Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 06:30 AM

51 posts, read 117,479 times

Advertisements

Looking to get away from the insane nonstop heat and get a nice change of scenery.

We have two kids, a 5 year old and a 6 month old. We like living here but the weather is miserable 6-7 months out of the year, and I'm tired of fighting off scorpions crawling around. The desert is no place for me. We like the town we're in now, but could use a change of people and living conditions. We live in one of those communities where the houses are nice, but there are no yards and every house is about 6-7 feet apart from each other, we need some space.

Basically, looking for that good old place where everyone is friendly, you can leave some bikes laying out outside and not worry about someone coming along and taking them, and you can leave your door unlocked and not have to worry about anything. It's very crowded here and there are some shady people that are sometimes lurking about, but all in all it's not too bad. So basically I am just wondering what towns in And around Austin would be a great fit for a family? We're pretty laid back and relaxed. Enjoy some fishing and movies and meeting new people. Any info at all would be great, thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 06:41 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
ummm . . . we also have quite hot weather! And Austin is more humid than Phoenix too. I can't see Austin summers as much improvement over Phoenix. We also have many MANY developments where houses are 10 feet apart, five feet on each side of the lot line.

What's your price point and do you have a job lined up in Austin?

For a bit cooler weather, have you considered Nashville or Chatanooga TN? Denver? Colorado Springs?

Old 06-23-2014, 07:02 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,216,960 times
Uh, summers here are no improvement over Phoenix.

Our friends in Scottsdale constantly remind us they've got it easy over us -- "at least it's a dry heat." We took a weather vacation (away from here) to Scottsdale last August. Felt the same or cooler in AZ bc it's so dry in contrast to here.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:02 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,278,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
I can't see Austin summers as much improvement over Phoenix.
Phoenix average summer highs:

June - 104
July - 106
August - 105
September - 100

Austin average summer highs:

June - 92
July - 96
August - 97
September - 91

Old 06-23-2014, 07:05 AM

(And NONE of this accounts for HUMIDITY levels)

Curious HOW HOT 'summer' is in Austin? Spend some time looking at the numbers….

Summer 2011
KVUE had this link (which another user posted a wile back) that provided insane numbers. They've since re-vamped their site and the link is lost. Here's a more genreal snapshot http://www.weather.com/outlook/weath...ves_2011-07-15

Summer 2013

MAY 2013
Number of days temps 98+ =
Number of day temps 100+ =
Highest high during the month = 96 degrees

JUNE 2013 Weather History for Austin, TX | Weather Underground
Number of days temps 98+ = 13 days
Number of day temps 100+ = 5 days
Highest high during the month = 108 degrees

jULY 2013 Weather History for Austin, TX | Weather Underground
Number of days temps 98+ = 17 days
Number of day temps 100+ = 11 days
Highest high during the month = 105 degrees

AUGUST 2013 Weather History for Austin, TX | Weather Underground
Number of days temps 98+ = 25 days
Number of day temps 100+ = 20 days
Highest high during the month = 107

SEPTEMBER 2013 Weather History for Austin, TX | Weather Underground
Number of days temps 98+ = 9 days
Number of day temps 100+ = 6 days
Highest high during the month = 104

OCTOBER 2013 Weather History for Austin, TX | Weather Underground
Number of days temps 98+ = 0
Number of day temps 100+ = 0
Highest high during the month = 93
Mean temp: 85
Rate this post positively

Old 06-23-2014, 07:07 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMacaroni View Post
Looking to get away from the insane nonstop heat and get a nice change of scenery.

We have two kids, a 5 year old and a 6 month old. We like living here but the weather is miserable 6-7 months out of the year, and I'm tired of fighting off scorpions crawling around. The desert is no place for me. We like the town we're in now, but could use a change of people and living conditions. We live in one of those communities where the houses are nice, but there are no yards and every house is about 6-7 feet apart from each other, we need some space.

Basically, looking for that good old place where everyone is friendly, you can leave some bikes laying out outside and not worry about someone coming along and taking them, and you can leave your door unlocked and not have to worry about anything. It's very crowded here and there are some shady people that are sometimes lurking about, but all in all it's not too bad. So basically I am just wondering what towns in And around Austin would be a great fit for a family? We're pretty laid back and relaxed. Enjoy some fishing and movies and meeting new people. Any info at all would be great, thanks everyone!
That's probably not going to happen in Austin, or any of its surrounding areas.

Yes, Phoenix heat is insane, but even though the Austin area's temperatures don't generally reach those of Phoenix, you're trading an oven heat for a sauna heat, with Austin's high humidity. You won't gain much (if anything) on the comfort scale when you trade one for the other.

Some of those who live in Austin will tell you it's not humid, but coming from dry Phoenix, you WILL notice it.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:13 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
Actual temps in Phoenix are going to be hotter than Austin, no doubt about that. But if my main reason for leaving Phoenix was to escape the heat, would Austin be the obvious choice? I don't think so.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:13 AM
hts

762 posts, read 2,163,368 times
Funny. We moved from Phoenix (Anthem) to Austin earlier this month with our kids. So far we love it!

I don't know if the weather for the first three weeks of June has been typically (or unseasonably cool), but so far this is *much* more comfortable for us than the Phx summer, and I'm one of the crazies that's pretty comfortable up until about 105 in Phoenix.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hts View Post
Funny. We moved from Phoenix (Anthem) to Austin earlier this month with our kids. So far we love it!

I don't know if the weather for the first three weeks of June has been typically (or unseasonably cool), but so far this is *much* more comfortable for us than the Phx summer, and I'm one of the crazies that's pretty comfortable up until about 105 in Phoenix.
Just you wait....

Old 06-23-2014, 07:17 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,102,284 times
In addition, I would not recommend leaving bikes around and leaving doors unlocked in Austin. Although we don't have a high violent crime rate, there is a lot of property crime. We moved from northern CA. I would not call that a totally safe area, but there is much more property crime reported about here. We have lots of warnings from our HOA to lock up, park cars in garages rather than streets, don't leave garage doors open, etc.

I have never lived in AZ, but I have spent quite a bit of time in Tucson, and the weather there is similar to Austin, only drier, as many have said.

If you were to move out a distance from the center of Austin, you could get some space, but you don't mention where your job would be. Commute traffic is bad here.

I can understand your wanting a change from Phoenix, but I'm not sure Austin is your place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin