Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 04:56 PM

4 posts, read 3,449 times

Advertisements

I've heard people say that Texas gets four seasons: December, January, February, and summer. To me, it's basically two: summer, and a Midwest autumn. This was the coldest winter I've experienced here (been here 3 years) and it still couldn't begin to touch a Saint Louis winter. There are a lot of things that drive me up the wall about Austin, but the weather is fantastic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 06:15 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,942,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthouse2000 View Post
Right, we have here ice roads very often...and the schools don't close except if we have a blizzard
Ah, another expert post from the person who doesn't live here. Cold climates have the tools and equipment to deal with ice. It happens so infrequently here, we do not. Please come back and tell us how much you enjoy those 100 degree days when your pool temperature is too high to cool you down and you never can completely dry off due to the humidity.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:58 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,302,074 times
Quote:
and not extreme weather the rest of the time,
Just to speak to this in two points.

1. Until moving here I never even considered that in about 8 hours the temps could go from 30 degrees to 80 degrees but a 50 degree swing doesn't seem to be that unusual, I know, I know...there isn't a large body of water to maintain temps. But still...

2. Rain. We don't get as much as some places but when it rains it somehow falls with a greater velocity than I have ever seen/felt. How is this possible?

Again I'm not speaking about volume here but the actual speed of the individual raindrops.

So while not extreme in the sense that you will die there are some impressive local weather phenomenon.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:42 PM

844 posts, read 2,010,516 times
If thunder sleet isn't extreme I don't know what is.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:52 PM

327 posts, read 770,836 times
I don't understand northerners that act like ice is not dangerous in Texas. I've lived in Pennsylvania, North Dakota, Illinois, and now Texas. Ice on any road is dangerous, I don't care where you live. The big difference is that in Pennsylvania and Illinois they salted the roads, and in North Dakota they sanded them plus there was usually plenty of snow to give some traction. Here they just wait until it melts.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:55 AM

115 posts, read 159,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
Ah, another expert post from the person who doesn't live here. Cold climates have the tools and equipment to deal with ice. It happens so infrequently here, we do not. Please come back and tell us how much you enjoy those 100 degree days when your pool temperature is too high to cool you down and you never can completely dry off due to the humidity.
Why are you still in Austin?

Old 03-11-2014, 02:08 AM

1,549 posts, read 1,942,402 times
Quote:
Why are you still in Austin?
Because we've lived here for decades and made this city what it is. I happen to love the heat. We will eventually cash out and move as soon as the Bandwagon Bobs are finished destroying everything that was unique about this town.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:04 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,968,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
yes, yes, the winter is wonderful. I moved here after spending several years in the upper midwest, so I know the delight of flowers blooming in December and "cold" being lows in the 40s -- and by that measure, this was a harsh winter, among the coldest and longest I have known after 20+ years in Austin.

But wait until your first October after a full Austin summer (one that starts in May). We used to gasp at the sight of people in sweaters and hoodies on the sidelines of televised football game, come, look! They are wearing sweaters! Or when you peel a sweat-drenched toddler out of a Halloween costume because they were trick-or-tricking in 80 degree weather! You can learn to love it, sure. But there is often a real adjustment for folks accustomed to the traditional 4 seasons.
Or your first Thanksgiving (or often, Christmas) in shorts and flip-flops! Always fun to be outside frying the turkey in shorts!

Old 03-11-2014, 11:15 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,784,417 times
Get ready for the really nice weather. 82 today and spring is on its way!

Old 03-11-2014, 01:52 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,302,074 times
I'm just back from and awesome 3 hour hike of awesomeness that I took with my daughter.

75 degrees and breezy, bees, butterflies, a roadrunner, a few wildflowers and the streams running from the rain down into Lake Austin.

Just Awesome!

I see it will be 19 degrees in NYC on Thursday!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin