Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 06:20 PM

3,787 posts, read 6,999,707 times

Advertisements

Exactly what do they "test" for? There are lot's of prescription drugs and non-prescription drugs that can make someone loopy. Mix them with one drink and strange things can happen.

Having said that I do not condone over zealous officers either. Not knowing the whole story it's hard to say.

Last edited by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots; 02-25-2014 at 06:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 06:36 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,375,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
She wouldn't have blown 0.0 would she?
Yep. Because she was under the influence of psychotropic drugs (still wearing her Shoal Creek bracelet, actually).

Old 02-25-2014, 06:43 PM

15,631 posts, read 10,388,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
What kind of "crap" did this fellow give the officer? Where was the "disrespect" in the police video? He was very cooperative.

If, what if, whatever. INNOCENT until proven guilty seems to escape you.

This guy did not break any DWI law and he is still being charged - plus the ADA is still ok with it.

Walking the line straight? Most fat people & many old folks can't do that stone cold sober.

So you are ok with an innocent man being railroaded, losing thousands of dollars, and having his license suspended for nothing except "suspicion"?

His case will be dismissed at great cost to him, and you don't care. God forbid if you ever get the same railroad treatment.

And no, I've never had a run-in with the police and don't drive drunk.

As I said, if you want to be that hard-nosed about it - arrest EVERYBODY pulling out of a bar/club/restaurant parking lot. They might have had a drink.

But hey, at least this horrible criminal didn't get raped by the officer, or see his dog get shot.
I wasn't speaking about this case you are referring to in your post. I know nothing about it. I was making a general comment about police officers in Texas. I respect our officers.

People can be driving under the influence of drugs that, of course, would not show up in an alcohol testing breathalyzer. Police are trained to recognize a driver under the influence.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:04 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,384,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post

I wasn't speaking about this case you are referring to in your post. I know nothing about it.
Then read the article.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:31 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,426,646 times
I have a friend who was the designated driver one evening at a pool hall on Ben White. She had absolutely nothing to drink except for a few Diet Cokes. Nothing, Nada. No drugs (not even OTC) either. She isn't much of a drinker anyway, but loves playing pool, so she's DD a lot.

Cop pulled her over almost as soon as she pulled out of the parking lot (very late on a Saturday night). Said she didn't use her turn signal. Asked her to step out of the car, etc. She told him she wasn't drinking, passed a field sobriety test, and the Breathalyzer read 0.0. Cop insisted that it must be broken and arrested her.

They decided to not press charges (gee, ya think?). But between the impound fees, retaining a lawyer, and paying for about 3 months of the Interlock device on her car (you are required to install one before you ever even have a hearing), it cost her about $4000. And there's wasn't a damn thing she could do about it.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:33 PM

I also want to bring up the Jeff Ward incident. If you watch the dashcam video, he in no way appears or sounds impaired at all. He passed the field sobriety test with no problem. But he was in a tuxedo, coming from a party, so the cop seemed to think there was no way he wasn't drunk. Because he's a celebrity, it got a lot of press. But this happens every day to the average citizen and we never hear about it.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpurcell View Post
Just had a drunk guy wipe out two telephone poles across the street from me on 38th (!!!???!!!) and only through the grace of God not kill anyone. So crack down on the drunks I say.
I agree. But that doesn't mean everyone is a drunk or intoxicated. Leave those who aren't alone. At least the officer didn't shoot him; that seems to be more APD's style lately.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:55 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
And I thought NYPD had quite the rep

Old 02-25-2014, 09:17 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,987,721 times
welcome to americas present day"police" tactics. Please watch this prime example of todays illegal police DUI tactics

4th of July DUI Checkpoint - Drug Dogs, Searched without Consent, while Innocent - YouTube

Old 02-26-2014, 07:56 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,982,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
This guy did not break any DWI law and he is still being charged - plus the ADA is still ok with it.
Actually he DID break a DWI law by being intoxicated if he failed the field sobriety test -- straight from the statute:
"(2) "Intoxicated" means:
(A) not having the normal use of mental or physical faculties by reason of the introduction of alcohol, a controlled substance, a drug, a dangerous drug, a combination of two or more of those substances, or any other substance into the body; or
(B) having an alcohol concentration of 0.08 or more.".....or if he failed the horizontal gaze nystagmus or vertical nystagmus test.....you aren't seeing the results of that on a video, and that test cannot be faked or covered up. If you're under the influence of something that may not be detectable by a breath or blood sample, your eyes will give you away every time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin