Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2014, 11:37 AM

653 posts, read 1,793,881 times

Advertisements

How deep are utilities required to bury their pipes and wires?

I found a white pvc pipe buried in my yard, it is maybe a 4" diameter pipe, and it comes in from the neighbor's yard, and ends in my yard, and has a cap on the end.
It was only a few inches deep, and then forced to bend so it could remain a few inches deep where my yard sloped.

My friend says I need to call the place people call before they dig.
But I am only digging a few inches, to level an area. I am going no deeper than one would go for a garden.
Should anything belonging to the utilities be this shallow, in my ground?
Or is it safe to just cut it off?

I really don't want to make my level area as high as this pipe is, as that means bringing in more dirt (or rock). I was hoping I could just move dirt from the high end of my yard to the lower end of the area I want level.
But if I am limited by this shallow pipe, I have to make my area at least that high.

I would ask my neighbor, but they don't speak any English. We have communicated a few times (barely).
Mostly we just say Hi to each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 11:41 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
Call!!

It is the safe thing to do and it is the law. In many places in Austin, the top soil is only 1-2 inches thick. I would not expect utilities to be buried very deeply.

Home Page | Texas 811

Old 07-04-2014, 01:32 PM

206 posts, read 298,854 times
average 24 inches and minimum below the frost line. call and have them mark it.

Old 07-04-2014, 03:10 PM

288 posts, read 811,604 times
It sounds like it's probably a cleanout of some sort. I'd have a plumber look at it if you want to try to bury it deeper.

I've done a fair amount of landscaping over the years and have found that plumbing, gas, electric and phone are buried plenty deep. Irrigation is only buried 6" deep, if that in many cases. Cable gets thrown on top of the ground and sod laid on top of it. That's the one to really watch out for.

In any event, if you're going to do any major digging, call 1 800 DIG TESS to get your utilities marked.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:47 AM

3,067 posts, read 8,405,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eileenkeeney View Post
How deep are utilities required to bury their pipes and wires?

I found a white pvc pipe buried in my yard, it is maybe a 4" diameter pipe, and it comes in from the neighbor's yard, and ends in my yard, and has a cap on the end.
It was only a few inches deep, and then forced to bend so it could remain a few inches deep where my yard sloped.

My friend says I need to call the place people call before they dig.
But I am only digging a few inches, to level an area. I am going no deeper than one would go for a garden.
Should anything belonging to the utilities be this shallow, in my ground?
Or is it safe to just cut it off?

I really don't want to make my level area as high as this pipe is, as that means bringing in more dirt (or rock). I was hoping I could just move dirt from the high end of my yard to the lower end of the area I want level.
But if I am limited by this shallow pipe, I have to make my area at least that high.

I would ask my neighbor, but they don't speak any English. We have communicated a few times (barely).
Mostly we just say Hi to each other.
Hard to say from your description what it might be. However a pipe that large in diameter can be some type of old drainage pipe (gutter downspouts or possibly area drains) or it can be an old sewage connection. It would definitely be in your benefit to find out exactly what it is and where it originates. Since it is only a few inches deep that is not much hand digging to trace it back to its origin.

As for utilities they can be from 12" to 6' deep depending on the utility. If you are going to be digging it sure does help to be safe and call for a utility locate so you don't unexpectedly find a line!

Old 07-05-2014, 07:51 AM

3,067 posts, read 8,405,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Call!!

It is the safe thing to do and it is the law. In many places in Austin, the top soil is only 1-2 inches thick. I would not expect utilities to be buried very deeply.

Home Page | Texas 811

I've done utility installations and they will bury them as deep as called for regardless of what is under the easily trenched soil. Had one job where the top soil was only about 12" deep, with bedrock below that, and we had to bury electric feeder in protective conduit down 3'+. We tore up one specialty trenching rig (specifically for cutting rock) trying to get down through and finally had to jackhammer a trench in the bedrock. Believe me running that 1000'+ was no fun at all!

Old 07-05-2014, 01:49 PM

653 posts, read 1,793,881 times
We are going to call before doing any more digging. After reading the information on the link provided in the first response, I learned that they want people to call even for planting bushes and other shallow type digging.

However,
I do not expect that this pipe will belong to any major utility.
So I am not sure what to do with it.

I want to cut it off at the point where I want to dig a bit deeper (assuming it is not claimed by any utility).

Is it safe to cut if no utility claims it?

Talking to the neighbors to determine what it is, is complicated since they speak so little English.
But I can see that they placed their Garden such that it looks like they also found this pipe, and decided to just place their garden next to it, and not over it.

I find it interesting that when my water main broke, and the plumbers could not tell exactly where the line was, based on how the water was spurting out in the yard, that they did not get anything marked before doing their major discovery digging.

But we will call on Monday.

I am still curious what the actual law is, regarding how deep utilities are supposed to bury their wires.

Thank you for all fo the responses.

Old 07-05-2014, 02:06 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,648,843 times
Iamwayne must not be down here. 24 inches and frost line..haha..good one

Old 07-05-2014, 03:28 PM

206 posts, read 298,854 times
Neddy must never worked hard labor digging trenches for electrical and plumbing to meet National Electric Code and City Of Austin code... haha... good one too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: