Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 09:37 AM

300 posts, read 414,112 times

Advertisements

I consider to put the flag stone to the strip, which is outside of the sidewalk near the street, to reduce the water usage and control the weed. The areas are outside of my property line, but I have maintained them since we purchased the property. The question is that should city maintains these areas? If not, can I put the flag stone at these areas to reduce the water usage and control the weed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 10:11 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,100,141 times
Don't install flagstone, expensive, impervious -- so might impact drainage, and might irritate the city if they ever need to access anything that runs underground in the easement.

Good idea to get rid of the grass through, try xeriscape plants, mulch, or river rock.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Don't install flagstone, expensive, impervious -- so might impact drainage, and might irritate the city if they ever need to access anything that runs underground in the easement.

Good idea to get rid of the grass through, try xeriscape plants, mulch, or river rock.
The sidewalks are on slope and the crashed granite will not stay. Some of my neighbor's gravels were washed away from heavy rain. River rock will not work either, a bus stop for middle school kids at front of the property. The students pick up or kick the rocks to the street.

Old 10-12-2014, 11:52 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Flagstone would add impervious cover, increasing rain run off, which the City has ordinances against doing. Shredded bark mulch would be best in my opinion, it allows rain to soak in and it tends to mat together helping keep it in place.

Old 10-12-2014, 01:38 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,548,407 times
That's a tough one. How about the open cast tiles like some folks use as a driveway. Still have water percolating ability and can be removed as needed for access to whatever is under there.

This site shows some pretty sophisticated designs and applications; but I reckon something more pedestrian would work(get it?...sidewalk...pedestrian?)
Permeable Pavers

Old 10-12-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
That's a tough one. How about the open cast tiles like some folks use as a driveway. Still have water percolating ability and can be removed as needed for access to whatever is under there.

This site shows some pretty sophisticated designs and applications; but I reckon something more pedestrian would work(get it?...sidewalk...pedestrian?)
Permeable Pavers
Thanks! They look nice. I might consider to use paver stone instead of flag stone The sprinkler has wasted a lot of water at the sidewalk grass section especially when it is windy.

Old 10-12-2014, 04:50 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom331 View Post
I consider to put the flag stone to the strip, which is outside of the sidewalk near the street, to reduce the water usage and control the weed. The areas are outside of my property line, but I have maintained them since we purchased the property. The question is that should city maintains these areas? If not, can I put the flag stone at these areas to reduce the water usage and control the weed?
You will have to get city permission since its a right of way next to street. Ordinance likely requires owner to maintain it tho. But then they also give you right to have driveway over the property and some usage rights. Remember tho if they need to get at under ground utilities you might have to replace it. Which is why they may not allow it also.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:05 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,982,503 times
Or what about flagstone (not concreted in) spaced out and set on top of crushed granite or pebbles? That would allow water to drain off but still have the look of the flagstone.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:17 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,630,016 times
Quote:
Or what about flagstone (not concreted in) spaced out and set on top of crushed granite or pebbles? That would allow water to drain off but still have the look of the flagstone.
Something like this was done in several communal areas in our neighborhood, I am not sure if the HOA did it or the COA, but it must be allowable via some mechanism. The areas were intersections that had fairly big grassy areas that I am sure where a nuisance to water. They aren't tiny, maybe covering 70-100 sq ft in some cases?

Old 10-14-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post
Good suggestion and I like this option, but it will not work for my situation. The sidewalk strip is on the slope and the crushed granite will be washed away when it rains. I think that paver stone might work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: