Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 10:03 AM

19 posts, read 38,580 times

Advertisements

I'm really interested in checking out the Dripping Springs area. Does anyone live in this area? Do you like it? How far of a drive is it to downtown Austin? Are their neighborhoods that are closer to downtown than others? I've read that Belterra and Highpointe are nice, is this true? Are the schools good? Any info would be helpful, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 10:05 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,020,012 times
The drive into downtown Austin is not worth it in my opinion - you would be better off in Oak Hill. DS is out in the country and was never really intended to be a bedroom community to Austin, much like Lakeway or Lago Vista. If you are working a 9-5 downtown, be prepared to spend 2-3 hours/day in traffic. A lot of people move to "Austin" with the intention of living in the hill country no matter what, but don't have realistic expectations about price, reasonable location, or traffic. FWIW middle class anglos in Austin have an enormous capacity for sitting in endless traffic, and DS will continue to grow in the future as a result.

Apologies for the cynicism, but white flight is the main driver of sprawl in this direction - the further west you go on 290, the whiter and more elderly the demographics become until you reach Fredericksburg, which is practically one giant nursing home.

Last edited by jobert; 06-23-2011 at 10:21 AM..

Old 06-23-2011, 11:46 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
I think that is a bit harsh. An interesting demographic pattern shown by the last census is that Austin minorities are moving to the suburbs. Most of the movement the last decade has been toward Round Rock, Plugerville, etc.. And the underlying theory is that these people want good schools and a home they can afford. I see no reason this wouldn't happen in southwest and western parts of Austin (including Hays county) over time too.

It is 27 miles from RR12 and 290 to UT. Not sure how long that would take in rush hour. I drive that distance from Spicewood to the Arboretum and it ranges from 40-50 mins most days.

Dripping Springs schools are good. We know a number of families that live in DS and they are very happy with the schools - and these are well educated families that have high expectations for their kids.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:59 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,020,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I think that is a bit harsh.
Apologies for the tangent, and unfairly characterizing Fredericksburg. The other communities I mentioned, like Lakeway and Lago Vista are great for families and those who work in the immediate area.

Traffic into Austin from western Travis County on 71 and 290 is the issue, as it's really bad and is only getting worse (at the 'Y' especially), and endorsing a move to Dripping Springs for someone who plans on working in downtown Austin, is something I have reservations about.

When one looks at a map of Austin, and sees a thick line with "290" inscribed on it, they think it's a true "highway" when it really isn't, so it's misleading. When one travels west of the Y, they will find these roads don't have overpasses, on ramps, and are no larger than city streets with stoplights removed in certain places. The only place that 71 is a true "highway" is when it's known as "Ben White" between Montopolis and Mopac, it turns into a two lane country roads with stoplights outside these two boundaries.

Last edited by jobert; 06-23-2011 at 12:28 PM..

Old 06-23-2011, 05:04 PM

110 posts, read 310,774 times
Dripping springs is a beautiful town, but like what has already been mentioned, the drive into downtown is going to take a lonnnng time during work hours. As a recent former high school student I would say that most of the public schools around here are not great, unless you think having all the sport coaches also as the class room teachers is educational.

Staying in Austin would be the best bet unless you really want to live somewhat out in the country, for being close to the city

Old 06-23-2011, 06:47 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,376,006 times
From Dripping Springs you can take the back way through Driftwood to MOPAC. That's way better than dealing with the Y.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:21 PM

103 posts, read 215,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
... but white flight is the main driver of sprawl in this direction - ....
Oh.. then they're gonna love me when I move in.... Eveybody.... move one town West.. Here comes BitViper!

ETA... two months!

Old 06-23-2011, 07:43 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Quote:
The drive into downtown Austin is not worth it in my opinion - you would be better off in Oak Hill. DS is out in the country and was never really intended to be a bedroom community to Austin, much like Lakeway or Lago Vista. If you are working a 9-5 downtown, be prepared to spend 2-3 hours/day in traffic. A lot of people move to "Austin" with the intention of living in the hill country no matter what, but don't have realistic expectations about price, reasonable location, or traffic. FWIW middle class anglos in Austin have an enormous capacity for sitting in endless traffic, and DS will continue to grow in the future as a result.

Apologies for the cynicism, but white flight is the main driver of sprawl in this direction - the further west you go on 290, the whiter and more elderly the demographics become until you reach Fredericksburg, which is practically one giant nursing home.
Black flight is contributing greatly to sprawl in Pflugerville & Round Rock...thanks to the overpriced gentrification of East Austin which is pushing them out of their once affordable housing.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:56 PM

578 posts, read 1,228,020 times
Quote:
No need to apologize, fairly accurate statement. I was raised there and my family helped settle the area....Kerrville is the same way.
I love my hometown, but I hardly recognize anyone now since people (mainly older) starting flooding the area in the 90's.

To the OP: If you are working downtown, I would advise against this move, that drive will wear you down. For some reason they love to put traffic lights on a major highway which only adds to the frustration. As more development takes place between the "y" and DS, it will only get worse, and then you still have to deal with MoPac.
Schools are good, but you can find the same quality closer to Austin.
If your heart is set on DS, then I would advise you to test out the morning drive before buying (do it after school starts back up and normal traffic conditions return).

Old 06-24-2011, 07:14 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Black flight is contributing greatly to sprawl in Pflugerville & Round Rock...thanks to the overpriced gentrification of East Austin which is pushing them out of their once affordable housing.
It isn't just the cost of housing. It's the schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin