Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2019, 04:12 PM

109 posts, read 163,889 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

We are moving to the area from Colorado for my work and I am trying to narrow down my search. I have 3 young kids (elementary aged) and we are looking for a safe, young family oriented community. I need great schools, would like it to be in the hill country with trails in the neighborhood for mountain biking, hiking, running etc. We would prefer a strong community interaction to make friends quickly and easily assimilate the kids (i.e community pool, park, events like concerts in the park etc). Our wish list is 4 or more beds/2baths, 3 car garage, around 3000 square feet and under $500k.

We have narrowed it down to around and west of 183. Examples include Lake Way (Steiner ranch), Leander (Crystal Falls), and Cedar Park/Brushy Creek. I will be working in "the Domain". Are there any places we are missing or one we should cross off our list (I will need to commute in roughly 2 days per week).

Please feel to provide pros and cons to help get more targeted.

Thanks for the help!

Best,

Angelfan760
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 04:44 PM

445 posts, read 413,993 times
Depends on your commute hours. In office traffic, commute from Lakeway or Steiner will be terrible. 183 is also clogged so Crystal Falls will be the same. Brushy Creek is better because Parmer lane is an alternate route to domain. Avery Ranch is another possibility. Since you are coming from Colorado, if you have fascination for hill country views, most of the hill country neighborhoods will have bad commute. If you have flexible hours and can avoid rush hour traffic both ways, then Steiner is a good option since the physical distance from city core is not that long.

Old 07-29-2019, 06:36 PM

895 posts, read 1,240,618 times
I don’t understand when people respond to these posts having not actually lived in that location . I literally live in Leander and work over on the other side of town and commuting is literally a breeze. Crystal falls is not jammed packed and the few lights to get to the toll road are not a big deal. And only twice a week? I take 183A some days down to 45 and there’s never traffic and i do that 5 days a week. Whether it’s 6 am or 8 am it’s a breeze to use. Now for the domain from crystal falls if you take 183A south to 45 west to mopac south (which we do when we go to the domain) it’s literally a 25 minute drive if your doing the speed limit.

Crystal falls is an absolutely awesome development with beautiful scenery all around it. I would highly recommend you check it out in person and take what people say on here with a grain of salt Including even mine. We have a growing family and we love Leander. Quick access to all the shopping and eating 5 minutes away in cedar park (and we are getting ours revving up here now too). Heb center 5 minutes away.. tons of concerts, Texas Stars hockey, Disney on Ice, rodeos etc. isports is building 2 nhl sized rinks with football fields/soccer fields etc which will open in June. Down the road from the mall.. Northline development is getting ready to break ground shortly. Leander school district is strong.

I used to work in bee cave and Lakeway and besides anything near 35 that is the worst traffic in the area. Pretty much one way in and out.. it’s a nightmare. Beautiful but would hate to deal with that commute daily.

Brushy creek is also a great option if you can find what your looking for in your budget.

Old 07-29-2019, 08:09 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,132,739 times
I would not live in steiner and commute to the domain. In general austin E-W routes are bad. I would stay away from communities off 620 because it is so difficult to get to the domain. Anything north will probably be reasonable. I personally would prefer to be off mopac instead of 183

I would also look at avery ranch, it isnt hill country, but has access to the brushy creek greenbelt which has good mountain biking trails.

There are a few 500K 3000 sq ft homes right now in scofield ridge. It doesnt meet many of your criteria, but your commute would be a lot better. You would have a short drive to various mtb trails and good community amenities.

The best mtb trails are brushy creek, walnut creek, all four corners of 2222 and 360, and the barton creek greenbelt.

Old 07-29-2019, 08:47 PM

743 posts, read 1,372,505 times
Avery Ranch, Brushy Creek.

Would NOT consider Lakeway or Steiner Ranch if commuting to the Domain. Traffic would be a nightmare.

Old 08-05-2019, 07:39 AM

15 posts, read 21,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bp25 View Post
Depends on your commute hours. In office traffic, commute from Lakeway or Steiner will be terrible. 183 is also clogged so Crystal Falls will be the same. Brushy Creek is better because Parmer lane is an alternate route to domain. Avery Ranch is another possibility. Since you are coming from Colorado, if you have fascination for hill country views, most of the hill country neighborhoods will have bad commute. If you have flexible hours and can avoid rush hour traffic both ways, then Steiner is a good option since the physical distance from city core is not that long.

what about Quinlan Park Road? i'm always hearing about how bad it is with really only 1 or 2 roads to exist a massive community?

Old 08-05-2019, 09:09 AM

445 posts, read 413,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR1211 View Post
what about Quinlan Park Road? i'm always hearing about how bad it is with really only 1 or 2 roads to exist a massive community?
I don't live there so can't comment specifically on its condition in rush hour but both of Steiner exits end up in 620 which is generally bad and the 620/2222 intersection gets really backed up during rush hour traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin