Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 09:41 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,398,200 times

Advertisements

You have a zoo in SA and a zoo in Waco.
Makes for a nice day trip.

Does everything have to be within a 20 minute drive inside the city limits ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 09:52 AM

13,444 posts, read 15,444,605 times
Well I grew up with the Bronx Zoo and the New York Aquarium. Those are the least things that I miss.

My tone is somewhat surly because for years Austin didn't even have the "mediocre" versions that we have now. Someone, whether it be a for-profit or a non-profit entity, decided to change that and start up both attractions from scratch. Instead of putting them down, why don't you contribute more so that the Austin Zoo can grow? Why don't you back up your words with your wallet? I applaud the Austin Zoo for being a rescue sanctuary. They are not designed to have a monorail and drive through safari. Then again, the admission is still relatively inexpensive, and the value for the cost is still good. I will continue to support through my patronage such a worthwhile cause as the Austin Zoo. As for the Aquarium, it's a fun venue for my kids and they ask to go there regularly. It isn't world class, but it is fun. If you want more, then again, back up your words with your wallet.

Austin needs to fix its transportation issues to "compete with the big boys" long before it needs to even think about funding a zoo or an aquarium or some Riverwalk ripoff. The downtown area is lacking IMO compared to Manhattan, despite the high rents. I like the fact that Austin isn't like the "big boys" because if it is, then hell I'd just stay in New York City, where at least you can ride from 241st Street in the Bronx to Coney Island, Brooklyn for $2.75 and you have way more. I wanted to leave the big city behind, not turn the fine city of Austin into the city where I was born.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:56 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,352,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Well I grew up with the Bronx Zoo and the New York Aquarium. Those are the least things that I miss.

My tone is somewhat surly because for years Austin didn't even have the "mediocre" versions that we have now. Someone, whether it be a for-profit or a non-profit entity, decided to change that and start up both attractions from scratch. Instead of putting them down, why don't you contribute more so that the Austin Zoo can grow? Why don't you back up your words with your wallet? I applaud the Austin Zoo for being a rescue sanctuary. They are not designed to have a monorail and drive through safari. Then again, the admission is still relatively inexpensive, and the value for the cost is still good. I will continue to support through my patronage such a worthwhile cause as the Austin Zoo. As for the Aquarium, it's a fun venue for my kids and they ask to go there regularly. It isn't world class, but it is fun. If you want more, then again, back up your words with your wallet.

Austin needs to fix its transportation issues to "compete with the big boys" long before it needs to even think about funding a zoo or an aquarium or some Riverwalk ripoff. The downtown area is lacking IMO compared to Manhattan, despite the high rents. I like the fact that Austin isn't like the "big boys" because if it is, then hell I'd just stay in New York City, where at least you can ride from 241st Street in the Bronx to Coney Island, Brooklyn for $2.75 and you have way more. I wanted to leave the big city behind, not turn the fine city of Austin into the city where I was born.
Wild applause!

Old 06-25-2014, 10:22 AM

213 posts, read 301,277 times
While some monkeys and other smaller species tend to live slightly longer in captivity, and sick animals that may die in the wild can survive better/longer in captivity, larger species almost always die younger and for anyone that tries to argue that an animal is better off in a zoo or they don't know the difference, etc., I suggest you go live in a minimum security prison where you are fed and taken care for a few days and then report back on which way of life you like better. I'm not a big animal rights person or anything, it's just common sense IMO. There are much more terrific causes that need to be championed in and around Austin other than a glitzy zoo or aquarium. If we could get an MLS partnership with UT that would play at the mike myers soccer stadium, that'd be sweet. Carry on...

Zoo Elephants Die Very Young

Killer Whales in Captivity - Killer Whale Facts and Information

Ten Fast Facts about Captive Orcas and Dolphins

Old 06-25-2014, 11:29 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,398,200 times
Why not enhance what you already have...Ladybird Johnson Wildflower Center ?
I visited it quite often when I lived in the Austin area.
I'm still a member though and donate.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:49 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,495,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post

Mad truth spoken here. Well said!

Old 06-25-2014, 12:53 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,523,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Okay, so Austin was a small sleepy southern town until the 1990's, at the time it didn't need a world class zoo or an aquarium. Fast forward to 2014 and Austin is the fastest growing city in America and the largest:
* without a pro sports team
* without a world class zoo
* without a world class aquarium

Even Galveston and Corpus Christi have better aquariums than us and they are far smaller, San Antonio zoo rocks and ours well, isn't really a zoo.

When are the citizens going to start demanding some better amenities here? I understand about the pro sports and I don't really want the discussion to head in that direction, we have talked about that at length.

What I'm talking about mainly is a zoo and an aquarium. I believe that a "real city" must have those things. The Austin Aquarium is a joke and so is the zoo.

Why do we accept mediocre attractions? Is there nobody that is bothered by this besides me?
I think you're in a minority of people who care about this stuff. There just doesn't seem to be a huge demand in Austin for these kind of amenities, especially with San Antonio and Houston nearby. Like others have mentioned in this thread, I think more Austinites are concerned about Austin's affordability and woefully-inadequate transportation system than anything else.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:55 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,864,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You have a zoo in SA and a zoo in Waco.
Makes for a nice day trip.

Does everything have to be within a 20 minute drive inside the city limits ?
It would be nice.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:57 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,864,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Why not enhance what you already have...Ladybird Johnson Wildflower Center ?
I visited it quite often when I lived in the Austin area.
I'm still a member though and donate.
I went there once during wildflower season, what a total ripoff. You can see more wildflowers on the side of the road going down 360.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:00 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,352,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I went there once during wildflower season, what a total ripoff. You can see more wildflowers on the side of the road going down 360.
Likewise thanks to Lady Bird Johnson, who was the mover and shaker who got all of that kind of thing started.

When exactly did you go to the Wildflower Center? I've been a few times, and it being wildflowers, some times are better than others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin