Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 02:46 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,093,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillcountryheart View Post
You must not be from Texas (which is okay).

I'd love to have a "Cheers" or a local pub, but in a state that still has dry counties, booze was to be kept away from dwellings. The zoning laws still reflect that in many cities.
My family has been in Texas for generations. I've lived in Austin since '84--born in Houston.

There are a handful of bars in neighborhoods in central Austin. The Tigress and the Work Horse on North Loop (53rd Street), for example. The Draught House on Medical Parkway. Lala's on Justin.

As stated, I realize there are zoning laws. Zoning laws can be changed. Clearly there's some room for flexibility if these bars I mentioned are allowed in a neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 03:47 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,276,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
There are a handful of bars in neighborhoods in central Austin. The Tigress and the Work Horse on North Loop (53rd Street), for example.
Pretty safe bet on getting zoning for any cocktail lounge to be located next to a sex toy store.

Old 06-01-2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Pretty safe bet on getting zoning for any cocktail lounge to be located next to a sex toy store.
If you build it, they will come.

Old 06-01-2014, 04:27 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,548,407 times
So, there's no drunk driving by any of the residents who live in proximity to those above mentioned bars. What a simple solution!

Old 06-01-2014, 04:35 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,855,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
So, there's no drunk driving by any of the residents who live in proximity to those above mentioned bars. What a simple solution!
Nope. None at all!

Magic!

Now, the friends who come hang out with them. Well, they teleport.

Old 06-01-2014, 04:43 PM

Quote:
You DON'T even want to think about a DUI in Germany. Over .116, a fine based on your income - typically 2500 - 5000 €. License suspension of 6 months - after being licenseless for months awaiting a court date. But that is when the fun just starts: a thorough medical and psychological "inquiry". First part is a hand eye coordination test. Second part is a liver function test for elevated enzymes associated with chronic alcohol abuse. Last part is the hardest. Extensive questioning by a psychologist to determine if you can control your drinking. 70% failure rate. Four month wait for a retake - licenseless.

The Germans view DUI as antisocial behavior. If that is "judgemental", then so be it.

PS - for all the bike riders here, you can get the same process for DUI on a bike.
He was being judgmental about drinking too much and being able to walk home.
Not DUI.

I am all for harsher penalties for DUI.

Old 06-01-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Not DUI.

It isn't about punishment - it is about societal attitudes. In Germany, DUI (including on a bicycle) is considered anti-social behavior. We would never do that - "too judgmental".

Old 06-01-2014, 05:02 PM

Quote:
It isn't about punishment - it is about societal attitudes. In Germany, DUI (including on a bicycle) is considered anti-social behavior. We would never do that - "too judgmental".
Yeah. Americans aren't judgmental (or hypocritical) about mind-altering substance use. Not at all.

Isn't the US the only first-world country that still has capital punishment?
Yet it seems like we're the most lenient when it comes to guns and DUI.

So, back to this neighborhood bar discussion.
I wonder how the neighbors around the Tigress feel about having a cocktail bar so close?
Anybody live near it?

Old 06-01-2014, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Yeah. Americans aren't judgmental (or hypocritical) about mind-altering substance use. Not at all.

Isn't the US the only first-world country that still has capital punishment?
Yet it seems like we're the most lenient when it comes to guns and DUI.
It isn't about "use" - it is about "abuse". And only when it endangers others. Sorry you can't - or won't - make the distinction.

Nice strawmen there at the end, however.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:26 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,855,492 times
Quote:
Not DUI.

No. I was being judgmental about it being the city's responsibility to help you over-indulge, while posing that that public assistance for addictive behavior would somehow solve a "big problem".

As for the death penalty strawman, when are you headed to Japan to let them know they're not a " first world" nation? You going there before or after you visit the world largest economy (China), one of the largest nations (India), the oil triumvirate in Iraq, Iran and Saudi Arabia?

Or did you just mean white countries like Russia?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin