Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 01:33 PM

3 posts, read 4,819 times

Advertisements

Why can't people live elsewhere? There are plenty other cities to live in. How many more people can austin accommodate 20 million! Austin is already full to capacity! Pretty soon austin will look like India, china,
And other overcrowded places! I have seen land in austin on breaker and Lamar that has not been bought to build apartments on. If people keep going there all land will be bought and people will take up the empty spaces!. Is Austin Texas going to become overcrowded with people similar to the places I mentioned looks like it!.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 01:40 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,655,455 times
The problem is that the city is not using its money properly to accommodate the growth that has happened so fast in bulk. Rather then improving transportation all across the board they are busy building parks ,waterfalls, planting flowers , and wasting money on nonsense. There needs to be a proper balance , allocation, and disbursement so everything kinda flows.

Last edited by Debsi; 04-29-2014 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: Off topic portion removed

Old 04-29-2014, 01:49 PM

2,602 posts, read 2,972,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portrait55 View Post
Why can't people live elsewhere? There are plenty other cities to live in. How many more people can austin accommodate 20 million! Austin is already full to capacity! Pretty soon austin will look like India, china,
And other overcrowded places! I have seen land in austin on breaker and Lamar that has not been bought to build apartments on. If people keep going there all land will be bought and people will take up the empty spaces!. Is Austin Texas going to become overcrowded with people similar to the places I mentioned looks like it!.
Because it's not.

People want to live here because it's _not_ overcrowded and expensive, especially in comparison to where they're coming from.

Austin is completely not dense at all. In fact, its density _decreased_ in the last census. It's nothing like the mega-cities in India and China.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:53 PM

3,836 posts, read 5,748,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portrait55 View Post
Austin is one of the least dense cities on the planet for its size. It is light years from being "over crowded"

Old 04-29-2014, 01:57 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,839,832 times
People are moving here, because like sheep, we like to move in herds.

Just think, back in the 1920's people were rushing to Detroit at the same pace...

Old 04-29-2014, 02:25 PM

261 posts, read 416,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
People are moving here, because like sheep, we like to move in herds.

Just think, back in the 1920's people were rushing to Detroit at the same pace...
You're exactly right. Lots of cities grew at a faster rate than Austin, for example, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, they all grew at much faster rates than what Austin is growing now, and Austin is supposedly the fastest growing city in the country 4 years in a row.

Look how much faster these cities grew over 50 year time frames compared to Austin.

Between the 50 years time span from 1900 to 1950, Los Angeles went from 102,000 to 1.9 million.

Chicago grew from 29,000 in 1850 to 1.6 million in 1900.

Houston went from 138,000 in 1920 to 1.2 million in 1970.

Detroit, like you mentioned, went from 79,000 in 1870 to 933,000 in 1920.

Between the 50 year time span 1960 to 2010, Austin went from 186,000 to 790,000.

If Austin was growing as fast as these towns did, Austin would be well over a million by now.

Last edited by qwertyasdf; 04-29-2014 at 02:43 PM..

Old 04-29-2014, 03:33 PM

577 posts, read 510,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
The problem is that the city is not using its money properly to accommodate the growth that has happened so fast in bulk. Rather then improving transportation all across the board they are busy building parks ,waterfalls, planting flowers , and wasting money on nonsense. There needs to be a proper balance , allocation, and disbursement so everything kinda flows.

The quality of life in Austin is the main reason for growth. Things like parks, trails etc are a large contributing factor to that quality of life, otherwise Austin would look like Dallas or Houston. Yes I agree that the city needs to make transportation improvements on city streets, but that does not address the over crowded state highways in the area. I believe TXDOT has failed to provide adequate funding to expand state roads in the Austin area for decades now. They could have routed an I-35 bypass east of Austin a long time ago, but somehow now all we can get are more toll roads. Even with all the transportation problems, Austin is still an awesome place to live.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:33 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,309,854 times
NYC: 2013 population of 8,405,837 distributed over a land area of just 305 square miles

Austin: Population of 865,504 (2014 estimate) over 297.90 square miles of land area.

Sooooo we could jam in a cool 3 million more folks and not even be close to the density of NYC, you wouldn't even notice them.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:51 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,262,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctk0p7 View Post
I believe TXDOT has failed to provide adequate funding to expand state roads in the Austin area for decades now.
The credit for that can be laid directly at the feet of the Austin city council. There was an extensive regional plan created in 1985 that was cancelled in 1994 by the post SOS council.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:19 PM

577 posts, read 510,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
The credit for that can be laid directly at the feet of the Austin city council. There was an extensive regional plan created in 1985 that was cancelled in 1994 by the post SOS council.
That may effect projects within Austin, but would not stop the state from building needed roads around the city itself, like an I-35 bypass to the east of the city that would have kept I-35 in town from being the mess it is today. There is a lot of blame that can be spread around upon many agencies. I suppose traffic will just be one of those prices we pay for living in the area. At some point traffic is going to be a reason that people stop moving here, which might not be a bad thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin