Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 04:03 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,277,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb9152 View Post
It's not a "position";
Mea culpa. To me, it is a "position" - at grade wouldn't be permitted. Call it an opinion. Henry's is that it would, and he cites two examples where it is. Like I said, one of you is right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 04:18 PM

2,602 posts, read 2,980,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Ecce. Project Connect map showing Metro Rail running all the way west to Republic Square.
Fair enough. A map from 2012 shows that extension, while in 2014, the more recent, more detailed map does not. They're no longer promoting that extension, so there will be no need for a "future Trinity tunnel".

Old 05-05-2014, 04:36 PM

522 posts, read 657,565 times
Quote:
Ecce. Project Connect map showing Metro Rail running all the way west to Republic Square.
That's an old document (I think from mid-2013), when CMTA was thinking that the Red Line would be extended (which I mentioned earlier in the thread). Unfortunately, it's not labeled clearly that it's been superseded (although it does say 2013).

This is the relevant "Vision Map" (which does not show a Red Line extension across town):

Vision | Project Connect

Old 05-05-2014, 05:15 PM

522 posts, read 657,565 times
Quote:
Mea culpa. To me, it is a "position" - at grade wouldn't be permitted. Call it an opinion. Henry's is that it would, and he cites two examples where it is. Like I said, one of you is right.
Thanks.

The two examples Lyndon cites have their own peculiarities - the Philly one (I'm very familiar with that one; worked there for years) is a historical left-over, and was basically "grandfathered". SEPTA, the transit authority, pays a lot for liability insurance there that's required by the freight railroad, CSX.

The Tampa example is pre-Chatsworth (the commuter rail/freight train crash in LA that resulted from the passenger train engineer texting while operating the train); the Chatsworth crash happened in 2008, while the TECO streetcar line opened in 2002. Post-Chatsworth, the feds had their usual heavy-handed reaction, which included clamping down on crashworthiness, and the imposition of an unfunded mandate - Positive Train Control, on the nation's railroads.

Under the current regulatory regime, it is unlikely at best that FRA would even entertain a new at-grade crossing between heavier, mainline passenger railcars (like the DMUs, compliant or not) and much lighter light rail/streetcar equipment, let alone let it happen without a boatload of $ spent in designing failsafes, etc.

Lyndon is absolutely right that it has happened in the past. Past performance is never indicative of future results when you're talking about federal safety regulators.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:21 PM

625 posts, read 1,133,971 times
Regarding the Hancock east tunnel, last Friday, Keahey mentioned that now they would also consider an aerial option vs below or at grade. Discussion starts at 40:00 on Item 3 (Part 1 of 2), with specific mention at 43:00.

May 2, 2014 Central Corridor Advisory - The City of Austin, TX

At grade crossing not completely ruled out, but "not preferred" at this time (48:00).

Old 05-06-2014, 10:30 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
And the route will require demolishing and rebuilding the Waller Creek Boathouse which was JUST finished somewhere else!!

I cried when the rail proposal was defeated in 2000, I won't be crying this time.
Where did you read about the demolition of the new boathouse? It might be tight but I was thinking they could have it adjacent to the creek.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:18 PM

625 posts, read 1,133,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Where did you read about the demolition of the new boathouse? It might be tight but I was thinking they could have it adjacent to the creek.
Item 3(part 2 of 2) 1:50

May 2, 2014 Central Corridor Advisory - The City of Austin, TX

Old 05-07-2014, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
From the AAS:

Quote:
Lady Bird Lake bridge: The north end likely would return to ground level just south of East Cesar Chavez Street, at Trinity. Building it almost surely would require demolishing the boathouse on the north shore of the lake. It would be rebuilt elsewhere, Keahey said, and the project’s cost estimate includes money to do that. The bridge, he said, likely would include room for sidewalks and bike lanes.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:39 AM

Quote:
That's an old document (I think from mid-2013), when CMTA was thinking that the Red Line would be extended (which I mentioned earlier in the thread). Unfortunately, it's not labeled clearly that it's been superseded (although it does say 2013).

This is the relevant "Vision Map" (which does not show a Red Line extension across town):

Vision | Project Connect
#1. We've both been around long enough to know that nothing is ever permanent. Things come, go, and come back again.

#2. I've seen great transit systems - lived amongst and used them. There isn't a one that doesn't feature seamless intermodal transfers. Having a a four block gap between commuter rail and urban rail, and regional rail and BRT isn't close to "seamless" - especially in as intemperate a place as Austin. This connector will be back, in some form, because it makes too much sense - as it did as recently as a year ago. If there isn't a way to economically bring it back, then yet another reason to reject the proposed route.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Under the current regulatory regime, it is unlikely at best that FRA would even entertain a new at-grade crossing between heavier, mainline passenger railcars (like the DMUs, compliant or not) and much lighter light rail/streetcar equipment, let alone let it happen without a boatload of $ spent in designing failsafes, etc.
Do the Stadler DMUs we use come in an EMU version? If so, couldn't those be the urban rail vehicles? Certainly more expensive - certainly not $220M more expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin