Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 10:24 AM

895 posts, read 1,239,353 times

Advertisements

Curious to see what others have to say about the food they feel is wayboverhyped. Now for me I felt compelled to write this after eatinf hopdoddys. Terrible. My favorite place from back home (Chicago) is Portillos and they make the best hamburger and literally everything else (cheese Fry's, Italian beef, tamales, ribs etc) and it makes that burger and fry I had there look silly. I also had the shake (Carmel pretzel) which I'd go to say steak and shake makes a way better shake. This place gets 5 stars in reviews? Lines out the door at 11:10am? HOW?? Next would be chueys. Gf loves it but I don't find it even remotely good. Also lucky dogs pathetic impersonation attempt kd Chicago style food. Yuck. The most acceptable form of Chicago style food that I've found is Chi-town in lakeway. Not overly impressive but does the job until my Portillos arrives via mail .

Anyone else have thoughts on other overrated places?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 10:32 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,275,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny12 View Post
Curious to see what others have to say about the food they feel is wayboverhyped.

Next would be chueys. Gf loves it but I don't find it even remotely good.
That is a subject you need to take up with her, because I don't know of anyone who thinks Chuy's is great Tex Mex.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:35 AM

Haha i have already tried to. I couldn't believe how bad it was..she said her coworkers took her there after raving about it. And it has very good reviews online. Starting to think any place that gets super good reviews online is gonna be a huge disappointment.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:43 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,571,990 times
I've learned that these food threads are always subjective as people always have different tastes when it comes to food. I agree that HopDoddy isn't a great burger, but it was unique and better than fast food places. Chuy's falls into the same category for me. There is nothing bad about the place so we always take out of towners there when they visit us. I had to look up Lucky Dog's. Who eats hot dogs around here unless they're at an Express game?

You should go to Rudy's and Kerbey Lane next. I'm sure that you'll add them to this same list.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:43 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
First, you need to get over the idea that everything in Austin needs to be like Chicago, accept that you're not living in Chicago any more and anywhere you live is not going to turn into Chicago to suit you, and seek out the things that are great wherever you live. You'll be much happier if you do.

Then, I agree with scm53, I don't know anybody who thinks Chuy's (not Chuey's, never heard of that place) is great Tex-Mex - there's much better places all over the area.

Haven't been to the other places you mention, but I don't find hype to be useful for choosing good places to eat so I likely wouldn't. The best burger places I know of tend to be outside of Austin, in little tiny places where people who follow hype wouldn't be seen dead (fine by me, more for me!).

Old 05-12-2014, 10:48 AM

I've been to Rudy's and I love it. Took my family there when they visited and they loved to. Granted for me I have a different experience with the moist brisket from each one (one in round Rock, 620 and barton creek). Love the cream corn, new potatoes and when they make it good the moist brisket.

I ate at lucky dogs after someone who moved here from Chicago 25 years ago said it was the closest thing I'd find to Portillos here. Clearly 25 years does some incredibly crazy things to your memory Lol. And Texas horse lady, I know I know. But I will never give up the fight to find some local good places that I can enjoy on an occasion.

Gino's in round rock doesn't have too bad of pizza oh by the way.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:50 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,984,285 times
Just had some portillios today.mmm.. gonna miss it they are putting the company up for sale though..

Old 05-12-2014, 10:55 AM

Jimmy...why in gods name...and hopefully it doesn't change them. They are making serious profit's so I know its not because of that.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:56 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,571,990 times
Quote:
I've been to Rudy's and I love it.
Right and most of the people here wouldn't even consider it to be in a top 20 list of barbecue places in the Austin area. I have to say that I've been amazed at how some people love Mighty Fine here as well. Others don't get the hype about In N' Out. Austin is such a melting pot of transplants from everywhere that I've accepted that it's just the way it is now. You can generally trust yelp reviews about things like service quality, but you have to go taste the food yourself.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:56 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
I've been to Rudy's and I love it. Took my family there when they visited and they loved to. Granted for me I have a different experience with the moist brisket from each one (one in round Rock, 620 and barton creek). Love the cream corn, new potatoes and when they make it good the moist brisket.

I ate at lucky dogs after someone who moved here from Chicago 25 years ago said it was the closest thing I'd find to Portillos here. Clearly 25 years does some incredibly crazy things to your memory Lol. And Texas horse lady, I know I know. But I will never give up the fight to find some local good places that I can enjoy on an occasion.

Gino's in round rock doesn't have too bad of pizza oh by the way.
And I'm advising you on how to do that. Expand your horizons, seek out the specialties of the place you're in, not the places that claim to replicate where you came from. That way, you'll discover a whole new world of pleasure, and when you visit Chicago, you can enjoy the delights Chicago has to offer that it is known for, and when in Austin, you can enjoy the delights that Austin has to offer that it is known for, and you'll be doubly wealthy in experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin