Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 07:58 AM
hts

762 posts, read 2,162,273 times

Advertisements

I don't mean to offend, but does anyone really care about the lifetime cost of a school bond? I know I don't. All I care about is that it will be approx. $20/mth ($240/yr) to my property tax bill--not a big deal for the significant benefit the bond will bring to our children, our community, and eventually, my property value.

Thank you DSISD residents for putting on your big boy pants and voting in favor of this bond package.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 10:24 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,274,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hts View Post
Congrats to the residents of DS for passing this school bond (more than I can say for Eanes ISD, lol).
Bit of an apples to oranges comparison, with a side of schadenfreude. DSISD is a growing district, with a recognized need for new facilities to handle the expanding student census. Eanes is built out, and land locked. The need for new facilities is debatable. The biggest item in the defeated package was for a new ES - when they already have all six ESs they will ever need. The opposition was led by two former board presidents, whose commitment to the excellence of the district can't be challenged.

All of this is a context you don't understand, because you don't live here. Right now, you sound like the intern who says "Based in my experience ..."

Old 05-12-2014, 11:01 AM
hts

In my experience, not passing school bonds are rarely a good idea, even if backed by former school board presidents.

Oddly enough, as best I can determine, Eanes ISD was the *only* metro Austin school system that had a bond referendum before its electorate and failed to pass it:

Round Rock ISD: $300m passed with 59% of the vote.
Pflugerville ISD: $287m passed with nearly 70% of the vote.
Manor ISD: $125m passed with 61% of the vote.
Dripping Springs ISD: $92m with 58% of the vote.
Hays CISD: $59m with 63% of the vote.
Llano ISD: $33m with 64% percent of the vote.
Marble Falls ISD: $6.5m passed with 51% of the vote.

Eanes ISD: $89.5m FAILED with 55% voting AGAINST.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:03 AM

215 posts, read 350,935 times
Quote:
Congrats to the residents of DS for passing this school bond (more than I can say for Eanes ISD, lol).

Your math is a just a wee bit off, lol (from the DSISD bond site):

If the bond election passes, the estimated maximum tax impact of this bond is anticipated to be a $0.05 increase to the I&S portion, resulting in a total tax rate of $1.54. For a home value of $100,000, this represents an increase of approximately $4.17 per month.

I'm moving to DS at the end of this month and couldn't be happier!!
Thanks for contributing to the destruction of Texas.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:13 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,854,278 times
Quote:
In my experience, not passing school bonds are rarely a good idea, even if backed by former school board presidents.

Oddly enough, as best I can determine, Eanes ISD was the *only* metro Austin school system that had a bond referendum before its electorate and failed to pass it:

Round Rock ISD: $300m passed with 59% of the vote.
Pflugerville ISD: $287m passed with nearly 70% of the vote.
Manor ISD: $125m passed with 61% of the vote.
Dripping Springs ISD: $92m with 58% of the vote.
Hays CISD: $59m with 63% of the vote.
Llano ISD: $33m with 64% percent of the vote.
Marble Falls ISD: $6.5m passed with 51% of the vote.

Eanes ISD: $89.5m FAILED with 55% voting AGAINST.
All of those bond packages are in growing areas. As pointed out above, Eanes is not. That's the difference between the different area(s) needs.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:13 AM
hts

First of all, I didn't vote, so I didn't contribute.

Second of all, perhaps you can explain how investing in the future of our children is contributing to the destruction of the state, or perhaps you're one of those people that just like to troll and throw out zingers?

Old 05-12-2014, 11:14 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,274,900 times
Quote:
Says the parent of school aged children.... Not exactly an objective observer. Are you saying every bond proposal ever voted on was a good idea? That 100% deserved approval?

If boards overreach, and don't "sell" the necessity, it is the responsibility of the voters to correct that overreach. Having lived in a very similar district to Eanes, one doesn't move there without being committed to education. Doesn't mean that one must swallow every proposal hook, line and sinker.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:21 AM
hts

Yes of course I have school aged children ("where you stand depends on where you sit," Miles law).

Generally speaking, I am not in favor of higher taxes. That being said, locally-controlled taxes, such as an ISD referendum, are much better than most. Even if you don't have kids in school, you'd have to be pretty short-sighted to not appreciate the positive impact it will have on property values (again, if you rent, probably not an issue).

And no, I'm not suggesting that every school bond ever proposed was a good idea--that's just plain silly.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:31 AM

206 posts, read 298,830 times
I guess this is the rought draft of the new school. http://www.dsisdbond.net/assets/sd_d...rings_9-16.pdf

I wonder what will happen to the real estate value around the area once the school construction starts.

Belterra will feed into the middle school. Highpointe will be zoned to both the new middle and elementry... Belterra's perk of having their own elementry school is lost since the new school is a rock throw away from Highpointe and the other neighborhoods out there.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:01 PM
hts

I'm not sure it will have a material affect on RE values.

I currently live in Belterra (have kids in DS elementary, middle and high) and although I understand the mentality of choosing to live/purchase in Belterra if one has middle school kids, I don't think it will negatively impact Belterra RE once the new elementary/middle school campus opens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin