Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 07:54 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,987,721 times

Advertisements

Hi,

we just moved into our home in Round Rock. The people that lived before us seemed to not mow their lawn the month leading up to them moving out. The grass was tall and I mowed all of it.. We had a exterminator come and spray also, in which he said we would be good for three months... My son went out in our yard to play and got bit up (even with bug repellent on)...He has bites all over his legs , and arms... I also had counted 16 bites on my left leg...It seems that whatever is biting, literally you don't feel , or see it.... Any idea on what these are? Chiggers, possibly fleas?? We have no animals and want to enjoy our backyard.... I even had jogging pants on and I managed to get bit right above my sock on my ankle lol.... any suggestions to what the heck is biting and how we can eradicate them from our lawn...I have kept the lawn short, there is no tall grass anywhere...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 08:28 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,223,452 times
I have no idea what is biting, that sounds miserable. We too have quarterly extermination services as well but I have DH spray the yard and the exterior of the house once a month in addition because we also have a dog and a couple of cats. I also keep cans of Deep Woods Off on our front and back porches. We don't go out in the early evening without coating ourselves.

Couple of weeks ago, my DD was at a friends, they were laying in the grass and she got eaten alive, she said the same thing, that she never saw or felt a bug

Old 06-16-2014, 08:59 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatnv View Post
I have no idea what is biting, that sounds miserable. We too have quarterly extermination services as well but I have DH spray the yard and the exterior of the house once a month in addition because we also have a dog and a couple of cats. I also keep cans of Deep Woods Off on our front and back porches. We don't go out in the early evening without coating ourselves.

Couple of weeks ago, my DD was at a friends, they were laying in the grass and she got eaten alive, she said the same thing, that she never saw or felt a bug
That definitely sounds like chiggers.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:43 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Quote:
and I managed to get bit right above my sock on my ankle
Also sounds like chiggers.

Old 07-06-2014, 10:50 AM

80 posts, read 121,806 times
I was wondering what type of bites I was getting.
-Small (in diameter)
- Raised
- Hard
-Noticeable the day after

I've been developing these after running a grassy area trail behind apartment. Usuall on lower leg. Never feel a bite while running (unlike mosquitoes).

So, most likely chiggers?

Old 07-06-2014, 11:35 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,278,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper TJ View Post
I've been developing these after running a grassy area trail behind apartment. Usuall on lower leg. Never feel a bite while running (unlike mosquitoes).

So, most likely chiggers?
To ask an indelicate question, do they gravitate to dark, moist areas on your clothed body, or are they on your extremities? If the former, most certainly chiggers.

Old 07-06-2014, 11:40 AM

80 posts, read 121,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
To ask an indelicate question, do they gravitate to dark, moist areas on your clothed body, or are they on your extremities? If the former, most certainly chiggers.

Both?

Sock lines, watch band area. Not in the nether-regions however.

Old 07-06-2014, 12:54 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,018 times
Chiggers. I get them when I weedeat the slope behind my house. These have been working really well for me:

Buzz Away Insect Repellent Towelettes:
Amazon.com: Buzz Away Insect Repellent Towelettes, Extreme, 12 Count Package: Health & Personal Care

Not cheap but effective. No DEET. They also make a spray version but I like these for around the neck etc...

Old 07-06-2014, 04:27 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,278,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper TJ View Post
Both?

Sock lines, watch band area. Not in the nether-regions however.
I'm with twange - chiggers.

My Mom used to dab clear nail polish on the chigger marks - to seal them in and kill them. I think as a ten year old boy, I was the one more likely to die - from embarrassment.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:15 AM

772 posts, read 1,060,076 times
Ha.. Is that what these are.. I have so many bits on me and I was just telling hubby that I never felt them till the next day, is raised and itches. I didn't think it was mosquitoes. We get our grass mowed every 2 weeks and exterminators every 2 months but they still get us. Will get done insect repellent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin