Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 08:15 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,839,832 times

Advertisements

The property taxes are far too high for what you are seeking. There is a growing Jewish population but nothing like Chicago. The coast is still a good 4 hour drive away.

I would think that the Miami Beach area would offer more in terms of what you are looking for. Very large Jewish community, on the beach, you can walk to everything, etc... Only thing limiting you would be price.

Another alternative would be New Orleans. Uptown New Orleans has a large synagogue and a very active Jewish community, property taxes are cheap, the weather is warm, the restaurants second to none, and everything is within walking or a streetcar ride away. The MS Gulf Coast is very close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 07:24 AM

13,715 posts, read 31,093,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
The property taxes are far too high for what you are seeking. There is a growing Jewish population but nothing like Chicago. The coast is still a good 4 hour drive away.

I would think that the Miami Beach area would offer more in terms of what you are looking for. Very large Jewish community, on the beach, you can walk to everything, etc... Only thing limiting you would be price.

Another alternative would be New Orleans. Uptown New Orleans has a large synagogue and a very active Jewish community, property taxes are cheap, the weather is warm, the restaurants second to none, and everything is within walking or a streetcar ride away. The MS Gulf Coast is very close.
How do you know the property taxes are too high for the OP? She didn't say what her limit on taxes is.

I agree the property tax burden is significant and should be considered but "too high" is relative. Property tax rates in the general Austin area are about twice what they are in San Diego (maybe 1.2%?).

I respectfully suggest New Orleans is a nice place to visit but a poor choice for a permanent home. Ridiculous violent crime rate, subject to severe weather, and humidity as bad or worse than Houston.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:18 AM

152 posts, read 195,761 times
I say this with my stepfather being Jewish. Jews from Chicago would likely not fit in in Austin. Try Florida. My step grandmother absolutely loved it.

Old 05-23-2014, 04:16 PM

440 posts, read 529,881 times
We are in a non-Jewish area of Chicagoland and just want to make sure we don't end up somewhere with only one synagogue an hour away or something. We don't have to be in the midst of the tribe, just within reach. I think Miami Beach would not offer us the kind of neighborhood we want; looks like we'd have to be inland in a development. Although we could get a stunning house. Been to both coasts of Florida plenty of times. If we did want to move to a hurricane-prone city, we'd pick Florida over New Orleans! And one site I saw said there were only about 10,000 Jews in all of Louisiana . Tampa Bay alone has triple that number. It's been interesting researching the demographics! At the moment I've put Phoenix (Scottsdale) on my radar. That means giving up on a coast although allowing vacation drive access to southern California.

$21,000 annual property taxes would possibly be doable but only if we didn't have any mortgage, which would mean we'd have to stay well under a $700K house. Even then it's a big stretch. We're currently paying about 1.67%; the area of San Diego we're considering is about 1.17%.

OK, Austin will go further down the list for now. Thx!

Old 05-23-2014, 05:50 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,962,514 times
Uhhhh no.

The Shavano Park area of San Antonio has a good amount of Jewish people. Heck! The Alon HEB was built with the Jewish community in mind, lots of kosher meat and wine. And a very large Jewish community center is there also. A little over 2 hour drive to the coast also.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:20 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,952,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatWarmer View Post
We are in a non-Jewish area of Chicagoland and just want to make sure we don't end up somewhere with only one synagogue an hour away or something. We don't have to be in the midst of the tribe, just within reach. I think Miami Beach would not offer us the kind of neighborhood we want; looks like we'd have to be inland in a development. Although we could get a stunning house. Been to both coasts of Florida plenty of times. If we did want to move to a hurricane-prone city, we'd pick Florida over New Orleans! And one site I saw said there were only about 10,000 Jews in all of Louisiana . Tampa Bay alone has triple that number. It's been interesting researching the demographics! At the moment I've put Phoenix (Scottsdale) on my radar. That means giving up on a coast although allowing vacation drive access to southern California.

$21,000 annual property taxes would possibly be doable but only if we didn't have any mortgage, which would mean we'd have to stay well under a $700K house. Even then it's a big stretch. We're currently paying about 1.67%; the area of San Diego we're considering is about 1.17%.

OK, Austin will go further down the list for now. Thx!
I suggest that your estimate of how expensive a home you would need to be comfortable in Austin is way to high.

We are a retired couple in one of the nicest neighborhoods in SW Austin, Legend Oaks, who live in a 2349 SF all brick home with a moderate yard, 4 bdrm, 2 bath, 2 car garage, much more room than we actually need, built in 1989.

Also the numbers others are quoting for property taxes seem really high to me. We have the homestead exemption and the over 65 exemption. Which you should be able to get.

2014 tax assessment estimate $305,000
2013 tax assessment $247,000
Property Tax
2013 $3,688
2012 $3,712
2011 $3,632
2010 $3,600

Old 05-23-2014, 09:23 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,731,636 times
Go to Northwest Austin, specifically Far West Blvd around Mesa Blvd. It has become the official Jewish neighborhood by the city of Austin. The original Jewish hood was Cat Mountian, but the booming Jewish population spread to North Cat Mountain and surrounding neighborhoods. The Dell Community Center for Jewish life is there with numerous synagogues and groups. Plus, the local HEB grocery store has a kosher section with the rabbi that comes to bless the meat. A few years ago. The city gave permission for an eruv to be erected for more orthodox observers. If you came to visit, I believe you'd like the area.

Old 05-24-2014, 01:05 PM

13,715 posts, read 31,093,243 times
Perhaps the OP has not looked at this site:

New to Austin Jewish Community - Jewish Community Association of Austin

I know Jewish people that have happily lived here for decades. But since religion is rarely a topic of discussion among the people I know, I have no idea if these people are satisfied or not with the Jewish part of their life in Austin.

Old 05-24-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
How do you know the property taxes are too high for the OP? She didn't say what her limit on taxes is.

I agree the property tax burden is significant and should be considered but "too high" is relative. Property tax rates in the general Austin area are about twice what they are in San Diego (maybe 1.2%?).

I respectfully suggest New Orleans is a nice place to visit but a poor choice for a permanent home. Ridiculous violent crime rate, subject to severe weather, and humidity as bad or worse than Houston.
Have you spent significant time in Uptown New Orleans? If not then you are probably not qualified to talk about it.

Old 05-24-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatWarmer View Post
And one site I saw said there were only about 10,000 Jews in all of Louisiana . !
But 95% are located in Uptown New Orleans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin