Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 09:27 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,432,372 times

Advertisements

So, how long does everyone expect them to increase? My neighborhood keeps going up, up and up! As long as people keep moving here in such large numbers, I can't see it decreasing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 09:41 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,854,619 times
Totally neighborhood dependent. That said:

16 months. September/October of 2015 will see the plateau on the total DMA. You're already starting to see it on some of the exurb fringes, resale is slowing down by about a week, price per square foot is starting to stabilize. This will creep inward as interest rates and taxable values creep up.

Can't fight buying power.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:56 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,432,372 times
What fringes? I'm sure you aren't talking about SW Austin which is on fire! Houses in my area go within days! I'm kind of tired of the whole when interest rates go up. People have been saying that for two years!

Old 04-25-2014, 10:21 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
SW Austin is probably the hottest market right now, so not the best example of the city as a whole.

Old 04-25-2014, 11:55 PM

770 posts, read 1,796,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
What fringes? I'm sure you aren't talking about SW Austin which is on fire! Houses in my area go within days! I'm kind of tired of the whole when interest rates go up. People have been saying that for two years!
The only reason SW Austin is "on fire" as you say, is because it is the most recent area of the city to experience a developing boom. That doesn't necessarily mean that homes in SW Austin are worth what they cost.

I don't care how "hot" an area of a city is, if the cost of living are not reasonable for the majority of people looking to re-locate, then it really isn't a "hot" real estate market (such as the markets in Orange County and in San Diego during the decade of 2000-2010).

Old 04-26-2014, 02:59 AM

119 posts, read 300,261 times
Probably soon. I have noticed people are asking for higher amounts than comparable homes listed just a week or two before but they aren't selling quite as fast. I've seen sellers go up on the price after a buyer backs out. I looked at one property right in the South of Austin and the second floor was TERRIBLE. The house was nice from the outside but inside it was built like a dumpy apartment with dirty walls and cheap mobile home doors. It went pending the day after I looked at it. 200k for rubbish.

Old 04-26-2014, 06:14 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,275,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbe10 View Post
The only reason SW Austin is "on fire" as you say, is because it is the most recent area of the city to experience a developing boom. That doesn't necessarily mean that homes in SW Austin are worth what they cost.
The reasons are: VERY desirable developments with great amenities, solid schools, easier access to downtown than other similarly priced homes, and a restricted supply (due to various city ordinances).

We are very close to build out on new lots SW. After Avaña and Grey Rock, there won't be another - and both of those are limited. SW will lead the metro in appreciation for years.

Old 04-26-2014, 06:50 AM

320 posts, read 486,793 times
Just posted this response on another thread...

I know in the neighborhoods I've been monitoring since I first started looking last year this time, homes are being listed $30-50k more. And the ones that are priced well, sell the first day on the market. Don't know what the others are selling for, but it's a little scary. Not sure we will ever be able to buy here now. Don't want to chase the market and get burned.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:35 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times
A leveling off would be a good thing right now, IMO. But for that to happen, we'd need a drop in demand or increased supply.. and I don't see that happening, at least not in the near future and not for the city itself. The suburbs certainly should be able to catch up on supply so we'll probably see softening there.

I'd prefer if more of the new building in the city was condos vs. apartments... I think when supply is so limited, the existence of a step-up condo market will help support the higher single family home prices in the city itself. That way, folks can still get a starter home in the central area, it will just be a condo. As it is right now, to buy anything is getting astronomical in the city. It's becoming an area of have and have-nots, and that's not healthy.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:43 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,286,495 times
Probably as long as big time investors keep snatching up properties at an amazing clip, and the housing stock is kept artificially low due to city policies against development. Oh, and for as long as the tech boom lasts.

http://www.zerohedge.com/sites/defau...tyTrac%202.jpg

Last edited by brattpowered; 04-26-2014 at 10:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: