Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 01:31 PM

895 posts, read 1,233,077 times

Advertisements

Lamar...particularly around rundberg. Good lord. Some of the strangest peoe ever. And another alarming thing is the amount homeless I see see throughout Austin proper. Its incredable I've never seen so many homeless people in my life.

Old 06-22-2014, 01:42 PM

772 posts, read 1,053,705 times
Really, you've never seen that many homeless people? Wow.. Guess you've never been to San Francisco or even New York. Yeah, there aren't that many homeless people in Chicago downtown area because I seem to remember when I first moved to Chicago being told that downtown used to have way more homeless till mayor Daley moved them out or something like that. I would think that you as a native Chicagoan ( you are, right?) would remember that.

In terms of lamar/runberg area, it didn't seem that weird or bad to me but i guess ymmv. What makes it so strange. Different kinda people? .In terms of weirdness, i always found quite a few areas in Chicago like Wilson/Broadway very weird. And it certainly doesn't have the kind of crime you would find in Chicago south side or west side.

Old 06-22-2014, 01:48 PM

Honestly I rarely saw homeless in Chicago but then again I wasn't in Chicago nearly as much as I'm in Austin proper. But its seriously really hard to find an intersection without a homeless person occupying it in Austin. Its just sad...and you don't know whose real homeless and whose not. Saw a person near Barton creek mall walking from a parking lot on his cell phone with a homeless sign...

As far as Lamar...idk there are just some characters there. Same thing with burnet near the heb. Could just be me and my experiences. Just a really odd crowd Lol. Again nothing personal...not trying to irk anyone. Just wondering if it was only me.

Old 06-22-2014, 02:00 PM

772 posts, read 1,053,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny12 View Post
Honestly I rarely saw homeless in Chicago but then again I wasn't in Chicago nearly as much as I'm in Austin proper. But its seriously really hard to find an intersection without a homeless person occupying it in Austin. Its just sad...and you don't know whose real homeless and whose not. Saw a person near Barton creek mall walking from a parking lot on his cell phone with a homeless sign...

As far as Lamar...idk there are just some characters there. Same thing with burnet near the heb. Could just be me and my experiences. Just a really odd crowd Lol. Again nothing personal...not trying to irk anyone. Just wondering if it was only me.
Lol..Don't worry, i'm not a long time Austinite only been here about 6 months.. And yes while I have noticed homeless people at intersections, since if them look very well dressed. There is the guy at 183/lakeline just across from the HEB.. Looks so well dressed and had a cellphone and T-shirt tucked into his black trousers.

Anyway the point I was making was just that in places like SF, the homeless issue was on another level.. So perhaps just coming from there most recently, I don't think this is a big deal at all

Old 06-22-2014, 02:03 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,945,026 times
Quote:
Lamar...particularly around rundberg. Good lord. Some of the strangest peoe ever. And another alarming thing is the amount homeless I see see throughout Austin proper. Its incredable I've never seen so many homeless people in my life.
Quote:

Homeless people aren't weird. People down on their luck/impoverished aren't weird. Dealers and working girls aren't weird. You need to leave your suburb more often.

Old 06-22-2014, 02:19 PM

I'm not sure how you translated that I said homeless people were weird? I actually said that it was sad. The weird part of my post had to do with the general crowd in those areas...so yeah..

Old 06-22-2014, 02:36 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,945,026 times
Quote:
I'm not sure how you translated that I said homeless people were weird? I actually said that it was sad. The weird part of my post had to do with the general crowd in those areas...so yeah..
You added the part about the number of homeless in Austin directly after talking about those in a particular area being "weird" in a post you started and titled "I figured out why people say Austin is weird."

Last edited by Debsi; 06-22-2014 at 03:16 PM.. Reason: Personal

Old 06-22-2014, 02:40 PM

I have been on this site for 6 months. Never had an account before. Don't really see what youre getting at...was something I said in my original post or any post following that wrong?

Is there not homeless all over Austin?

Is there not strange crowds around Lamar?

But to be honest anytime someone posts in the Austin forum about something good people automatically start crying about the growth, the traffic, the this a d that. Anytime someone says something questionable or bad about Austin YALL whine like a bunch of babies. Get over it. There are an incredable amount of homeless throughout Austin . I literally drive pasts tents made out of dirty old blankets and carts under 183 before Lamar, or the lady sitting their with her mabgeled dogs, or the black woman who is single mom by breaker, or the Vietnam vet on the other side of breaker, or the native American by target under 183, or the nicely dressed guy that walks like he has. a bad leg by lakeline mall, or....

Old 06-22-2014, 02:42 PM

Or the guy who I see sleeping in his sleeping bag near the norwood Walmart under 183 and Cameron. I can literally make an entire notebook of the amount of regular homeless I see throughout the city. It shouldn't be normal. Its sad. Something should be done to fix and try to help these people (the real honesless who,have tried and cannot get a job) off the streets. I don't care where you've been or what city is worse. I've never seen more homeless people anywhere I've been throughout the USA then right here. Sorry bud. It is what it is.

Old 06-22-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
You added the part about the number of homeless in Austin directly after talking about those in a particular area being "weird" in a post you started and titled "I figured out why people say Austin is weird."

If you truly believe this then you obviously have even worse reading comprehension issues than you normally exhibit.

Okay but I also clearly separated them by saying I also find it odd that.....yada yada...its sad. Never did I say...the homeless people in Austin are weird. Next time read a little better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin