Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 02:07 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,017 times

Advertisements

Austin,

Give it up. It's too late. You've been "Houstonized"... Dallasized. The whole Keep Austin wierd thing is over for you. Just quit fighting it. You're in Texas. Home of the sprawly overgrown cities.

Deal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 03:49 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,576,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
A train from Highland Mall is a solution to what?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpurcell View Post
Train Envy, scm. It's a solution to Train Envy.
What does doing nothing solve? Considering that rail plans are practically still in the embryonic stage, I'd say a train from Highland Mall to Downtown, which serves one of the densest corridors in Central Texas, isn't a bad place to start, no? You can't expect a final draft or even a solid thesis when you don't even give the writer any damn time, no? The way you react to any proposal, it's almost as if you're angry that the city isn't paying for a personal helicopter to fly you and your family over the traffic.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:59 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,376,006 times
"Highland Mall to Downtown, which serves one of the densest corridors in Central Texas"

It does no such thing. And it isn't in the "embryonic" stage--its fully out there and fully awful.

Run it up Guadalupe/Lamar, I'm handing out flyers. For this nonsense? Opposed tooth and nail.

Old 04-17-2014, 06:04 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,278,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
What does doing nothing solve?

I'd say a train from Highland Mall to Downtown, which serves one of the densest corridors in Central Texas, isn't a bad place to start, no?
#1. Doing nothing saves $1,500,000,000. Besides, no one ever said do "nothing". That is a false dichotomy you created, for who knows what reason.

#2. Highland to downtown is already served by the Red Line. Why duplicative service?

#3. "One of the densest" corridors is the unlimate in nebulous terms. Why not THE densest? So yes - it IS a bad place to start.

Last edited by scm53; 04-17-2014 at 06:12 PM..

Old 04-18-2014, 12:26 AM

Quote:
#1. Doing nothing saves $1,500,000,000. Besides, no one ever said do "nothing". That is a false dichotomy you created, for who knows what reason.

#2. Highland to downtown is already served by the Red Line. Why duplicative service?

#3. "One of the densest" corridors is the unlimate in nebulous terms. Why not THE densest? So yes - it IS a bad place to start.
#1. Propose a solution that doesn't involve rapid public transit. Just propose something. After all, that's all that rail is in Austin right now, a proposal. Contribute something beyond nay-saying. I'm not making the false dichotomy here; I'm interpreting your posts. I don't think rail is the only solution. Also, can you cite the $1.5 billion pricetag? I'm not doubting, I'd just like to see.

#2. Let's just put aside the fact that there's never been a serious proposal to put a line from Downtown to Highland. (I'm in civil engineering and talk to transportation engineers on a regular basis. Here's a map. http://i.imgur.com/fGmPbeZ.png) It would connect what will be a very large community college campus, Hyde Park, Hancock, UT, the new medical school, and downtown. There is already enough to support that line with what I've listed, but considering density builds up around stops, trains have a known habit of creating their own demand.

#3. I say "one" of the densest because it covers my ass better than saying "densest". If I'm gathering correctly (I might not be), it sounds like you're panties are in a wad because you think the first line should go down Guadalupe and down South Lamar.

Old 04-18-2014, 05:24 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,278,461 times
Quote:
I'm not making the false dichotomy here; I'm interpreting your posts. I don't think rail is the only solution. Also, can you cite the $1.5 billion pricetag? I'm not doubting, I'd just like to see.
Wrong guy. Never said do nothing. And I'm not doing your research for you. Gather some facts to inform your copious opinions.

Quote:
#2. Let's just put aside the fact that there's never been a serious proposal to put a line from Downtown to Highland.
A rail line exists now from downtown to Highland. More uninformed opinion.

Quote:
It would connect what will be a very large community college campus, Hyde Park, Hancock, UT, the new medical school, and downtown. There is already enough to support that line with what I've listed, but considering density builds up around stops, trains have a known habit of creating their own demand.
1. Everything in bold is non-taxed. Why should the taxpayers of Austin reach into their pockets for amenities for untaxed property - which will never have taxable TOD?

2. If you think the HPNA will ever allow "density (to) builds up around stops", you are sadly mistaken.

3. "There is already enough to support that line". If there is, why isn't the current bus line even in the top three for daily boardings - and barely in the top six?

Quote:
If I'm gathering correctly (I might not be), it sounds like you're panties are in a wad ...
If you want a serious answer, ask a serious question.

Have a nice Easter weekend.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:21 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,980,690 times
Quote:
Also, can you cite the $1.5 billion pricetag? I'm not doubting, I'd just like to see.
No, he can't. He tried that earlier in this thread, and I called him out on it. He forgot about the federal match, for one thing.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:33 AM

Quote:
1. Everything in bold is non-taxed. Why should the taxpayers of Austin reach into their pockets for amenities for untaxed property - which will never have taxable TOD?
I thought the idea was to improve (or at least reduce the rate of increase) traffic. Who gives a crap if its to untaxed property? What's your plan, intentionally try to avoid serving _all_ untaxed property (like all of UT, the capital, any state office building, etc.), and still have a successful line?

Quote:
2. If you think the HPNA will ever allow "density (to) builds up around stops", you are sadly mistaken.
And you think sending it up G/L will be any better? The proposed routing only has a short segment through Hyde Park, most of it actually runs through Hancock and North Loop.
ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/npzd/Austi...status_tab.pdf

Old 04-18-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
No, he can't. He tried that earlier in this thread, and I called him out on it. He forgot about the federal match, for one thing.
Yeah, that last post was honestly one of the most pathetic rebuttals I've ever seen. I point out how he talks about how a fake urban rail route with a made up pricetag for pages, then all the sudden he's talking about the commuter train? And since when is public transit not designed to carry people to/from important nodes? I wasn't aware the only purpose of public transit was to create TOD. This really is too funny.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:23 AM

Quote:
he talks about how a fake urban rail route
I admit I'm a little confused as to what you mean by this. The current proposal _is_ for rail from downtown through campus/hancock and to Highland (and also from downtown to down riverside). Final details for this aren't set, including the final price (but certainly won't be 1.5 billion in local money).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin