U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 05:00 PM

86,052 posts, read 82,999,226 times

Advertisements

Pflugerville is in the process of "growing up". If you think Pflugerville is lacking here's what Pflugerville was like a mere 10 years ago:
- there was but 1 or 2 lights in the stretch of 1825 from I-35 over to 685 and there were no lights at all on 685 and it was mostly traveled by tractors.
- Gaddy's and the gas station next to it were pretty much the only businesses on 685
- The closest HEB was along I-35 (in Austin)
-Brookhollow elementary was the school all the "country kids" went to
-Pflugerville High was the only high school
-The library was in a residential home in Old Town (anyone remember that ?)
-Blackhawk was a fairly new subdivision and was considered out in the middle of nowhere
-Population was a little over 7000 when I moved there and the old Post Office only had 4 parking spots but was never crowded !
-Hutto only had 3 police officers for the entire town and the population was listed in the hundreds..not thousands.

So both towns have come a long way and with 130 and 45 they will grow even quicker now. But I would have to say that both towns really need to get their roads in place..a 1 family farm replaced with an 800 home subdivision all travelling on a 1 lane country road is not good for the town (same with Hutto).

Sorry for the long post....once I started travelling down memory lane the words just flowed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 10:39 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,237,850 times
What do you mean Hutto was like that when I first moved here 3 years ago. Nothing but the sonic, regions bank, wag a bag, and 7-11, and the old downtown area where here. There's some road expansion going on right now in Hutto as we speak along 79 and towards RR. 1660 is also being rerouted and expanded.

Old 10-29-2007, 01:25 AM

343 posts, read 1,592,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
Only move to Pflugerville and Hutto if you like driving a lot for everything. I'm sure some Pfers and Huts will come to defend it but if your activities extend beyond going to McDonalds, HEB, and Blockbuster you better like filling up your gas tank an awful lot.
I greatly disagree on that for families......now, someone living in a rural area in west texas, utah, whathaveyou, that needed to drive for groceries and shopping would be inconvenienced, but the north and northwest city and suburban areas have plenty of shopping and services. Round rock even has the dell diamond minor league ball park, a fun place for families in the summer. Most of the decent jobs are in the north and northwest areas, so its conceivable that a commute from pflugerville might be 15-20 minutes at most. You have movie theaters in the suburbs, family fun places for parties, you can drive to lake travis and other places, and the schools are all there. I can spend a few weeks happily out in the burbs without ever going to Austin. It's just there if you need it. The burbs are all self contained, have some great restaurants as well, and more than a few watering holes. Maybe the best thing is you see very few bums, unlike Austin proper, and you get a very much more family atmosphere, which isn't there in the city.
You can actually see loads of kids walking to school, mothers pushing buggies, and such. Round Rock and Georgetown are nicer than Pflugerville, though Pflug is a bit cheaper. Pflug is growing, but a little more working class than the others, with cheaper home construction(you get what you pay for). Cedar park is a little better than pflug, but cheaper as well than RR or Georgetown. Might want to look into that. The general flavor of all these areas is the same as the outskirt suburbia in Atlanta, Chicago, Denver, etc. same big boxes and restaurant fanchises. I could think of worse places to live in. And why is a safe, fresh, new suburban area so bad, especially the affordable ones we have in suburban Austin?

Old 10-29-2007, 08:11 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,237,850 times
I would disagree too. I really don't have to drive very far at all to get to most things. I really don't need to go into Austin to have a mom and pop dining experience, go to a farmers market or market days. They are here as well as there. If I want to go to a movie, about 10 or so minutes by backroad, I go to the theatre by backroad to the one at the outlets. Need to shop? Go to the outlets. Glad I don't have to drive to Lakeline now. Groceries? 10 minute drive. I know, I know..."drive" would be the operative word for some people. I don't really have to drive to everything either, although some things are hard to get to without doing that. I can walk to eat out, get my hair and nails done, get basic groceries if I run low on something, can walk to several parks, if I need something at home depot. Lake Travis only takes about 20-30 minutes, and we can store our boat just down the street from us. If we want to do something in Austin, we can and it only takes abt. 30 minutes to get there via toll road. These areas aren't as far out of the way as they once were.

Old 10-29-2007, 03:54 PM

1,803 posts, read 4,230,146 times
Easy access to the tollway and 35.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:00 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,291,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazcaly View Post
The area is growing and improving and while it may not have all of the wonderful things in Austin (like 6th Street), it also doesn't have many of the not so wonderful things (bums living under the freeway at 6th Street).
Plenty of "bums" under the bridge at the Plugerville exit from I-35, though.

Old 10-31-2007, 04:00 PM

That I-35 exit bridge is actually in Austin..not Pflugerville. You have to go a bit on 1825 before you reach the Pflugerville city limits.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:04 PM

135 posts, read 727,542 times
My husband and I just signed all the paperwork to build a house in Pflugerville

Old 10-31-2007, 08:10 PM

3,225 posts, read 13,886,305 times
Congrats! Blackhawke?

Old 10-31-2007, 08:24 PM

Good luck on your new venture txbreeze01
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin