Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 09:40 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times

Advertisements

Do residential mosquito control services actually work? Any experience with the above company or related services? The mosquitos are a pain in the butt and if I can get prevent them from bothering my family, it's worth whatever the cost.

Thoughts, please. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 09:56 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,316,009 times
I hope there are some useful replies here because last year the mosquitos were rough...I started to weigh the options in regards to the kids.

Do I:

-Keep the kids shut-in all the time.
-Endanger their central nervous systems with repeated exposure to Deet.
-Let them out unprotected and deal with bites and exposure to West Nile.

I'd like to piggyback on your thread and ask who would be responsible for pest control surrounding a retention pond/swamp in my community. The HOA or the some city/gov department?

Old 04-07-2014, 10:12 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
Quote:
The HOA or the some city/gov department?
Or nobody? .

If it holds water constantly, get some fish in there, that will take care of a LOT of the problem.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:34 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoasting View Post
I hope there are some useful replies here because last year the mosquitos were rough...I started to weigh the options in regards to the kids.

Do I:

-Keep the kids shut-in all the time.
-Endanger their central nervous systems with repeated exposure to Deet.
-Let them out unprotected and deal with bites and exposure to West Nile.

I'd like to piggyback on your thread and ask who would be responsible for pest control surrounding a retention pond/swamp in my community. The HOA or the some city/gov department?
The HOA periodically cuts the retention pond if they in fact own it. If it is a city pond, then I guess that would fall under the public works department. However, they aren't very good about cutting unless the overgrowth really causes a problem (like a fire, etc.)

Old 04-07-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Or nobody? .

If it holds water constantly, get some fish in there, that will take care of a LOT of the problem.
Yes, I suspect the nobody answer is the correct one!

I Haven't been here a full year so far so I'm uncertain if it keeps enough water in it year round but the fish could work!

Other than that I have been eyeballing some organic, larva killing pucks that I can toss in the water although I suspect I'd need a wheel barrow full of them.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
The HOA periodically cuts the retention pond if they in fact own it. If it is a city pond, then I guess that would fall under the public works department. However, they aren't very good about cutting unless the overgrowth really causes a problem (like a fire, etc.)
Yeah, I'll have to dig a little deeper to find out who is responsible for the swampy retention pond ditch.

Old 04-07-2014, 03:23 PM

101 posts, read 165,186 times
Throw a couple of these in there: Freshwater Pond Fish for Water Gardens Mosquito fish

Old 04-07-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoviero View Post
I'll have to do some research on this as well as I don't want to go releasing critters that may or may not be native.

Old 04-07-2014, 03:38 PM

101 posts, read 165,186 times
Is the pond or swap connected to any natural body of water, e.g., a lake, river, or creek? If not, then I don't see what could go wrong.

Old 04-07-2014, 03:56 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,277,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Do residential mosquito control services actually work? Any experience with the above company or related services? The mosquitos are a pain in the butt and if I can get prevent them from bothering my family, it's worth whatever the cost.

Thoughts, please. Thanks
We were looking at a house here, that had things outside like sprinkler heads, but MUCH smaller. As the agent what they were. Automatic mosquito sprayers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin