Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2014, 11:12 AM

668 posts, read 783,128 times

Advertisements

We are having a second child in October 2014 and are beginning to consider child care for her. She will need full daytime care (husband and I both work full time) at a center or in-home beginning at 8 weeks of age.

We've looked at Hawthorne Montessori (which was an absolute non-starter) and Bright Horizons on Braker Lane, which I was impressed with. We are also going to look at Children's Courtyard on Metric. Anyone have good/bad experiences with Bright Horizons or Children's Courtyard? Any other suggestions of good infant care programs near the Arboretum/Domain area? I am open to in-home child care as well, but it seems very difficult to find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 11:15 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
I'd start by looking at non-profit daycare and/or NAEYC accredited.
Accredited Program Search | National Association for the Education of Young Children | NAEYC Academy | Accreditation

Old 05-05-2014, 11:25 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
I don't have any experience with that particular Bright Horizons, but we have had kids at the one down south for 7 years now and have been very happy with it. All BH locations should be NAEYC, and while that is not the end all/be all, it does indicate that there is a base level of competence. The lack of the accreditation does not mean they aren't competent, but look more closely. For one year of after school care we used a different (non-NAEYC) facility, and the difference in the teachers was markedly different. NAEYC ensures that the caregivers know (and have been trained in) the basics of childhood development - redirection, conflict resolution, development, etc. Six or seven years ago, I would not have realized how huge the a difference that training can make.

On the flip side, CC is NOT accredited, I don't think (maybe they are now), but used to have a sign that said "meets NAEYC standards" or something slightly vague. They ARE a good daycare chain, but it always irked me a bit that they kind of latched on to the accreditation initials without signing up for the NAEYC oversight.

We ended up with BH over CC solely because of the director at our local CC, not due to any issues with the corporation. Finally, we are currently using Primrose (NAEYC) for after school care and they are also an excellent option (albeit, they are a bit pricier than the others, I think).

One thing we did like about BH is that they had a full kitchen run by a child nutritionist that has greatly assisted our children's' eating choices. They serve breakfast and lunch, as well as snacks in between.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:31 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,374,893 times
ECP at the Jewish Community Association of Austin. Amazing program.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:56 AM

87 posts, read 376,121 times
The place I work has an accredited facility that takes children from "outside" when space is available. Call 512-467-0222, ext. 3694 for more information. It's located on 183 at Riata Trace Parkway.

Both my kids grew up here; it's a wonderful place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin