Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 11:28 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesmer View Post
There's nothing here that says someone would need a permit from the city for a deck that's not in the city:

Permitting Requirements for the City of Austin
You must not understand what you are reading on that site. It does say (note the parts I underlined):

Quote:
Extra-territorial Jurisdiction (not limited purpose annexation) – The extra-territorial jurisdiction (ETJ) is that area extending five miles outside the City of Austin corporate limits. All development in the ETJ is required to obtain site plan (development permit) approvals or site plan exemptions from the City. In addition, plumbing and/or electrical permits may be required if the project is served by City utilities (ETJ fees will be assessed in addition to the permit fees). Development and driveway permits are required by Travis County and Hays County.
All areas inside the city limits and/or ETJ (other commonly required approvals):
  • Austin/Travis County Health Department permits, if the project needs a septic system or if it is a sanitary land fill or salvage yard. LCRA has jurisdiction for permits for septic tanks adjacent to Lake Travis.
  • US Fish and Wildlife Service permits for endangered species habitats.
  • Texas Water Commission permit for projects over the Edwards Aquifer.
  • Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, Corps of Engineers approval for drainage modifications.
  • Projects involving single family boat docks, earthwork, site clearing, utilities, and street and drainage improvements require a site plan (development permit) or site plan exemption. Boat docks also require building and electrical (if lighted) permits along Lake Austin.
Construction of a deck could impact drainage patterns, could involve earthwork and site clearing and does increase the impervious cover on the site, which I am pretty sure does require a site plan review and or site plan exemption. Of course many people just play ignorant and pretend like they do not know that is a requirement and build decks as they please. 50% of an uncovered wood or similar deck area has to be counted as impervious cover. If the total amount of impervious cover (all structures, roofs, sheds, paving, driveways, patios, sidewalks and decks) on your site is less than 45% you are OK. More than that is not allowed as it increases the amount of rain run off during storms, which contributes to flooding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 08:43 AM

2 posts, read 2,015 times
Smile Thanks

It's amazing what you learn. My new acronym for the day JTE. I will head to the website and try and find out. I know I need HOA approval and I thought the HOA would know but they are unsure as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin