Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2014, 09:52 PM

5 posts, read 6,471 times

Advertisements

Will be heading to New Braunfels at the end of this week. Planning to take my 9 and 11 year old toobing. I have a few questions.

1. Is it an OK float for kids who are not strong swimmers (they will both be wearing life jackets)?
2. About how long is the float from Landa Falls? Is there a better place to put in?
3. What's a good company to rent from?
4. Do you have to go down the chutes and waterfalls or can you go around them somehow? If you can go around them, is it clearly marked which way you go to go around?

Any other advice? Thank you!!

Old 07-14-2014, 10:36 PM

15,273 posts, read 35,676,770 times
Quote:
1. Is it an OK float for kids who are not strong swimmers (they will both be wearing life jackets)?
Yes, with life jackets. The water is occasionally deep, but not terribly dangerous otherwise.

Quote:
4. Do you have to go down the chutes and waterfalls or can you go around them somehow? If you can go around them, is it clearly marked which way you go to go around?
I have not been in years, but I do not remember them being marked, so much as you saw the chute coming from a long way away and you just climbed out and went around.

Edit:

Here is a video of the approach to the chute. Not great, but gives you an idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32IJeA8uCo4&feature=kp

Old 07-14-2014, 10:46 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,572,392 times
Be sure to check conditions in case we get the amount of rain they say we 'might' get between now and then.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:00 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,789,656 times
Comments in post below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookeminCO View Post
Will be heading to New Braunfels at the end of this week. Planning to take my 9 and 11 year old toobing. I have a few questions.

They'll love it & They'll be fine...especially with a jacket. I lived in NB for 9 years & started taking my son down the Comal when he was 3.

2. About how long is the float from Landa Falls? Is there a better place to put in?

Landa Falls "put in" is at the Wurst Hall. & it's the best place to put in for lots of reasons (longest float on Comal, safest place to park etc.)

3. What's a good company to rent from? Landa Falls at the Wurstfest Wursthall.

You can walk around them & yes it's marked. There's only one "chute"....& only a couple of 1'-2' "falls". To avoid the chute, hop out on the bank to the LEFT before you get to the chute (everyone else will be merging over to the right where the chute entrance it). Then merely walk 50 yards down to where the chute empties out.

Locals (especially during the week on a hot afternoon) will toss a tube in off of that left bank, run the chute, get out, walk upstream 50 yards & repeat 4-5 times. (good times)

Any other advice? Thank you!!
I would go to the Texas Board (that way you get all Austin, San Antonio & Texas posts) & do a search for "Landa", & you'll see many threads on both Landa Falls AND Landa Park.

A "Tip" would be to check out Landa Park before hopping in the Comal. Go look at the Springs, feed the ducks, maybe hop on the train.....get hot & tired THEN hop in the Comal River at the Wurst Hall.

Another Tip is to get into the Comal River (on a hot weekend) no later than 11am. (otherwise you'll have a much more crowded float like in that video).

The float is 1.5-2.5 hours depending on the water flow. Here's an old thread & a link:

//www.city-data.com/forum/austi...ng-rivers.html

http://landafalls.com/

Last edited by hound 109; 07-15-2014 at 08:19 AM..

Old 07-15-2014, 06:19 PM

49 posts, read 139,385 times
I always rent from Landa River Trips: Landa RV & Campground

Cheap, great tubes and tons of parking.

Your kids will have a great time. If they get scared, you can always get off before the chute and then get back in after the chute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin