Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 11:58 AM

7,289 posts, read 4,056,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
What about Rosedale and those apartments right behind Central Market? That area has great walkability and I could eat at the Central Market Cafe every night. Any input on the public schools in that area from others? Even Allandale a bit further North might be worth a look. If you want to buy new then those new town home things in Crestview and even Mueller are more appealing to me than downtown as a Dad, but again, the schools will need to be evaluated. Good luck!
Yeah but I get the impression that he wants to be able to walk to downtown...

Otherwise, I agree. These are nice central neighborhoods.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:30 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,240,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Yeah but I get the impression that he wants to be able to walk to downtown...

Otherwise, I agree. These are nice central neighborhoods.
Exactly.

Here is where this kid lives now - and has for basically his entire life:

And here is where his Dad wants him to live now:

There couldn't be more polar opposites. (N.b. - sorry for the size thing. My PB fu skills are inadequate)

Last edited by scm53; 03-01-2014 at 12:46 PM..

Old 03-01-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Exactly.

There couldn't be more polar opposites. (N.b. - sorry for the size thing. My PB fu skills are inadequate)
It's not clear what areas you're showing us here.

He said the kid has no friends.

What's the population distribution in junior high school?

That's where I made my friends at that age.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:36 PM

3,836 posts, read 5,732,679 times
Quote:
Exactly.

He'll be getting a huge upgrade in locals and probably thank his father every single day for the rest of his life for taking him out of sprawlandia.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:48 PM

13,715 posts, read 31,011,624 times
Quote:
There is only one criteria for you to consider right now - and it will require brutal honesty:

What is best for your son?
I agree with this statement, though I have no idea what the best answer is.

At the risk of treading into a non-relocation area - two divorces already for a 9 year old boy to go through raises an alarm to me. Whatever the OP does and wherever he chooses to live, should not produce the lifestyle conditions that led to what sounds like a volatile and unpleasant home life. If the OP travels out of country often, the son needs someone to look after him. I don't know whether a tower is good or bad. But choose carefully so that he has some stability to look forward to.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I agree with this statement, though I have no idea what the best answer is.

At the risk of treading into a non-relocation area - two divorces already for a 9 year old boy to go through raises an alarm to me. Whatever the OP does and wherever he chooses to live, should not produce the lifestyle conditions that led to what sounds like a volatile and unpleasant home life. If the OP travels out of country often, the son needs someone to look after him. I don't know whether a tower is good or bad. But choose carefully so that he has some stability to look forward to.
He's not asking if he should try and provide a stable home for his kid. I assume he realizes that he's made mistakes there.

He just wants to know what downtown neighborhoods would be good for both of them. I agree that a condo in downtown Austin would probably not be the best idea. But adjacent to downtown has the best of both worlds. And my vote is for South Central.

Incidentally, probably half of us are from broken homes. It's not the worst thing that can happen to a kid.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:53 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,021,625 times
Sure, but Steiner isn't for everyone! I practically have a panic attack every time I am out there! I have three kids and consider downtown and the immediate south of downtown area (Barton Hills, Bouldin, Zilker , Travis Heights) and the immediate north of UT area, bypassing West Campus (Hyde Park, French Place, Rosedale) to be very kid-friendly.

Sounds like the kid has had plenty of upheaval in his Steiner-centric life already, let them try something new!

Old 03-01-2014, 12:55 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,240,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post

What's the population distribution in junior high school?

That's where I made my friends at that age.
The kid is 9.5. He's almost certainly in the fourth grade. Won't be in MS until the 6th grade. What is your point?

Old 03-01-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
The kid is 9.5. He's almost certainly in the fourth grade. Won't be in MS until the 6th grade. What is your point?

Allright then, elementary school. My point is that he can make friends in school.

Your age distribution charts (which don't indicate what areas they represent) are interesting, but not relevant here.

What are you comparing? 78732 to 78701? (I'm not lobbying for the guy to move into the W Residences.)

How about trying 78732 to 78704?

Old 03-01-2014, 01:45 PM

625 posts, read 1,128,945 times
OP, sorry about your situation, but it sounds like you see the opportunity. If your gut says GTFO of SR, then GTFO of SR. Think about where Central Austin will be in the next ten years. The narrow views on here about best schools/districts/neighborhoods, [homogeneous incubators] where my snowflake can be with all the other snowflakes is crap. Get closer to the real world, and enrich your sons' life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: