Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 04:40 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,433,942 times

Advertisements

Most of the ethnic diversity in SW AISD is due to the transfer students. There are 450K homes in Hielscher that are around 8 years old that don't need updating and are nicer than the product SPH is putting out. When I look at the MLS at what is for sale in Avana, I see bland exteriors and a 450K price tag for 2700 square feet on a small lot! I'd say that is overpriced. Sure, prices will go up for a while but they will plateau. For those who bought in Maravilla at base price of 550K plus lot premium plus upgrades, it will be a risk in the long run. It's just a fact. Don't take such offense to it. All real estate is a risk. It's just life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 09:53 AM

390 posts, read 671,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
Most of the ethnic diversity in SW AISD is due to the transfer students. There are 450K homes in Hielscher that are around 8 years old that don't need updating and are nicer than the product SPH is putting out. When I look at the MLS at what is for sale in Avana, I see bland exteriors and a 450K price tag for 2700 square feet on a small lot! I'd say that is overpriced. Sure, prices will go up for a while but they will plateau. For those who bought in Maravilla at base price of 550K plus lot premium plus upgrades, it will be a risk in the long run. It's just a fact. Don't take such offense to it. All real estate is a risk. It's just life.

How do you know that "most" of the ethnic diversity in SW AISD is due to transfer students? I can't speak for the other schools, but I can speak for Clayton. My children's friends who are minority students live in the neighborhood. I've been to their houses. They aren't transfer students. Besides, all of the SW AISD schools are closed to transfers. I'm sure there are "some" transfer students in the school population, but you are spreading misinformation by saying "most" of the ethnic diversity is due to transfer. That simply isn't the case!

Old 05-29-2014, 08:10 PM

Most elems in SW Austin are closer to 80% white, Clayton may be less. I don't think they close off the majority to minority transfers, I think they keep that open. I have nothing against diversity. I was just taken aback by one posters comment that they were looking for diversity because SW Austin just doesn't seem diverse to me. I went to diverse schools growing up and this is not even close to being diverse!

Old 05-29-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Most elems in SW Austin are closer to 80% white, Clayton may be less. I don't think they close off the majority to minority transfers, I think they keep that open. I have nothing against diversity. I was just taken aback by one posters comment that they were looking for diversity because SW Austin just doesn't seem diverse to me. I went to diverse schools growing up and this is not even close to being diverse!

I looked Clayton and Kiker's statistics on the Texas Tribune website. The most recent data is from 2010, but at that point they were around 70% white, 11-12% Asian, 15% Hispanic, and 3-4% other. In the last couple of years, my daughter had been in classes that are closer to 50% minority, but that could just be luck of the draw.

Maybe our perspective on diversity is different. I grew up in a Chicago suburb that was overwhelming white, like over 95%, so 70% feels a lot more diverse to me than I grew up with and I really want my kids to grow up with more diversity than my husband and I did. The schools in Dripping Springs were closer to 85-90% white.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:23 PM

I don't think schools should be knocked for diversity or non diversity. Plenty of people knock DSISD for not being diverse. That's not the resident's fault. Lakeway gets the same rap.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:13 PM

8 posts, read 11,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMJ27 View Post
How do you know that "most" of the ethnic diversity in SW AISD is due to transfer students? I can't speak for the other schools, but I can speak for Clayton. My children's friends who are minority students live in the neighborhood. I've been to their houses. They aren't transfer students. Besides, all of the SW AISD schools are closed to transfers. I'm sure there are "some" transfer students in the school population, but you are spreading misinformation by saying "most" of the ethnic diversity is due to transfer. That simply isn't the case!
You are incorrect on SW schools being locked to transfers. I know of several ethnic families that have received transfers.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjcowboy View Post
You are incorrect on SW schools being locked to transfers. I know of several ethnic families that have received transfers.
From the AISD website:

SCHOOLS TO BE FROZEN TO TRANSFERS IN 2014-2015:
  • High Schools (5): Akins, Anderson, Austin, Bowie, McCallum
  • Middle Schools (5): Burnet, Gorzycki, Lamar (effective 2/20/14), Murchison, O.Henry, Paredes, Webb (effective 2/20/14)
  • Elementary Schools (19): Baldwin, Baranoff, Blazier, Brentwood, Bryker Woods (grade 5), Casey, Casis, Clayton, Doss, Graham, Highland Park, Hill, Kiker, Langford, Lee (graders 3 & 5), Menchaca, Pickle, Rodriguez, Travis Heights, Zilker Kindergarten (effective 2/20/14)
Transfer Information | Austin ISD

Circle C schools are Clayton, Kiker, Gorzycki, and Bowie. Meridian's elementary school is Baldwin and it tracks to the same middle and high school. These schools comprise the majority of SW Austin and are on the list. I am not particularly knowledgeable about the exceptions or grandfathering policies of the transfer process, but I was going off the information posted on the Austin ISD website.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:58 AM

8 posts, read 11,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMJ27 View Post
From the AISD website:

SCHOOLS TO BE FROZEN TO TRANSFERS IN 2014-2015:
  • High Schools (5): Akins, Anderson, Austin, Bowie, McCallum
  • Middle Schools (5): Burnet, Gorzycki, Lamar (effective 2/20/14), Murchison, O.Henry, Paredes, Webb (effective 2/20/14)
  • Elementary Schools (19): Baldwin, Baranoff, Blazier, Brentwood, Bryker Woods (grade 5), Casey, Casis, Clayton, Doss, Graham, Highland Park, Hill, Kiker, Langford, Lee (graders 3 & 5), Menchaca, Pickle, Rodriguez, Travis Heights, Zilker Kindergarten (effective 2/20/14)
Transfer Information | Austin ISD

Circle C schools are Clayton, Kiker, Gorzycki, and Bowie. Meridian's elementary school is Baldwin and it tracks to the same middle and high school. These schools comprise the majority of SW Austin and are on the list. I am not particularly knowledgeable about the exceptions or grandfathering policies of the transfer process, but I was going off the information posted on the Austin ISD website.
We live in SW Austin also.
On paper you are correct.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjcowboy View Post
We live in SW Austin also.
On paper you are correct.

Which school received the transfer that you are you referring to in your earlier post? I'm genuinely curious how transfers to frozen schools occur. Are these new transfers to one of the schools on the frozen list or are they something along the lines of a sibling transfer?

Old 06-01-2014, 10:13 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,101,396 times
Quote:
I don't have statistics to quote, but my Circle C neighborhood, which is very close to Kiker, has lots of ethnic diversity. I see kids walking to school and people taking walks as well as knowing my immediate neighbors, and many ethnicities are represented. I do see fewer AAs than others, though. Mostly various Asian countries, Hispanics, and middle eastern. I agree that economic diversity is limited, but I don't see how you would change that, other than bussing in kids. And a note about children growing up with diversity. There is no question that it is good to be exposed to lots of people, but I grew up in a very white town in Wisconsin (lots of recent German, Scandinavian and Polish immigrants, but still all Caucasian.) Even so, I grew up without racist attitudes because my parents believed this was wrong, and conveyed this to their children. When we did move to places with more diversity, we took their attitudes with us, and learned about varying people as young adults. I'm just saying that growing up with racial diversity is not a guarantee of open attitudes if children are taught to be narrow and judgemental at home. Likewise, growing up without racial diversity is not a guarantee that one will be a racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin