Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2014, 03:49 PM

2 posts, read 2,638 times

Advertisements

I am a disabled parent with a pre-adolescent child seeking to relocate to the Austin area. What are the best areas with subsidized/low-income housing & good schools for me to direct my search? It does not have to be in Austin city proper; could be in adjacent towns or cities. Another criteria is best resources available for disabled & low-income persons as I will be starting over with nothing. I will need reasonable access to transportation & quality specialized medical care for myself & child, but as long as I have access to transportation to & from, am willing to travel into more metropolitan area as needed for medical needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 04:06 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,854,619 times
I would say that Austin, out of the "big four" cities in Texas, would be the worst option. Public transit is non-existent from outside the Austin area, and subsidized housing/good schools tend to be mutually exclusive around here. If you do find it, the transit piece is going to jump up and be a stopper.

I'd try the same search in San Antonio.

Old 06-16-2014, 04:10 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,213,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
I would say that Austin, out if the "big four" cities in Texas, would be the worst option. Public transit is non-existent from outside the Austin area, and subsidized housing/good schools tend to be mutually exclusive around here. If you do find it, the transit piece is going to jump up and be a stopper.

100% Agree. And Austin is the most expensive of them all. And, while Austin has some good medical care/hospitals, Houston (especially)and Dallas offer some of the best in the country in addition to a lot more options.

Also, not sure where you are now, OP, but why Austin/TX?

Old 06-16-2014, 04:44 PM

2 posts, read 2,638 times
Thanks for prompt replies, Idlewile & RoadWarrior12! In response to Idlewile's query "Why Austin?", currently in East Texas between Houston & Dallas in middle of nowhere! Dallas too far north (cold weather aggravates medical condition) & knowledgeable of Houston's options (been there, done that). Austin because a long-time friend is seeking to relocate to either Austin or California from another country to start new business & I'm a Texan through & through, couldn't possibly consider California! Please bear with me as I'm totally new to forums & posting.

Old 06-16-2014, 05:00 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Cost of living and rents in Austin are some of the highest in the State, plus there is a housing shortage here due to the constant growth, so competition for available rentals is fierce. A lot of lower and middle income families are being priced out of their neighborhoods. I don't see those factors working out very well for family2.

Texas is also a low public service state, so what limited services there are probably have a long waiting list and I imagine anyone who has just moved here is going to go on the bottom of a very long waiting list. I recommend you check this out very carefully before you uproot your family and try to move here with limited resources to get you by.

Old 06-16-2014, 05:06 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,968,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
I would say that Austin, out of the "big four" cities in Texas, would be the worst option. Public transit is non-existent from outside the Austin area, and subsidized housing/good schools tend to be mutually exclusive around here. If you do find it, the transit piece is going to jump up and be a stopper.

Why San Antonio? Better public transportation? Better school districts? Better hospitals?

Old 06-16-2014, 05:18 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,854,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
Why San Antonio? Better public transportation? Better school districts? Better hospitals?
Better combination of everything the OP is looking for, without the sacrifices they'd have to make to force Austin to work.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:03 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
The last time I checked, the wait time for subsidized housing in the city of Austin was close to 8 years. I will try to find more current information.

Here, according to the city, the wait list for Section 8 housing isn't even OPEN! They hope to open the wait list for 8 days in October. AND then they will hold a lottery from among "all complete and unduplicated pre-applications received online will be entered into an online random lottery to select 2,500 pre-applications that will ultimately be placed on the waiting list and the order of placement."
Community Resources | Housing Authority of the City of Austin

Texas in general and Austin in particularly is a very tough place to be poor and disabled and dependent on public transportation. Do you have any family network here to help out?

Last edited by centralaustinite; 06-16-2014 at 07:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin