Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 05:41 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,417,066 times

Advertisements

Are you in Lakeway by chance? That post office is notorious for not delivering mail if there is anything even remotely close to your mailbox. I know lots of people who don't get mail delivered on trash day because the trash trucks (they don't get out of the truck either) drop the cans too close to the mailbox. Not even in front of, but just too close.

We also found out the hard way that our carrier wouldn't deliver mail if the address was abbreviated. In other words, if someone abbreviated Creek as Crk, he wouldn't deliver it, even though that is the abbreviation the post office itself mandates. When I called, they told me, "We can't make him deliver anything." Little did they know that a very dear friend also happens to own the company that is the 2nd largest mail customer in the state. He gave me the direct number to postmaster general for Texas. One phone call and suddenly the Lakeway post office called me with an apology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 08:00 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,541,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Seeing the hydrant isn't the issue - getting to it with their hoses and getting the hoses where they are most needed is if there's a fire he could cost precious time and cost someone one of those cute little casitas (maybe his) at the very least. There's no excuse for consistently parking next to a fire hydrant.
I'm in agreement with you...just making the point that he wasn't completely blocking the entire view as would be the case if one of the roommate's gigunzo trucks parked there. Doesn't explain why he can't park in the garage though. Indeed, it would waste precious seconds; but I'll bet FD could roll his car into the ditch right zippy.

Reminds me...I need to check the color of that hydrant. Seems like it's white.

Old 05-10-2014, 12:16 PM

6 posts, read 26,862 times
I would say the same to the USPS. What business expects to thrive when they are all too willing to inconvenience their customers but not themselves?

Old 05-10-2014, 12:18 PM

They report you to the police and you get a court summons. They fine you!

Old 05-10-2014, 12:21 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,496,763 times
I wish I could tow cars for being in front of my mailbox... You won't believe the obnoxious people who block my mailbox with their massive pickup trucks. In my neighborhood (In Round Rock), the mailman won't deliver if the mailbox isn't clear, and I don't blame him. Half the time these trucks pull up and leave only a couple inches to squeeze through to the mailbox. I'm upset though because I don't get my mail!!!

I really am tempted to start having cars towed.... I've had too many missed mail deliveries.

Old 05-10-2014, 12:31 PM

Safety? In neighborhoods in the middle of the afternoon? We are all off working for a living. In the overwhelming majority of the time you deliver in neighborhoods where the traffic is practically non-existent at those hours. And just HOW was mail delivered prior to those nifty mail cars? That's right! You walked those unsafe streets! As for the wear and tear of said vehicles? That's a stretch, friend. Fix them! The USPS doesn't operate pro bono; you certainly don't. You stick paper in holes for a living. Don't talk to me about a service! You aren't in Afghanistan. Get out of your little car and put the mail in its hole if a parked car is in the way. Earn your money and your pension.

Old 05-10-2014, 12:37 PM

So it revolves around a person that stuffs holes for a living? Service? They are not at war. They drive around from box to box. Get out of your car and walk to the mailbox if a car will not allow you to park two inches from it; how spoiled are you!? They work for us!! You talk like they're doing us a favor. They are well paid and spoiled too boot. I don't know how old you are, but there was a time when they WALKED their routes and came right up to your door. Now they can't walk two feet? PLEASE!!

Old 05-10-2014, 12:41 PM

Presumably, you are parked in front of your mailbox in front of your home. My neighbors have no business parking in front of my home n or my mailbox.

Old 05-10-2014, 01:34 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,854,278 times
You need meds or a vacation. Relax. It's mail.

Old 05-10-2014, 02:43 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,954,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by argelvi View Post
Presumably, you are parked in front of your mailbox in front of your home. My neighbors have no business parking in front of my home n or my mailbox.
There's no reserved public street parking in Austin. People have the right to park wherever they want as long as it isn't a "no parking" zone (or they have a area resident/visitor placard in the few areas where those are required.) You don't own the street in front of your home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin