Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 08:47 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,050,177 times

Advertisements

I visit Austin yesterday and was very much impressed with the 620 and Capital Highway scenery some of the best I have seen in Texas. I alos was impressed with the Mueller developement, The Galleria in Bee Cave and The Domain.

I was not impressed with the housing or streets of the inner city of east Austin or around the university. Is East Austin being neglected because it also has a lot of mini hills. The Book People priceswere out of sight but the restaurant scence has gfreatly improve there.

Downtown Austin is one its way to be some awesome skyline.

Drivng back to SA via 290 to over to SA's 211 I began to notice how much Austin and SA scenery are alike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 09:42 AM

52,687 posts, read 47,946,017 times
You've got to love any city where prairie meets hill country. And that's the scenario that you have in both Austin and San Antonio. Right on the edge of the Texas Hill Country. It is fantastic in both places and it is amazing study in contrasts. Also glad that you've enjoyed the Capital of Texas Highway. It used to be the outskirts of Austin the first time I drove on it in 1989. No more. Now, you have suburban development throughout much of its course. Still, it is one of the most scenic areas in Texas.

Old 12-09-2007, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
You've got to love any city where prairie meets hill country. And that's the scenario that you have in both Austin and San Antonio. Right on the edge of the Texas Hill Country. It is fantastic in both places and it is amazing study in contrasts. Also glad that you've enjoyed the Capital of Texas Highway. It used to be the outskirts of Austin the first time I drove on it in 1989. No more. Now, you have suburban development throughout much of its course. Still, it is one of the most scenic areas in Texas.
Unbeknownst to a lot of Austinites is that the hill country is within the city limits of SA. There are tons of subdivision with vista views in SA that reminds me of area around 620.

Old 12-09-2007, 03:22 PM

Has there ever been a movie with the Capital of Texas Hwy or 620 in it?

Old 12-09-2007, 04:13 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,053,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
I visit Austin yesterday and was very much impressed with the 620 and Capital Highway scenery some of the best I have seen in Texas. I alos was impressed with the Mueller developement, The Galleria in Bee Cave and The Domain.

I was not impressed with the housing or streets of the inner city of east Austin or around the university. Is East Austin being neglected because it also has a lot of mini hills. The Book People priceswere out of sight but the restaurant scence has gfreatly improve there.

Downtown Austin is one its way to be some awesome skyline.

Drivng back to SA via 290 to over to SA's 211 I began to notice how much Austin and SA scenery are alike.
Interestingly, you'll find a lot of locals who have watched Austin grow, express the exact opposite sentiments. You'll hear that the Galleria and the Domain are examples of Austin losing its soul, and that the only places left where you see the true, authentic old Austin are the central areas, including East Austin.

In my opinion, The Cap of TX Hwy and RR 620 drives are butt-ugly compared to how they looked 20 years ago. I can see how a first timer would view them as scenic though, because you didn't see how they use to look before the sprawl got there.

Austin is becoming a real grownup city though, for better or worse.

Steve

Old 12-09-2007, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Interestingly, you'll find a lot of locals who have watched Austin grow, express the exact opposite sentiments. You'll hear that the Galleria and the Domain are examples of Austin losing its soul, and that the only places left where you see the true, authentic old Austin are the central areas, including East Austin.

In my opinion, The Cap of TX Hwy and RR 620 drives are butt-ugly compared to how they looked 20 years ago. I can see how a first timer would view them as scenic though, because you didn't see how they use to look before the sprawl got there.

Austin is becoming a real grownup city though, for better or worse.

Steve
Definitely different today, Steve. I remember when Loop 360 had absolutely nothing at all, save for Barton Creek Square Mall.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:19 PM

233 posts, read 1,046,097 times
Take a look at this picture from 1980. What a difference 25 years (and a bridge) makes.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:38 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,279,540 times
Wow, what a GREAT photo. Thanks for sharing that! Certainly is a different landscape.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:15 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,876,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Have to disagree with that one. When they blasted 360 through the hills west of Austin, it indeed was beautiful hill country, but no different than can be found for hundreds of square miles to the west. They built 360 with the idea of it being part of a big city "outer loop" that never happened. All it ended up doing is providing an easy access route for people to build subdivisions and office parks along the hills... which is what they should have expected. And frankly, I like it. I prefer people to build right off 360, rather than farther out in the hill country where it should remain rural (why build a subdivision 40 miles outside of Austin?)

Hill Country is nice, but somewhat common scenery. Austin (and perhaps El Paso and to a lesser extent SA) is unique in Texas in that the hills are actually part of the city, and urbanized to a degree. When I drive down 360 now, I LIKE seeing the nice houses and office parks perched off cliffs. It kind of reminds me of of Europe, a bit. That's beauty in my eyes, and for my tastes I much prefer the view now versus how it looked in the 80's.

I just like a little density to the city, develop more inside and just along 360, rather than sprawl out Lakeway or Leander. I love what is going on downtown, as pictured below (photo by Romil). I like where city meets nature. That's what cities should look like, IMHO.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austifornian View Post
Take a look at this picture from 1980. What a difference 25 years (and a bridge) makes.

Hey, austifornian, if the bridge was out on 360 and the then-new bridge was being built, do you remember what road that drivers had to divert to to get around it? I'm not sure that there was one. Do you know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin