Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 09:47 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Nice to see the knee jerk reactions at the drop of a hat.

This guy was in possession of hash, with intent to distribute. Even in Colorado, this is a felony. Spin it any way you want. Take all the shots at whatever political body you scorn. Even if personal possession of small quantities of pot is legalized - which even Rick Perry has indicated he would support - there is no way hash with intent to distribute will be legalized.

If your agenda needs a sympathetic subject, this isn't the guy.
I think the part that people are upset about is the possibility if life in prison. Even if he doesn't get it it's still silly that its on the table. And no amount of knee jerk self righteous reactionary "it's the law" talk is going to convince anyone not to have the slightest bit of sympathy. When it comes to being "tough on crime" Texas can be a bit if a laughing stock across the nation.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:05 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Quote:
I think the part that people are upset about is the possibility if life in prison.
People are upset by the possibility - even though that is probably the same law that covers selling tons of heroine? No, the law is broad and judges/juries apply penalties within that range. It would be more bureaucratic and less fair in many cases to try to prescribe sentences in all cases ahead of time.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:12 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
People are upset by the possibility - even though that is probably the same law that covers selling tons of heroine? No, the law is broad and judges/juries apply penalties within that range. It would be more bureaucratic and less fair in many cases to try to prescribe sentences in all cases ahead of time.
Even if it was heroine I would still think the drug laws in this country can be excessive.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:17 AM

52 posts, read 112,220 times
Life in prison? So that he'll feel relieved when he 'only' gets 20 years. Ah, those rascally liberals and their Nanny State! Jeez...

I'm guessing this is some sort of line-in-the-sand... knee jerk reaction... to Colorado? So sad. If it's drug abuse (not use) how is life imprisonment, or even a single year's imprisonment, going to help him?

Or anyone, once he gets out? Homeless, jobless, with no contacts.

What a nightmare.

Last edited by TxinRearvyew; 05-14-2014 at 10:31 AM..

Old 05-14-2014, 11:55 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,279,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Even if it was heroine I would still think the drug laws in this country can be excessive.
Heroine? What's illegal about Bette Davis, Kate Winslet, Sandra Bullock, Audrey Hepburn ...?

Old 05-14-2014, 12:08 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Oops, heroin

Old 05-14-2014, 12:20 PM

547 posts, read 1,434,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
Just another hard-to-fathom-but-true example of why this state's embarrassing stereotypes are mostly true. Way to go Wilco -- brand ambassador for the great state of Texas.
Just another instance where it is hard for people to fathom the difference between the maximum penalty allowed by law and the actual sentence given to the actual person. I don't understand why people do this. I know they need a story, but they don't do this with other things. They don't go "OMG my sister wants to buy a car and cars cost $2 million!" because somewhere out there is a Bugatti that sells for $2 million. But they do it with suspects facing charges every. time.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:09 PM

54 posts, read 74,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Nice to see the knee jerk reactions at the drop of a hat.

This guy was in possession of hash, with intent to distribute. Even in Colorado, this is a felony. Spin it any way you want. Take all the shots at whatever political body you scorn. Even if personal possession of small quantities of pot is legalized - which even Rick Perry has indicated he would support - there is no way hash with intent to distribute will be legalized.

If your agenda needs a sympathetic subject, this isn't the guy.
Actually, you may wanna check your facts. Hash is for sale up here all over the place; legally. Also there is cannabis oil, cannabis "wax", cannabis edibles (cookies, chocolate bars, gummies, etc.), cannabis shard. He would face a misdemeanor for distributing without a permit though, I'll give ya that. He can legally give it away for a delivery fee; to a person 21 or over. Also, hash is just marijuana "dust" (to simplify the term) without so much of the organic flower parts. Commonly it is compressed into a more solid form.
Another glaring reason why I left Texas. Not because I am a pothead but because of the Retarded (capitol R is intentional) laws down there.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:24 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,279,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagumol View Post
Actually, you may wanna check your facts. Hash is for sale up here all over the place; legally. Also there is cannabis oil, cannabis "wax", cannabis edibles (cookies, chocolate bars, gummies, etc.), cannabis shard. He would face a misdemeanor for distributing without a permit though, I'll give ya that. He can legally give it away for a delivery fee; to a person 21 or over. Also, hash is just marijuana "dust" (to simplify the term) without so much of the organic flower parts. Commonly it is compressed into a more solid form.
Another glaring reason why I left Texas. Not because I am a pothead but because of the Retarded (capitol R is intentional) laws down there.
Please feel free to argue with NORML:

Quote:
Hash & Concentrates
One oz or less* no penalty none $ 0
Possession of 1 - 3 oz misdemeanor 6 - 18 mos $ 5,000
Possession of more than 3 oz felony 1 year - 18 mos $ 100,000
Distribute, transfer, or possess with intent less than 1 lb felony 1 - 3 years $ 100,000
Distribute, transfer, or possess with intent 1 - 100 lbs felony 2 - 6 years $ 500,000
Distribute, transfer, or possess with intent more than 100 lbs felony 4 - 12 years $ 750,000
Yes - you can buy and possess hash - just not sell it, like this guy. You can even grow six plants and make your own hash oil. What could go wrong?

Last edited by scm53; 05-14-2014 at 01:44 PM..

Old 05-14-2014, 01:31 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,508,721 times
Meanwhile, a spoiled punk kid with wealthy parents from North Texas skates away with private 'rehab' after killing four people while driving as drunk as a skunk.

Wonky justice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin