Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 08:16 PM

132 posts, read 291,298 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I will be visiting Austin again next month and wanted to try Flemings but I wanted to know if anyone have tried the restaurant and if it's good?

Any other great restaurants that ya'll recommend? I like Mexican, Itailian, American etc.

Thanks

Ty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 09:48 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,975,125 times
I consider it a corporate steakhouse. If I am taking my lady out for a nice steak and cocktails we go to the Austin Land and Cattle Company at 11th & N. Lamar. It's family owned and very comfortable.

And I don't work for them.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:17 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Flemings is a "formula" steakhouse. It has almost the exact same style as Sullivans, Ruth Chris, and Perrys. You get a $40 steak on a white plate. Everything else is a side dish.

That said, I have eaten at Flemings several times and found the beef very good. Their "Fleming potatoes" are very good.

I agree with car957 about "ALC." It is an independent steakhouse, locally owned, and doesn't follow the herd. I have heard good things about III Forks, but I have not been there. It is a chain.

Austin doesn't have a good reputation for Italian. I ate at Vespaio not too long ago. It was good, but I don't remember what I had. So it wasn't awesome, though it was expensive.

Some restaurants to consider:

Finn & Porter - odd but tasty combination of sushi and interesting American food. Some interesting cocktails too.

Uchi - I finally ate at Uchi a few months ago. Yes it is as good as its reputation. Inventive small plate Japanese food in a very noisy environment.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:59 AM
gdu

256 posts, read 699,637 times
Flemings is fine. For the money, I prefer Ruth's Chris, Perry's and Sullivan's. If you are coming to Austin, you should try some of the non-chain restaurants. Steiner Ranch Steakhouse has a great steak and a better view. Try one of their smoked steaks.

Moonshine is a great restaurant for out of towners.

Carmelo's is my favorite Italian place in town.

Chuy's/Hula Hut has the best experience for an out-of-towner eating TexMex. Vivo and Takoba have better and more authentic food.

Old 07-01-2014, 03:12 PM

550 posts, read 516,959 times
Flemings serves it's purpose and is a great spot. been there enjoyed it. was not disappointed

Vince Young's Steakhouse is a great place as well.,

If you want that good ol' American glut, just get a Hut's burger w/fries and call it a trip. you'll never forget a Hut's burger. the BEST burgers in town. hands down.

Tex Mex try ZTejas just up the street from Hut's...good food.

Old 07-01-2014, 05:37 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,095,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdu View Post
Flemings is fine. For the money, I prefer Ruth's Chris, Perry's and Sullivan's. If you are coming to Austin, you should try some of the non-chain restaurants. Steiner Ranch Steakhouse has a great steak and a better view. Try one of their smoked steaks.

Moonshine is a great restaurant for out of towners.

Carmelo's is my favorite Italian place in town.

Chuy's/Hula Hut has the best experience for an out-of-towner eating TexMex. Vivo and Takoba have better and more authentic food.
just FYI--
Vivo is closed.

Old 07-01-2014, 05:41 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Z Tejas isn't TexMex, though it is good. Z Tejas was one of the first places I remember featuring "Southwestern" cuisine. It ain't Tex Mex.

I can't fathom going to VY steakhouse - simply because of the name.

Old 07-01-2014, 05:45 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,095,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I can't fathom going to VY steakhouse - simply because of the name.
Trust me. It's the ONLY reason to go there. I've only been there once, and it was the day that Vince Young played QB for the Green Bay Packers. (We don't have cable.) We sat at the bar, watched the game, and had a fine time, but, yeah. I don't think I'll be going back.

At least it's not "Lance Armstrong Steakhouse".

Old 07-01-2014, 09:46 PM

997 posts, read 1,312,534 times
Didn't know Vivo closed! We went there a few times and always liked the food.

We go to Austin Land and Cattle every now and then, good food and reasonable pricing.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:41 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Z Tejas isn't TexMex, though it is good. Z Tejas was one of the first places I remember featuring "Southwestern" cuisine. It ain't Tex Mex.
I agree Z-Tejas is good but isn't TexMex (despite the name), and I never really thought Huts was that great of a burger. I'd suggest Wholly Cow or Mighty Fine, or even Dan's...

Fleming's is good but it is about the same as Ruth Chris or McCormick & Schmick's. Sullivans, III Forks, ALC are preferable for me if I'm going to drop $50+ per person for a steak dinner.

Estancia Churascurria is a great restaurant for a meat fix, too. Like your typical Fogo de Chao but local.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin