Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2014, 11:32 AM

126 posts, read 301,567 times

Advertisements

Except the Michaels, Hobbylobby, is there any local frame store in Austin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 12:30 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Aarons does a nice job.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:43 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,278,461 times
They aren't cheap, but Blue Skies, just N of Seton does great work.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:17 PM

997 posts, read 1,312,534 times
Even at Michael's it wasn't cheap, kind of surprised how much framing costs.

Old 05-31-2014, 01:30 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,102,284 times
My sister is an artist, and I have gotten many of her works framed at Fast Frames on William Cannon. This is a franchise, so I can't speak to the staff at other locations, but the people I work with there are very very helpful, flexible with all kinds of designs, and have great taste and materials. Good framing is never cheap unless you are talking about buying a ready made frame at Target. If you are getting custom framing, it will be a bit costly, depending on what you pick for frame material. I have, however, also put some items in ready made frames, and taken them to Fast Frame just for matting. They are happy to do that. If your picture is in a standard size, that is a money saving way to go, while still getting matting that will bring out the features/colors you want in the art. If you are going this route and unsure of the size of frame you should buy, you can go by and they will help you to make that decision. Fast Frame frequently has coupons out that will take some sting out of the price. Really, though, if you are working with fine art of a treasured photo or poster that you will be seeing every day, it is worth the money to have the project done beautifully.

Old 05-31-2014, 05:39 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,164,680 times
Another option is to shop on the internet. There are a large number of places for buying frames, with prices running the gamut. Art supply firms are one source, but there are also so-called "wholesale frame" sales sources. Try GOOGLING on "discount picture frames."

Old 05-31-2014, 06:47 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
I love to tell this story...Shortly after arriving in Austin, my DW attended the City Wide Garage Sale and found a painting by a local artist...a cowboy theme done on a piece of paneling about five and a half feet wide, 30 inches tall. She didn't care for the 'budget' frame the fellow had on the piece and we went in search of a store to make a frame for us. After going to Michaels with a 'half off' coupon, I was given the OK to make a frame myself. I bought a serious Makita dual-bevel, sliding compound miter saw and the stock for the frame for less than the Michaels price.(Hint: the saw was $400)

Still getting compliments on the frame!

There is a fairly new place on S. Bell in Cedar Park...center with the original Moonie's, ACE Hardware and Los Chilaquiles ...but I don't know the name...looks like an independent.

From a budget standpoint, let's hope your pieces are a stock size and you like some of the stock frames
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin