Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 11:09 AM

668 posts, read 783,666 times

Advertisements

We are considering both Great Hills and Jester as potential areas to move. I'm a software engineer and work near the Arboretum (likely to stay in this area even if I changed jobs as many tech positions are up here) and my husband is an attorney. What's the commute like these days in 2014 for folks having to drive to downtown courthouse-area from either Jester or Great Hills in the morning? My husband is usually leaving around 8.30 AM or so. I've seen threads from the past about this but they are old enough as to perhaps not be relevant with the new influx of traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 11:58 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,855,927 times
They're both pretty crappy. I'd maybe give Great Hills a small advantage, but it wouldn't be a significant enough difference to sway one way or the other.

Better hope court doesn't start until 9:30, if he's planning on leaving at 8:30.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:39 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,126,724 times
I think great hills is better. But it can depend on where in great hills. Some parts feed into bluffstone and you can cross 360 to take spicewood springs to mopac. The bluffstone light is slow though. Other parts along yaupon let you go under 360 (or if you wait at the light everyone turning left can go so you dont have to wait multiple cycles). Yet other parts might require you to get on 183 to mopac.

I dont do rush hour, but the times Ive had to do it I allot about 30 minutes. Possibly 40 if you get hosed on mopac. 10 minutes to get to mopac and spicewood springs, 20 minutes to get downtown. Jester is probably similar except you drive 2222 which I think is quite bad.

If you can afford jester/great hills you might look at northwest hills.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:54 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
I don't live in the Jester or Great Hills areas, but I used to live not far from either and commuting to downtown on 183/mopac/35 is a PITA. I'm in a similar situation as you and your spouse, I work downtown and have to deal with the courthouse a lot and my commute is 40 minutes. But that's ok, because I like where I live and my husband works at the Riata office complex.

If you find a home that you really like in either areas, I'd say go for it.

Old 06-13-2014, 02:34 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I don't live in the Jester or Great Hills areas, but I used to live not far from either and commuting to downtown on 183/mopac/35 is a PITA. I'm in a similar situation as you and your spouse, I work downtown and have to deal with the courthouse a lot and my commute is 40 minutes. But that's ok, because I like where I live and my husband works at the Riata office complex.

If you find a home that you really like in either areas, I'd say go for it.
Where do you live?

Old 06-14-2014, 01:39 AM

1,707 posts, read 2,983,903 times
You can park at a station and take a train into downtown from the areas your looking at:

http://www.capmetro.org/metrorail/

Old 06-14-2014, 10:51 AM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveUrban View Post
You can park at a station and take a train into downtown from the areas your looking at:

Riding MetroRail - Capital Metro - Austin Public Transit
What are you talking about? There isn't a train that runs remotely close to either Jester or Great Hills.

OP, although I think mileage wise Jester is closer, I think GH has less agonizing traffic if you can get out via Yaupon to Old Spicewood Springs then under 360 or Raincreek to Bluebonnet then across 360 to Spicewood Springs. 2222 is just the devil during rush hours.

Old 06-15-2014, 06:07 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,983,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
What are you talking about? There isn't a train that runs remotely close to either Jester or Great Hills.

OP, although I think mileage wise Jester is closer, I think GH has less agonizing traffic if you can get out via Yaupon to Old Spicewood Springs then under 360 or Raincreek to Bluebonnet then across 360 to Spicewood Springs. 2222 is just the devil during rush hours.
Yes there is. Great Hills is about 5 minutes away from Kramer Station.

Drive to the station, park, then take a train into downtown without having to deal with traffic or parking

Old 06-15-2014, 06:14 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,427 times
Quote:

Drive to the station, park, then take a train into downtown without having to deal with traffic or parking
Kramer and Braker is nowhere near a five minute drive from Great Hills in the morning or evening. And to suggest that it's even an option for the other area they're looking at - Jester - is pure comedy.

Old 06-15-2014, 07:09 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,277,620 times
Quote:

Would work great. Except that there is no on site parking at the Kramer station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin