Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 11:57 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,855,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
Novacek- Austin Post | Austin News & Information

Kohmet, there is no answer to you.

RoadWarrior12 Progress is different than what I am taking about.

Anyone want to give me some names-I am taking them - who is responsible for the wholesale sale of Austin?
No, it's just progress. People sell their land when others offer enough money.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:01 PM

2,602 posts, read 2,980,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
then fussing and fuming about the bus that had been there for donkey's years that was part of the Spoke ("they" eventually took it away and fixed it up and brought it back because it wasn't sanitized enough for them, apparently - had too much character)
By too much character, you mean dangerous broken glass.

Fixing those, by the way, was a good idea agreed James White.
The story behind the bus at the Broken Spoke | www.austin360.com

Of course, it turned out he didn't even own the bus.
Kelso: Broken Spoke owner says bus hauled away | www.mystatesman.com

Old 04-22-2014, 12:15 PM

519 posts, read 777,174 times
Progress and growing pains. It has happened all over the world throughout history and is happening to Austin now.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:26 PM

81 posts, read 221,869 times
LOL at the grumpy old guy.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:34 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,760,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
Novacek- Austin Post | Austin News & Information

Kohmet, there is no answer to you.

RoadWarrior12 Progress is different than what I am taking about.

Anyone want to give me some names-I am taking them - who is responsible for the wholesale sale of Austin?
The good ol' days - when S. Lamar was an auto-sewer taking burbites straight to they sprawlburbs.

Damn, I'm glad we're reclaiming this horrendous stretch of fugly, turning it back into a vital living street street and making it into something far better than it ever was.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:37 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,278,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCardinal View Post
LOL at the grumpy old guy.
I think you assumed wrong on the OP's gender.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:41 PM

36 posts, read 42,800 times
I am responsible.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:02 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Uchi, Odd Duck, Gordough's, East Side King, Barley Swine, Opa!, Black Sheep Lounge, Olivia, Highball, Alamo Drafthouse...

They are the ones responsible. Put enough great new stuff on a street and BAM! people want to live there. So up go the luxury condos and apartments, all with ground-floor retail, so you get even more stuff, and the whole thing snowballs from there.

Frankly, I love S Lamar and what it is becoming. Besides the Saxon pub, 20 years ago the only reason I ever went to S Lamar was for car repair or parts. Feels more organic and natural in growth than downtown, which feels a bit forced at times. If there is anything "wholesale" at all about it, sign me up, cause I'm buying.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:06 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I remember that building, can see it if I shut my eyes. (I used to live right down the street that dead ends into Lamar right across from the Spoke - that area is my old stompin' grounds.

Me too! I remember that building distinctly! 20 plus years in Austin, almost all of them south of the River! OP should call up Steve Sadowsky at CoA department of historic preservation if you are concerned about that building He would have had to sign off on any demolition.

I've spent plenty of hours down at City Hall on zoning cases, without knowing more it (and I didn't hear anything about it from the neighborhood associations) I'm confident that it went through the proper procedure before being torn down. Whatever broader historic context there was for that building was lost decades ago.

Historic Preservation | Planning | AustinTexas.gov - The Official Website of the City of Austin

Old 04-22-2014, 01:06 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,855,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Uchi, Odd Duck, Gordough's, East Side King, Barley Swine, Opa!, Black Sheep Lounge, Olivia, Highball, Alamo Drafthouse...

They are the ones responsible. Put enough great new stuff on a street and BAM! people want to live there. So up go the luxury condos and apartments, all with ground-floor retail, so you get even more stuff, and the whole thing snowballs from there.

Frankly, I love S Lamar and what it is becoming. Besides the Saxon pub, 20 years ago the only reason I ever went to S Lamar was for car repair or parts. Feels more organic and natural in growth than downtown, which feels a bit forced at times. If there is anything "wholesale" at all about it, sign me up, cause I'm buying.
Exactly. Most of the development in this area has enhanced the "character" or Austin, certainly not detracted from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin