Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 09:22 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,449,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoviero View Post
There are four corners to political ideology based on personal and economic freedom. Communist, libertarian, conservative, and liberal. I refer to the graphic below:

Of the four, liberal and conservative are the most common.
Hmmm...SOMEbody has been awake in poly sci/philosophy class

I've never uttered this phrase, but now's the time:

You might consider thinking OUTside the box.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 09:34 AM

101 posts, read 163,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Hmmm...SOMEbody has been awake in poly sci/philosophy class

I've never uttered this phrase, but now's the time:

You might consider thinking OUTside the box.
I just meant that it's not about party lines, I pick my political ideology based on the fact that while I believe in complete personal freedom to do whatever you want as long as you don't harm others, I don't trust business and economic interests as far as I can throw them. With that said, there are things "liberals" do, that aren't actually liberal. For example, people who force others to paint the top of their house white to combat global warming would typically identify as "liberal." However, forcing someone to paint the top of their house goes against personal freedom, which is the central tenant of liberalism.

People should identify with a political group that agrees with their pre-existing political views, not pick one for other reasons and then follow whatever they say.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:39 AM

15,238 posts, read 35,431,654 times
Quote:
People should identify with a political group that agrees with their pre-existing political views
I disagree, people have no real need to identify with a political group; except, of course, it is required in some sort of dismal self-defense these days....

Old 04-01-2014, 09:41 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,837,066 times
Personal freedom is not the central tenant of liberalism. It is central to libertarianism.

This is why you're just as likely to find a bible-thumping intrusive neighbor that identifies as a "liberal" as you are to find the same that identifies as "conservative". A person's view on religion has little to do with their political affiliation.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:59 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,189,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I disagree, people have no real need to identify with a political group; except, of course, it is required in some sort of dismal self-defense these days....
Right. It's not necessary to join the football team (which is how most people treat their political parties these days, my team right or wrong) in order to have your own identity and to decide what you support and how to vote. All you have to do is really investigate and think about each issue beyond "oh, that sounds like a good idea" without considering unintended consequences and how making that change will impact a lot of other things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin