Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 09:30 PM

6,330 posts, read 17,976,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1967 View Post
Steve,

It was all I could do not to break out laughing when I read your response...Sorry to be such a cynic, but I think you are making broad generalizations through rose colored glasses.
I can understand that if you've never been around good agents. All I can say is that the vast mojority I rub elbows with think exactly like I do.

The other side of the coin is this:
consumers are often lazy and misguided in the manner in which they hire Realtors. If not for that, a lot of the bad agents would wash out even quicker instead of hanging around a year or two to screw up a half dozen deals before they vanish. It's not hard to weed the ineffective ones out with a some simple questions:

1) How many homes have you sold in the last 12 months?
2) Where were those homes located?
3) What was the average sales price and days on market (listing agents)
4) How long have you been selling real estate in Austin?
5) What makes you special?
6) What will your strategy be in helping me sell/find my home?
7) What are the three biggest mistakes you'll help me avoid?
8) Do you know how to write/evaluate an offer? Tell me about that, and what the most important elements are of a good offer/contract.
9) Can I have the names and phone numbers of three clients you've helped in the last 3 months?
10) Why should I hire you instead of a Discount Broker? (if they can't justify and defend their fee, how will they defend your price?)

This is not the end-all set of questions, but if you run through them with three different Realtors, you'll have a pretty clear idea of who's going to take care of you and who isn't up to the job.

70% of real estate consumers hire the only agent they interviewed.

Can you think of any business/industry that would have satisfactory results with that type of hiring standard? And who would be to blame for the problems that would surely result - the bad employees or the employer who hired them?

Knock Realtors if you will, but somehow, a lot of bad ones manage to get hired even though they have no experience, no track record, no resume, no negotiating skill, and no interview skills. What other occupation has a screening process that allows such a person to obtain employment? Would you fly on an airline that hired like this? Would you use a doctor or a lawyer who was hired this way? Yet people hire Realtors like this, then complain about how bad most of them are.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 08:25 AM
AGA

729 posts, read 2,696,886 times
What happened to first right of refusal???
AGA

Old 12-11-2007, 10:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,551 times
This is very unfortunate. Both realtors made mistakes. Your realtor, southdown, should have been in closer contact with the seller's realtor and the seller's realtor should have communicated with all about multiple offers and provided a final submission of best offers as jenkirk stated above. I am sorry for your loss but there are many homes to choose from in Austin; you will certainly find something better! And, there are good realtors here in Austin.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:25 PM

233 posts, read 1,043,106 times
There is no valid contract between the poster and the home seller. Right of first refusal doesn't come into play in this instance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin