Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 08:46 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times

Advertisements

No dust-up - I can remember eating See's candies back in my childhood (not sure how, but I did have a couple of aunts who lived in California and would come home for holidays sometimes, and we visited them a time or two.

Just pointing out that the "trifecta" comment seems to indicate that the equally delicious equivalent in all categories didn't exist here before the arrival of the California offerings, and that's inaccurate.

Plus, I do love to support local businesses whenever possible in part because that's how things like Sees and such come to exist - someone supports them instead of longing for something from somewhere else, learns that, hey, just because it's not exactly like where I came from doesn't mean it isn't pretty darned delicious, and they get to stay in business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 09:38 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
I used to work for Lammes, and I never got the appeal. Yes, it's cool that they are still local, but I never thought the candy was all that great - with the exception of their pralines. A lot of it they don't even make themselves. The truffles, the hard candy, much of the holiday stuff - not made by them. And their fudge is made from a powdered mix.

That said, I kind of feel the same way about See's. It's good (I would even say better than Lammes), but I don't think it's great.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:53 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
I don't know anything about See's candy, but my new favorite is Southern Candymakers out of Louisiana.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:52 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,103,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
I used to work for Lammes, and I never got the appeal. Yes, it's cool that they are still local, but I never thought the candy was all that great - with the exception of their pralines. A lot of it they don't even make themselves. The truffles, the hard candy, much of the holiday stuff - not made by them. And their fudge is made from a powdered mix.

That said, I kind of feel the same way about See's. It's good (I would even say better than Lammes), but I don't think it's great.

When we lived in CA, I had a friend who worked in a See's store. She said that being able to eat candy whenever she wanted made her put on weight for a while, but after a few weeks, it all just became sweet stuff, and she got sick of it. She no longer eats candy, just sells it.

Personally, I agree that See's is better than Lammes, but I don't think See's is the greatest thing out there. I think there are small companies that make higher quality, hand made candies. But I'm no expert because candy isn't something I go out of my way to find.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:49 AM

384 posts, read 980,988 times
I've always loved the Sees bourdeux bars. They're like a fine version of a 3 Musketeers bar. I really only shop at Sees for Easter, because they have a lot of interesting chocolates for kids; not the gritty junk you get at grocery stores. But I hope that they make it. I love going into the store and looking into their cases with SO MANY varieties of truffles and such. It's a pretty unique store, and I actually prefer it to Godiva.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:51 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
Sees is good quality at a reasonable price. Maybe around $1- $1.50 per chocolate instead of the 2-3 of godiva or other high end brands.

They also have a good mix of chews and truffles.

Back home we had a chocolate chain called fannie mae. Sees is better than both fannie mae and lammes.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:07 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
When we lived in CA, I had a friend who worked in a See's store. She said that being able to eat candy whenever she wanted made her put on weight for a while, but after a few weeks, it all just became sweet stuff, and she got sick of it. She no longer eats candy, just sells it.

Personally, I agree that See's is better than Lammes, but I don't think See's is the greatest thing out there. I think there are small companies that make higher quality, hand made candies. But I'm no expert because candy isn't something I go out of my way to find.
Best candy I ever had is a small shop in my hometown. Owned by the same people for 75 years - "factory" in the back, store in the front. And when I say small, I mean small. They haven't changed anything. They never expanded and still don't take credit cards. Because they don't want to expand operations (or take plastic), they also don't mail order, much to my chagrin. But their quality has never been compromised. And they still make it all themselves. I load up every time I go home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin