Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 09:07 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,223,989 times

Advertisements

Trader Joes, In-N-Out and See's still employ "locals" they pay "local" taxes, they provide diversity in a market place and they offer additional options. I don't see what is wrong with options. If there was not a market/want for the product the supplier would not go to the expense to put their stores here. I've been into a Lammes and what they offer does not appeal to me, I didn't buy a thing,I don't like pecans and it seemed like everything they had was some sort of nut chew.
The last time I was in a See's I dropped a couple of hundred bucks.

I was in Dallas last week and was happily surprised to find a Seattle's Best Coffee. I am not from Seattle, never lived anywhere that had a Seattle's Best but in my travels over the years I have had their product and enjoyed it. I stopped in at the Dallas shop because its a treat that I enjoy and it was familiar.

When we lived in NV during the height of the recession there was this big movement to "buy local" and that is all well and good but as much as we may not like the big guys they too contribute to our local economies. They employ our friends and family and sometimes offer products we cannot get anywhere else. I choose to go local first but not always. Diversity is good and contributes to a thriving City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 09:09 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
Yes, See's is good When I was living in Rice Village in Houston, the Rice Epicurean Grocery Store down the street from me sold them. I wonder why it took them so long to get to Austin?

Old 04-05-2014, 09:32 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,279,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatnv View Post
Diversity is good and contributes to a thriving City.
Your diversity is another's mindless homogeneity.

And let's not ignore the cultural colonialism in this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
We now have the trifecta, trader joes, in-n-out and sees candy
I have literally lived all over the world, and in three of four quadrants of the US. I have never expected any of those places to change to make me happy.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:26 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
Lammes and See's sell different products. Lammes focuses on praline, chewy, nutty cluster-type chocolates (bigger) whereas See's has a very large variety of fine truffles, soft centers, assorted, nuts and chews, bordeaux, dark, milk, white, etc. fruit, coffee-filled chocolates. It's evident when you visit both stores that they are different product models with fairly different product offerings.
Same with whole foods and whataburger. Also whataburger is hardly local.

I dont shop at places because they are local, I shop at them because they are good.

Last edited by Austin97; 04-05-2014 at 11:35 AM..

Old 04-05-2014, 11:30 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Your diversity is another's mindless homogeneity.

And let's not ignore the cultural colonialism in this:

I have literally lived all over the world, and in three of four quadrants of the US. I have never expected any of those places to change to make me happy.
You are getting old when you cant handle change.

I dont expect austin to change to make me happy, but I am happy with the changes that austin has experienced since I moved here (Im not from california).

Old 04-05-2014, 11:36 AM

Grabbing purse, famiily and keys, we are outta here and off to See's - to the OP thanks for the heads up, you just brightened up our afternoon!

Old 04-05-2014, 01:47 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
[quote=mamacatnv;34229872 If there was not a market/want for the product the supplier would not go to the expense to put their stores here.
.[/quote]

Tell that to the folks who opened the Meat Market at Avery Ranch...or to about 1/3 of the yogurt franchises opened in the last 5 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatnv View Post
Grabbing purse, famiily and keys, we are outta here and off to See's - to the OP thanks for the heads up, you just brightened up our afternoon!
Have fun in that zoo of a parking lot! I think it's a niche product for a select market. Time will tell whether they can make it on folks who prefer their product and make those 'road trips' often enough.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Tell that to the folks who opened the Meat Market at Avery Ranch...or to about 1/3 of the yogurt franchises opened in the last 5 years.

Have fun in that zoo of a parking lot! I think it's a niche product for a select market. Time will tell whether they can make it on folks who prefer their product and make those 'road trips' often enough.
Not every business will succeed in every location, that is a given but some of the ones we have been discussing are well established and have a fan base that has long reaching arms.

I know folks all over the country who are pining for a Trader Joes or a In-n-Out or a Friendly's or even a Whataburger or Rudy's or Costco or Winco. We get used to something, it becomes familiar and if we relocate sometimes having something familiar in the mix of all the new things is a welcome treat.

Old 04-05-2014, 04:47 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,508,721 times
Thanks for posting about See's! I always feel like such a piglet boarding a flight at SFO, SJC, or OAK with a massive bag of See's under my arm. It literally gets hidden and metered out in order for it to last longer between visits back home.

Old 04-05-2014, 05:21 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,279,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
You are getting old when you cant handle change.
Isn't the person who can't learn to enjoy whatever there is in the place they move, the one who can't handle change?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin