Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2014, 11:45 AM

38 posts, read 135,948 times

Advertisements

I have two boys (5,7) and we need to pick which sports to play, when, and with who. We have been here for about eight months and I have been trying to get a good grasp of the youth league sports around here for a while. I need some serious help. There are sooooo many different leagues and it's impossible to know which one is best or will work for us. We have had the twin lakes Y recommended to us a couple of times so we were going to sign up today for tball and baseball. They offer baseball, basketball, and soccer (I think) in the summer. That's another problem I'm having, I don't know which season will be best to play which sports. I can tell that there is a right answer to that question I just don't know what it is. Like which season is best for soccer? Baseball? Basketball? Football? There are just so many options it's really overwhelming and frustrating. So I need all of your help again. Here is what we are looking for and I would really really appreciate any advice or experience.

1. We are doing sports for a fun experience for my young kids, we want something organized but we don't really have a preference how competitive it is. We are definitely not looking to making a huge financial investment for 5 and 7 year old sports though.

2. We live in Anderson Mill West which is near Milburn park, so I REALLY want to get into the best leagues that play in this immediate area, for convenience and so that we can meet people in our neighborhood and community. The kids will be going to Cypress elem. next year so if there is a particular league that people in that area use I would love to know about it.

3. I have looked into T&C and Twin Lakes Y and a couple others, but like I said I can't tell which one is for us.

4. We are looking for all sports any all through out the year, so any suggestions for this area are helpful.

5. For the last couple of months I have watched all of the deadlines come and go for each different sport and league and like I said we are coming up on yet another deadline today for summer sports at the Twin Lakes Y. We need to commit, but I'm just not sure what to do.

***6. The deadline is today so I know I didn't give much time for responses but what is the general consensus on summer sports at the Twin Lakes Y? Is it too hot for outdoor sports like baseball? Should we do basketball instead? Is there a lot of participation for Y summer sports or do most people go through Cedar Park Youth League?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 12:52 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,856,812 times
Just make the call on leagues closest to you, if the intent is to make friends and have fun.

This isn't one of those deals that you can make the "wrong" choice and have some fallout.

Relax, meet people, have fun.

Basketball and swimming are great for the summer - basketball since it's indoors. Swimming, since it's in the water.

Again, relax.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:09 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,653,212 times
Unless you and the kiddos really have a desire for heat this 1st summer stick to basketball and swimming. If you already have ave a Y membership take advantage. Plus very non competitive at this age there.

Old 05-03-2014, 03:55 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
Wow...five year-old basketball! As much as I don't care for soccer, soccer makes more sense at that age. Swimming for sure during the hot weather...the closer to home, the better.

I've never heard anyone say anything negative about the Twin Lakes Y...seems to be very popular.

I'd be less inclined to support an organization that litters the roadside with coroplast signs at every intersection, hawking their sports programs...but that's just me.(You'll see them around Cedar Park for sure)

Good on ya for thinking about the seasonality of sports...life was simpler 'way back' when we played baseball in the spring/summer, football in the fall, basketball during the winter and tennis anytime we darned well pleased! Seems like it's just all mushed together all around the calendar year...and avoiding the heat is of paramount concern.

IF you are looking to drive to ONE MORE activity, I'd consider a martial arts program on an introductory basis...just to get the kids in tune with their bodies.

Give them 2-4 years before hitting the tennis court...if you can find one .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin