Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2014, 06:29 PM

2 posts, read 3,591 times

Advertisements

Hey Guys,

My wife and I used to live in the 'burbs of NW Austin and probably took for granted how great the schools were there.

We now have the option to move back to Austin and are looking at Dripping. I'm wondering if those of you that are familiar with Rooster Springs can weigh in on your opinion of the school.

I've seen the test scores and the great schools ratings and read the online posted reviews, but am looking for a bit more info.

My oldest daughter was in a not-so-great Elementary school situation this last year in the Dallas area. Based on our research of the school, it seemed nice and the ratings were great, but ended up being a bit of a nightmare in the end from a cultural standpoint.

The teachers at the school always seemed to talk down to the students. They and the administrators seemed to have a very "old school" approach when it came to interacting with the children. They seemed to throw around the 'I'm the adult, you're the kid and you're inferior" mentality. Comments such as "You are the worst class" were made. Teachers seemed demeaning in their interaction with the kids. Yelling at the kids occurred.

They engaged in shaming of the students. One specific case is that my daughter had a serious case of a chronic illness. We visited the doctor several times throughout the year due to fever and received doctor's notes for every absence. Upon visiting with the principal later in the year, she made the comment that she felt we should not let our daughter "whine her way out of school" like she was some kind of a cry baby ignoring the fact that there was a legitimate medical concern and that all of the related absences had been excused by our physician.

I just don't want to get us into another situation similar to where we are. We're looking for a school where kindness and understanding is freely extended and individualism is promoted. No more talking down to the children please!

Looking forward to your thoughts and opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 07:26 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,423,131 times
Dripping Springs was just voted the best in Central Texas.

Dripping Springs ISD

Frankly, I am sick of AISD and all of their policies. DSISD is outshining AISD in so many ways. You can't go wrong with Dripping Springs. Rooster is a fine school, fairly new and better than most of AISD's elementary schools. People will try to challenge this, but DSISD was voted at the top for a reason, and you can't challenge that. What area are you looking to move to? Reunion Ranch, Belterra, Highpointe?

Old 06-10-2014, 07:36 PM

I just looked at the full rankings and was shocked to see Rooster ranked so low compared to other SW Austin schools. I find that odd. Rooster is one of the top schools in Austin. Not sure what their methodology was. Anyone have any kids that attend Rooster? Feedback?

Old 06-10-2014, 07:59 PM

2 posts, read 3,591 times
Thanks llkltk. We're looking at a home in Belterra at the moment.

I understand that most ratings are primarily based upon standardized testing scores, which while quantifiable, aren't really going to (on their own merit) provide what we are looking for in a school. Our current elementary school in Dallas is quite highly rated on all accounts, Exemplary per the TEA, 9/10 Great Schools rating, etc. That's all fine and great, but we're interested in the intangibles which aren't as easily measurable.

I appreciate the call out on DISD's approval rating from Children at Risk. I'll have to take a close look at to their methodology for reaching the conclusion that they did.

It's really more the culture of the school that I'm interested in. How do the teachers and staff treat the children? Is it a kind, nurturing environment? Do teachers yell at the students or demean them in any way? Again, difficult to measure or quantify and the reason I'm looking for personal feedback from those who have had children attend and experienced the environment.

Our daughter is sensitive, bright, and perceptive. We don't need another repeat of the last school year. Some close friends have had an extremely wonderful experience at Bee Cave Elementary, so we're considering that as another option and these being our top two choices.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:04 PM

I've heard nothing but good things about Rooster. Most kids that go there live in Belterra.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:11 PM

45 posts, read 56,838 times
My kids go to walnut springs but I have several friends who have kids that go to rooster. I've heard no complaints. Actually I don't think you can go wrong with any of the schools in Dripping. We had a similar experience with the school our boys went to in FL. The scores were great but the teachers and staff were so harsh. We have loved Walnut Springs! The teachers have been positive and nurturing. My boys have totally thrived there. I also have kids in the middle school and high school and they have been excellent!

Old 06-17-2014, 12:27 AM

88 posts, read 105,947 times
I taught in Dripping before real estate. It's a great school district. Rooster is more contained because the kids come from the same area. Walnut and DS have parents from a wide area- so ranch kids and planned neighborhood kids, etc. More driving for play dates, but more diverse and interesting population. My kids attend Walnut and I love it. The staff is exceptional and know my kids by name and look out for them. They are opposites-one sensitive, bright. The other athletic and social. Bee cave would be more diverse as well. It's a nice school. You really can't go wrong.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:58 AM

3 posts, read 5,141 times
My son attended Kindergarten at Rooster last fall and will be in 1st grade this fall. It was a very positive experience, I have never heard anything negative about any of the teachers in the school. My son LOVED his teacher, she was wonderful. We live in Belterra and love it!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin