Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 09:31 AM

3 posts, read 3,516 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We are a family living in the Bay Area who are relocating to Austin area due to my husband's work.
His work is in Leander and we are looking for information on apartments that accepts large dogs. We are looking to rent for at least a year and after that, we will purchase a home.
I've read that, Leander has a good school but wanted inputs from locals.
Our daughter is currently 7.5 months old and we are looking to eventually put her in a Jewish daycare/school for her first 4 years. Any suggestions?

What are the local grocery stores? Malls? Great parks?

We are looking forward to moving to Austin!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 09:43 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,036,817 times
Roscoe Properties is your best bet for dogs! They do not have breed or size restrictions. Not sure if they manage any properties in Leander. I think the closest one will be Pecan Creek. Note: the Austin rental market is very tight so having a large dog will restrict your choices.

Property Management | Commercial Real Estate | Apartment Management | Austin TX | Roscoe Properties

Jewish daycares will be at JCC in NW Hills and at Congregation Beth Israel in central Austin.
Shalom Austin Jewish Community - Jewish Community Association of Austin
Congregation Beth Israel, Austin, TX - Early Childhood - CDC

Old 06-23-2014, 09:46 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,468,054 times
Leander the city is different from Leander the Independent School District; so we need a bit more info on actual job location(nearest large intersection, for example). There are parts of Leander that are rather congested and parts that are still ranch land, so it's hard to talk specifics. The best location might be in the city of Cedar Park or Austin or Georgetown or Round Rock...all depending on specifics.

I'm not aware of Jewish daycare; but the area is growing like crazy...I'm sure some of the folks more familiar with area daycare will chime in.

That large dog apartment may be problematic...need specifics there, also.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:54 AM

My husband will be working at the newest Costco in Cedar Park, which is on E Whitestone Blvd and Toll Rd.
Our dog is a large lab.
We are looking for something close to that specific Costco as we only have one car currently.

I'm also looking for a job to start sometimes soon, I am a Developmental Behavior Therapist (working with children with Autism).

thanks,

Old 06-23-2014, 09:56 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,227,177 times
First question because it will impact the kinds of recommendations that are made - what's your budget for a rental? Also, do you want to live in an apartment or would leasing a house be an option? (It might be easier to find a house to lease that allows large dogs than an apartment that will do so.)

Whether or not a school is a good school is only part of the question. I've learned through personal experience and feedback that a school can be great for one kid, and terrible for another - even in the same family, because of different learning styles and personalities.

HEB (and its upscale big brother, Central Market) is the primary grocery store here, but we're also the home of Whole Foods, and we have a few Randalls, Sprouts, Trader Joe has just come to town, and several others. What will be convenient to you depends, of course, on where you land, but there WILL be an HEB nearby - it's a Texas chain and they are everywhere.

There are a few malls and shopping centers (outdoor malls for all practical purposes) - Barton Creek Mall south, the Domain and Lakeline Mall north are some that spring immediately to mind, but there's lots more.

Lots of parks throughout the Austin area, but, of course, Zilker Park with Barton Springs is the crown jewel. If hiking is your thing Pedernales Falls or Goodwater Trail in Georgetown (26 miles around Lake Georgetown and extending to San Gabriel Park) are just a couple of the hiking trails in the area.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:03 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,553,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USCfan2009 View Post
His work is in Leander and we are looking for information on apartments that accepts large dogs.
I would focus on an apartment in Cedar Park. It's a tad bit closer to Austin than Leander with lots of shopping and amenities. When we temporarily searched for and lived in an apartment for 5 months last year, it seemed that most complexes allowed at least medium sized dogs (if not large) with a pet deposit/monthly fee. We were at the MAA owned "Colonial Grand at Silverado Reserve" in Cedar Park and many of our neighbors had what looked like large dogs around us. One that lived above us liked to jump around at 4am every morning.

Leander ISD is generally a good school district, but individual schools are better (some much better) than others within the district. Greatschools.org is a good start when evaluating specific schools.

HEB is the main grocery store chain around here and is generally very good. Cedar Park should provide all the shopping that you need and has an average indoor shopping mall (Lakeline) along with many nice strip malls. The Jewish daycare might not be found up in that area though around Leander. As stated, Far West/NW Hills is the known Jewish area around here.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:23 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,553,184 times
Quote:
My husband will be working at the newest Costco in Cedar Park, which is on E Whitestone Blvd and Toll Rd.
Our dog is a large lab.
We are looking for something close to that specific Costco as we only have one car currently.
Ahh, in that case, check out this place (Landmark at Arboleda). He can seriously walk to work and it's perfectly safe to make that walk at 2am if he had to. I know people that currently live in there and it's fine. It's still an apartment of course so you will be dealing with the typical apartment woes, but nothing out of the ordinary. They have a small dog so I know that they take dogs. I'm not sure if they have a size requirement or not.

Apartments Cedar Park TX | Landmark at Arboleda

With that said, if you are leasing for an entire year, you should also look at Cedar Park Town Center for actual single family home rentals. You can get leases on single family homes for under $1500 and those are also walking distance to Costco.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:44 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,750,276 times
Quote:
Hi all, We are a family living in the Bay Area who are relocating to Austin area due to my husband's work.
His work is in Leander and we are looking for information on apartments that accepts large dogs. We are looking to rent for at least a year and after that, we will purchase a home.
I've read that, Leander has a good school but wanted inputs from locals.
Our daughter is currently 7.5 months old and we are looking to eventually put her in a Jewish daycare/school for her first 4 years. Any suggestions?

What are the local grocery stores? Malls? Great parks?

We are looking forward to moving to Austin!
- You're getting lots of good advice in the posts above. Definitely look to live near his work (a nice suburban area & probably cheaper than 80% of greater Austin)....& you also might be able to find a SFH to rent near his work.

- Lakeline is the closest shopping Mall. Also, lots of shopping up & down old US 183 & along Parmer.

- HEB is THE grocery store in your area....& of course you hubby works at Costco.

- Great walking park along Brushy Creek (near Parmer). & lots of other parks nearby.

- No idea about Jewish daycare.

Good luck on your move

Old 06-23-2014, 12:01 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,468,054 times
And the bike trail that connects with the Brushy Creek Trail actually intersects the driveways at Costco! I second the Town Center house rental option...fenced back yards and two car garages...lots of pups out there!

Old 06-23-2014, 01:22 PM

THANK YOU all for such great advice. We are looking to rent an apartment and buy a home within the first year. I'll look up the Town Center rentals as well!

thank you again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin