Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2014, 02:28 PM

80 posts, read 197,000 times

Advertisements

Hi All

I have told by the builder that my lot is 60' lot and I am in contract with them. But in the final plan it shows that its 55' lot and its goes wider at the back till 74' and also they charged me premium for the lot size due to the total size is greater than the standard 60' lot.
In general is this common that if its 60' lot goes by total dimension rather the actual 60' in the front.

The response from everyone, will be helpful to deal with the builder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 04:37 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,079,250 times
Not sure, but I suspect the builders measure it at the front building setback line. That would limit many houses to the maximum width of what you can build on an individual lot. This is probably a "builder issue" rather than any universal code requirement.

Old 05-04-2014, 06:17 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,816,702 times
Sounds like you're in a cul-de-sac and yes, cul-de-sac lots are charged premiums because you're going to get a much larger lot than your 60' neighbors down the street. To pie out from 55' to the 74', it would be good to give full details next time and not let people on that you're getting cheated, when you've actually picked a premium location.

Old 05-04-2014, 06:23 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,060,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFOtoAustin View Post
Hi All

I have told by the builder that my lot is 60' lot and I am in contract with them. But in the final plan it shows that its 55' lot and its goes wider at the back till 74' and also they charged me premium for the lot size due to the total size is greater than the standard 60' lot.
In general is this common that if its 60' lot goes by total dimension rather the actual 60' in the front.

The response from everyone, will be helpful to deal with the builder.
Sounds like the builder is averaging the width to roughly "60", since it's 74' at the back. For cone shaped lots like that, I don't know the industry requirements. Maybe they take the measurement at median depth. The concept though is that as each section steps up, from 50, 60, 70, 80ft lots, the home sizes and buildout quality increase as well. So, a home in the 60ft section will be a better base grade home than the 50ft section, and less than the 80ft section.

What if it was 74' in front and 55' in back? Would that be ok with you? Not every subdivision can be built with perfect rectangle shaped lots. Many other factors such as trees, separation from neighbors, street traffic, compass direction of the home, etc. affect the desirability of your lot.

Steve

Old 05-04-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Sounds like the builder is averaging the width to roughly "60", since it's 74' at the back. For cone shaped lots like that, I don't know the industry requirements. Maybe they take the measurement at median depth. The concept though is that as each section steps up, from 50, 60, 70, 80ft lots, the home sizes and buildout quality increase as well. So, a home in the 60ft section will be a better base grade home than the 50ft section, and less than the 80ft section.

What if it was 74' in front and 55' in back? Would that be ok with you? Not every subdivision can be built with perfect rectangle shaped lots. Many other factors such as trees, separation from neighbors, street traffic, compass direction of the home, etc. affect the desirability of your lot.

Steve
Thanks for the response
Sometimes having 75' width in the front, there will be a advantage having better elevation for the house, but the backyards will be smaller..
But there is a possibility all the bigger plans can be fit in this lot.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Not sure, but I suspect the builders measure it at the front building setback line. That would limit many houses to the maximum width of what you can build on an individual lot. This is probably a "builder issue" rather than any universal code requirement.
You are right in this aspect. The building setback line is closer to 60'.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:34 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,060,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFOtoAustin View Post
You are right in this aspect. The building setback line is closer to 60'.
I've owned con shaped lots before. It's actually advantageous in that you have a smaller easier to maintain front for street appeal, yet a big spacious back yard that affords greater privacy, more room for playscape, pool, etc. Almost every culdesac lot is like that (though more pronounced than yours), and most owners like it. I'd take that over a reverse cone (fat in front, narrow in back) any day.

Steve

Old 05-05-2014, 07:33 AM

327 posts, read 774,839 times
I agree with everything said. The lot sizes you see from builders in these communities are more for the type of house that can be built. A 60' section has houses that are typically just under 50' wide, which gives you a 5' easement on each side. Some lots may be smaller and irregular, and they may have a few larger lots to accommodate half and full garage additions. When you're in the process of signing the contract to have a house built you pick out a lot, and they should show you a print out of the lot with the rough placement of the house, so you know exactly what you're getting.

Austin-Steve pointed out an advantage that I'd never considered, but I'll definitely remember that. Many people spend more time maintaining their front yard for curb appeal, and it is definitely easier with a cone shaped lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: