being in a field job where I'm constantly dealing with local customers and residents, is that it's not only the children who use that "backward yes sir, no sir" when talking to me. Everyone here has been polite. At least that's what they call it where I grew up. If that's backwards, then maybe I'm just a little sdrawkcab too. There are undesirable people in every city, town, community that exists in this world. The people in Manor aren't any different than they are any where else. Sure it isn't a community of $1M homes like I'm use to seeing in SoCal, but for me, that's a good thing. It would be a better place if they were to build a decent shopping center here though. Rolling up the sidewalks at 10 pm really makes it hard to get that milk or medicine that you need for the kiddies. The schools were really bad, but are improving. Unfortunately, they only improve when parents show that they won't accept the current results, and recently they have been. Our daughter is a sophomore in Manor High and is top in all of her classes. That has nothing to do with the school though. Mostly that is me and her mother staying on her to study and better herself. Overall, as with any situation, nothing will change until it is made to change. In San Diego there was a comminuty, IB, that was full of drugs, crime, and not so nice people, but eventually the housing market got too $$$ for those people to be able to live there and they were forced out by the economy. I see that happening to a lot of families here. In our subdivision this year, as soon as property taxes came due, you saw for sale signs going up in almost every other yard. I think it is a good community to invest in. Buy now for $130K and sell in six or seven years for $150-$160K. Maybe I'm optimistic, but I'll still sleep good tonight in my new house on my quiet street....in Manor (with a long A) Texas.

Old 03-04-2008, 04:28 PM

1 posts, read 4,928 times
Default Almost here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
I'd give Manor a couple more years. They are up and coming and will eventually join Pflugerville as the fast-rising eastern suburbs. Manor is just one large shopping center and possibly one new housing development away from serious growth.

I agree with you CASE. If you are familiar with Austin then you have heard of the "Domain" on Braker and Mopac. For those of you who aren't familiar with it. It is a high end shopping center that was recently opened here in Austin. The group that developed that project is bring 2 million sqft. of retail space to the intersection of Parmer and 290. Best Buy, Target, JCpenney's, Kohls, a movie theater, Lowe's, and numerous other retail giants.

The school district also has 1 elementary school scheduled to be built every year for the next 8 years. As well as 2 more middle schools and a new high school. I know the school district hasn't had the best reputation as of late, but they have everything in place for huge improvments in that area. Not sure if you knew it, but Manor is one of the richest school districts in the state.

Old 03-05-2008, 06:41 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,014,187 times
Gas prices will hurt all the exburbs like Manor. There are no jobs there. Most buy homes there because of the price point. That is it. This same set of folks are slowing going to be in a world of financial hurt just because of the amount of gas they have to use to commute into Austin.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:05 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
I don't know about Manor, but I do know that not everyone that lives out this way commutes into Austin. Yes, they may hurt some, but it won't be exclusionary to exurbs. Things in Central Austin will also become more expensive since it costs more to ship it there, so you may not feel the bite in your pocketbook as far as putting it into the gas tank, you will feel it in your furniture, tech, toy and grocery bills among other things. There are more jobs around here than fit right in Austin proper. There are quite a few blue collar type jobs around here like railroad, freight, light industrial, hospitals, schools, banks, local retail and small business owners, warehouses and suppliers, etc.... And whenever Villa Muse opens up for business then I'm sure we'll be seeing some reverse commuting happening.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:07 AM

9 posts, read 33,521 times
Smile Gas Prices/Commuting

Like I said, I've lived out here for 15 years - commuted every day from 1993 to 2001 - paid the gas prices then and if I was still working I'd pay them now. It's the same whether you live IN Austin or outside of it, you still have to pay the gas to get to work. At least when you get out here, you do have less traffic (once you get off the "major" highways). You plan your trips in to town and don't make a trip unless you need to. That's how we've always done it, and it becomes a habit after a while.

We live right down the road from where the new High School and Middle School will go in on Blake Manor Road. One thing I will say about the Manor ISD, they are making sure that they have enough schools for the population and it's a good thing. The amount of students has probably tripled since 2001 when my grandson started school out here. It's amazing the amount of Elementary schools they have - and they are planning more new ones plus this new Middle School and High School. There has been some ups and downs with the school district, but it is getting much better than it was and I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't end up being one of the better ones in the future in Travis County.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:33 AM

1 posts, read 4,753 times
Default New To Texas

I moved to the Austin area August 2007, & signed a 6 month lease at Renaissance Village @ Parmer & Mopac with the expectation of finding a house to buy in South Austin.

Yeah, hold on to THAT dream, pal.

The neighborhoods in south & central Austin (up & down Lamar from UT to Parmer, between Mopac & 35) are nice, tightly packed (for the most part), & EXPENSIVE. Tiny houses (1200 sq ft +/-) for $250K & up. I just came down from Connecticut, & I thought the housing prices up THERE were excessive. So much for living in a "cool" neighborhood.

We ended up looking at the places in the Harris Branch neighborhood, just over the Austin/Manor line. We don't have kids, so the schools weren't a concern. We have Austin fire & EMS, & both Austin & Manor police respond (which is nice.) The houses are beautiful, spacious, well built, close to shopping & restaurants, & QUIET. The neighborhood is a wonderful mix of all races... there's NOTHING "vanilla" about this place. The people are very welcoming & friendly (especially towards a big ugly Yankee.)

I work at home all day & hit the open mikes & venues in the evenings as a singer/songwriter. All the great clubs & coffee houses in downtown & south Austin are within a short striking distance via the toll road, 183, or 290/35. The other wonderful thing I've discovered here is the great places to eat, hang out, & perform my music at in Pflugerville & Round Rock.

People complain about the hot summers, but after growing up in Chicago (where the humidity is MUCH worse then Austin) and living in Connecticut for 11 years, I NEVER HAVE TO SHOVEL ANOTHER INCH OF SNOW IN MY LIFE if I don't want to.

I LOVE Texas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin