Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 03:22 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,988,604 times

Advertisements

If you make that much at 2800 why not buy something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 03:25 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,399,409 times
I would recommend Allandale as filling most of your parameters. Quiet, leafy with a nice park nearby. I found this rental for considerably less than your max if you want a house:
6401 Cary Dr, Austin, TX 78757 is For Rent - Zillow

Old 05-18-2014, 03:34 PM

83 posts, read 104,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
If you make that much at 2800 why not buy something?
I don't think it's a good idea to buy because and we don't know enough about the neighborhoods and we don't even know if we like Austin enough to make a long-term decision to stay there for even a few years. I would prefer to spend less than $2800.. personally.. but many on the forum let me know that's possible unless we want to be really far out.. so we upped our budget so we can still be within 25 minutes of downtown.

Last edited by emeraldcitymer; 05-18-2014 at 03:57 PM..

Old 05-18-2014, 04:05 PM

615 posts, read 781,055 times
You can find a place fitting your requirements for way less than $2,800 in Austin. For example, here's a 2 bd in Hyde Park for $2,100. And that's just one example—there are many others. Based on what you're looking for, centralaustinite's neighborhood suggestions are spot on.

Edit: Here's another great rental in French Place.

Old 05-18-2014, 04:29 PM

78 posts, read 123,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldcitymer View Post
I am a little confused with a lot of numbers people are throwing out there..

For instance, I saw this listing, a luxury building..
a one bedroom is $1900
and a 2/2 is $2600...
Still under $2800.. why is this building so much less than the typical rates for central austin apartments?

AMLI Downtown Floor Plans
I lived at The Whitley (Whitley Apartments | Austin TX) and our 2 bedroom was $2600. GREAT DEAL RIGHT? Parking was an addition $100 for the first car and then $150 for the second, with a grand total of $250 extra for parking tacked on to our rent. Plus utilities/cable/internet/renter's insurance/pet insurance & PET RENT. We're now talking well over $3,000 per month.

On top of that, it was a two bedroom but the apartment was TINY and one of the bedrooms did not have windows. Obviously they had more floor plans to choose from.

It was a great location for walking to downtown events and going out, but not worth the extra thousands. Also, I had to drive everywhere! Whole Foods was almost a mile away...

Anyways, I'd say move to Zilker or Clarksville. These are the neighborhoods that are the epitome of Austin's soul.
Also Tarrytown, Enfield, Brykerwoods, you get it....

Old 05-18-2014, 05:39 PM

207 posts, read 463,675 times
Quote:
I don't think it's a good idea to buy because and we don't know enough about the neighborhoods and we don't even know if we like Austin enough to make a long-term decision to stay there for even a few years. I would prefer to spend less than $2800.. personally.. but many on the forum let me know that's possible unless we want to be really far out.. so we upped our budget so we can still be within 25 minutes of downtown.
Good call.

I'm biased but I'd say aim for Crestview/Brentwood. Quite walkable, big trees (for Austin), dog friendly, some great cafes and local restaurants on the borders of the neighborhood(s), central enough to get downtown if you want, and a nice neighborhood park with jogging path and pool. ~2-2.5k should get you a nice reasonably-updated SFH rental. Signs tend to go up listing places for rent before they show up on craigslist and the like so you should see if you can get someone local to circle through or ask on the listserves. More stuff will start coming available now that summer is arriving.

Oh and if your husband is in working from home the neighborhoods also have the best selection of internet providers if that matters for his work: AT&T U-verse, Time Warner Cable, AND Grande communications (what I use for telecommuting).

Old 05-18-2014, 07:08 PM

213 posts, read 301,634 times
Check out the neighborhood guide on airbnb. Then cross reference it with zillow to see where u wanna be for the money...

Old 05-18-2014, 09:28 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
I must have missed the other thread. 2800 should be good anywhere in town except the fanciest downtown condos.

Not sure who said you needed to spend 2800, that doesnt sound right to me. I would think 1500-2000 would be fine.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:18 AM

440 posts, read 714,622 times
There's a definite different "feel" between north and south of the river. I'm more a "south" person and always have been. It' a good call to rent for a year; yeah, you could buy a place on that budget but you have to be ready to strike fast and it's best if you're not already encumbered with a current mortgage should you buy a place that's not right for you. Was in Bouldin last night and despite my anti-hipster hives, I STILL love the place, the air-kissers discussing their next vacation be damned.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:59 AM

912 posts, read 1,285,880 times
Definitely check out 78757. If you can find anything in the neighborhood behind the village drafthouse/hopdaddy's, I'd bet you'd really enjoy that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin